rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Summer Plans  (Read 858 times)

KandT

• ---
COVID-19 and Summer Plans
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
Tough to tell when it will be safe to come within a 6 feet of someone again or when parks will reopen.

How is everyone handling their summer plans?

Still looking to buy our third RV from a C to and A to the next one.  I simply cant believe that in the entire country their were less than 1400 Class A's sold in February.  I have nothing against TT at all (might buy one) but I dont get the huge growth in TT compared to Class A's.

I wonder if the Boomers came through and bought "A's" and now the millennial are more interested in TT's. 

This data is mind boggling to me:  https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/rv-shipments-february-2020

Especially if you have to order your chassis's WAY in advance! 
2019 Ford F250 6.7 Deisel Crew Cab
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD - SOLD
American Car Dolly - SOLD
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD
Figuring out my next purchase.

SeilerBird

• ---
Re: COVID-19 and Summer Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:37:33 AM »
Plans???? Why would anyone make plans right now?

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:26 AM »
We are making plans.  Not set in stone, like our plans to go to Alaska this year (postponed for at least a year).  We are planning on visiting our kids and grandkids, using the motorhome ofcourse.  We have a son on Cape Cod, he and his wife are expecting their first son in late April.  May not get to hold and hug them, but we will "see" them.  Another son and his wife with two young ones in southern Maine - we will see them after going to Cape Cod.  I have a sister that lives on the Maine coast near Boothbay Harbor, we will visit her.  Then off to South Carolina where our daughter and husband with three young boys are.  IF things relax, we will do some other sightseeing and visits, around those travels.
Plans? Yes.  Set in stone? No.  Planning helps a lot of folks get through the day to day stuff.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:55:48 PM by phil-t »
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

jayc2640

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:47:35 AM »
We are full timers, and we're planning to spend the summer in the NW U.S., and then gradually work our way down to Phoenix by November for the winter.  We've been in that area several times and have seen most of the major tourist attractions, so this year we are focused on lesser known sights, and areas that we haven't been to. 

For example, we're talking about spending a month or so in Cody, WY, and NOT going to Yellowstone.  We've been to Yellowstone several times, including last year.  Now we want to see what else the area holds.

All plans are tentative, until the COVID-19 situation stabilizes, but that is the beauty of rving, you can re-write your plan at a moment's notice!
- John Coffey
2018 Winnebago Forza 38F
2016 Chevrolet Equinox

malexander

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
I'm still planning on going to Oshkosh........same as always, unless EAA cancels or postpones it.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Van's RV9A.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
I'm still planning on going to Oshkosh........same as always, unless EAA cancels or postpones it.
Will you RV or will you RV9?  8) ;D
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

malexander

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:11 AM »
Will you RV or will you RV9?  8) ;D

I'll Bounder this year. ;D I'll do the RV9A next year. the -9 isn't flying yet, I'll finish it this year. Do you fly up?

I figure next year I'll take the MH up the week before, fly home commercial, get the -9, fly it up for the week, drive the MH back home, then commercial back up to get the 9. :D
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Van's RV9A.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »
Our summer plans were already made long before this situation came up. We have not changed anything yet - we'll just wait and see. First trip is Memorial Day weekend so I'm confident we'll be back to semi-normal by then. If not, we'll be sure to have enough food, beer, and firewood with us where we won't even have to leave our campsite.  8)
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
We dropped our summer plans for Canada and Alaska too. If things improve, there will be trips to local lakes and forests to enjoy. If not, the motorhome will probably be in use for my daughter to isolate herself in (sheís a hospital nurse).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:48:08 AM by UTTransplant »
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »

I'll Bounder this year. ;D I'll do the RV9A next year. the -9 isn't flying yet, I'll finish it this year. Do you fly up?

I figure next year I'll take the MH up the week before, fly home commercial, get the -9, fly it up for the week, drive the MH back home, then commercial back up to get the 9. :D
Not anymore. I haven't flown for a few years, but when I go it'll be RV.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

dcrbtt

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
We  were going to leave on Monday but had to cancel the first 20 stops of our trip. If they do not open Canada by May we will cancel the second 20  stops.
2019 Forest River
FR-3  33DS
OWNED A RV SINCE 03-14-19

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
My summer plans.  Probably will entail more boating than camping by the looks of it.
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »
Recover from knee surgery. Drink beer. Sunbathe in the backyard naked.  8)
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »

Mrs. Gator: The neighbors have not been outside in weeks.
Gator: Yah, must be the whole Coronavirus thing.
Mrs. Gator: No, I think it's something much worse!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Road Rats

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »
Hope you have a tall fence, ya know....   lol

Speedy recovery to you!
Don & Sheila

2020 Thor Quantum 29' Class C
On 2019 Ford E450 Cutaway
With 1965 Wife and Naviguessor
Flat towing a 2020 Jeep Cherokee   - or -
Trailering a 2019 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

"Heading to a town near you very soon"

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
I did that once on my sailboat.  Big mistake. Got sunburned in a very sensitive place.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 02:47:27 PM »

Mrs. Gator: The neighbors have not been outside in weeks.
Gator: Yah, must be the whole Coronavirus thing.
Mrs. Gator: No, I think it's something much worse!

Itís how we keep the riff raff out of the yard.

Hope you have a tall fence, ya know....   lol

Speedy recovery to you!

Just lots of trees. Biggest problem is we have lots of poison Ivey also.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
I did that once on my sailboat.  Big mistake. Got sunburned in a very sensitive place.

Fortunately, with me, itís just a little mistake.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
For now most of planning involves getting to the grocery store and back without coming into contact with the virus.  Then after we get the groceries, how do we make sure they don't come with the virus.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 05:39:53 PM »
To loosely paraphrase a great General ... plans are worthless, but planning is invaluable!  A cynic once said ... a good plan gives me a solid place to start my changes and deviations!  How true in this situation!

We still plan to visit and support a daughter during some serious medical procedures and surgery.  Anything medical right now is being deferred and complicated by the current situation.  My challenge is finding a location to drop anchor for the summer in her vicinity. There are very few private campgrounds in the area and itís uncertain if they will be open for business.  Currently, Iím looking at alternatives for parking ... perhaps someoneís pasture!  We can boondock too but there are USFS rules that complicate things. So far, we are on plan C ... and expect to start on plan D sometime next week!   ;)
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
2018 Jeep Sport Unlimited
🏜⛰🚙💨

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
Fortunately, with me, itís just a little mistake.
ROFLMAO
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
all our plans pretty much cancelled for rest of year and hoping we can go to florida in January
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:45 PM »
We have a NY State Park reservation for late June/early July made last year that we fully expect will be canceled eventually. We also have a NY SP reservation for Labor Day week, and we don't have a lot of hope for that one either. We're currently in VA on our way to our upstate NY cottage where we'll lay low as long as it takes. We are going ahead with reservations in GA and FL for next winter though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

winona

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »
Summer plan?  Trip?  For me it's back for my high school alumni meeting in June.  And hopefully it won't be cancelled. 

Ben Cutler who went to my high school gave the alumni fund $350 million (yes, million) so every graduating senior would have a scholarship to cover college, vocational school, technical school, their choice.  Yes, there are requirements, but this year out of 44, 37 qualify. (I think those are the numbers.)

It will be the first alumni meeting since his gift was announced to the students last November.  Not a dry eye in the assembly.

Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab
and now also Gracie, the Corgi with an attitude

Deena_Robert

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 05:11:41 AM »
At the moment I'm not really positive when it comes to summer plans. Let's face it, people just don't listen, go out uselessly and endanger themselves, get the virus, give it to many others, and so on. So it's likely this will take longer than we'd like to admit.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
So it's likely this will take longer than we'd like to admit.

I think this is an understatement. As much as I would like to think things will "calm down" by summer, I think there's a very real possibility it could actually be much, much worse. There is no data I have seen which indicates there is any reason to think this virus won't continue to spread rapidly through the populace - closing non-essential businesses does not stop the spread, it only slows the rate. We'll probably break 100,000 cases today, a quarter million 5-7 days from now, and over a million by the second week of April. So far, there is no flattening of the curve, and even when the curve begins to flatten there is no less danger to those of us who haven't already been infected - it only mitigates some of the load on our health care system.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »

I think this is an understatement. As much as I would like to think things will "calm down" by summer, I think there's a very real possibility it could actually be much, much worse. There is no data I have seen which indicates there is any reason to think this virus won't continue to spread rapidly through the populace - closing non-essential businesses does not stop the spread, it only slows the rate. We'll probably break 100,000 cases today, a quarter million 5-7 days from now, and over a million by the second week of April. So far, there is no flattening of the curve, and even when the curve begins to flatten there is no less danger to those of us who haven't already been infected - it only mitigates some of the load on our health care system.

Hope you are wrong.  I wish they had testing results showing how many have had the virus with mild symptoms and are not reported.  Always some hope out there.  And there is data from China and Italy indicating that it is receding (or most have contracted and survived the virus.
I still want to believe this thing is being sensationalized, to some degree - tho I am staying home and only going out for real needs.
Been doing lots of maintenance on the motorhome, some stuff I likely would not get done if I were not at home so much.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »
Hope you are wrong.

I sincerely hope so too. It never occurred to me that at some point in my life I might wonder exactly how many ventilators we have in the US, but I have.

Aside from hunkering down in a rural PA campground my only summer plans were routine Dr visits in AZ entailing airline travel, and a once in a lifetime cross country road trip with a friend in a restored Mustang to do a speed run at Bonneville in August, then airline back. I've canceled the first and will probably cancel the second.  :(
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »

I'm very much inclined to agree.  With the size of this country, our population and a shockingly inept federal response, I am gravely concerned.  Plus, there seems to be a substantial number of folks who really don't take the situation seriously - another big issue.  I highly doubt we'll be "back to normal" any time soon.

We have a bunch of plans for the summer.  Our summers are usually booked a year in advance for the major stuff.  We have tickets to five music events, planned a few weekends with camping friends and have a family trip to Ireland planned for the second half of July.  As far as I'm concerned, everything is in jeopardy.  Sad face. 

This is right around the time I usually begin to wake our rig from her winter slumber, and we are usually getting quite antsy to take her out.  I really don't feel right about going to the storage facility and bringing her out given the circumstances, and it's killing me.

Really hoping this settles down soon, but worried that is quite optimistic.
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:51 AM »
Well my summer plans were to go to New York City for the 4th of July week and watch the fireworks. That is looking like it will not happen.