attaching panel to roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

I just received by 100W solar starter kit from Renogy.  I've read the materials and watched many videos.  One question I have (so far) is related to installing it on the roof.  I've seen videos where they put dicor on the bottom of each Z bracket, screw it down, and then seal the top thoroughly.  I've also seen installations where instead of dicor under the bracket they use a small strip of eternabond.  Are both right?  Is one better than the other?

Also - to hold the wires to the roof, should I use eternabond?

Thanks - Kass

My roof is ?rubber? over plywood. On my original install I used brackets that came with the high strength tape. Screws through the brackets and Dicor finished the mount. On a fiberglass roof they say that the tape alone is enough.

When I went to the SolaRVector Power tilt mounts I used 1/4-20 jack nuts. Probably overkill but...

The tape alone is enough on a fiberglass or metal roof, but with rubber roofs if you choose to use the tape, you also need to screw the brackets to the roof.  What I have done is apply dicor to the bottom of the brackets prior to setting in place and also to the threads of the screws, then apply a generous amount of dicor over and around the screw heads and the brackets where they attache to the roof.  Our rig is my third solar install and never had a leak.  To your question on securing the wires to the roof, there are 3-ways it can be done, 1) to use eternabond tape as you asked, 2) secure using zip ties with a base that have VHB tape on the underside 3) set the wires in strategically place beds of dicor.  On my first install I used the zip ties with a base method, but on my last two installs I have set the wires in beds of dicor.  I have not used Eternabond tape for securing wires for a couple reasons, the first is cost, Eternabond tape is expensive so I reserve it for repairing damage to the rubber roof and second Eternabond is a pain to remove adding extra work in the future should you need to replace or move the wires. 

For wire hold-downs I used the square blocks that accepts wire ties. Mine are held down with a screw then Dicor to weatherproof.

Wished I?d been smart enough to think of the tape for these and not used the screws.

When you say fiberglass roof are you talking Filon.
That is on my roof and it is only attached at edges and by vents and ACs.

Back
Top Bottom