Checking Market Conditions to Sell our 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReadytoRVDK

Has anyone tried to sell lately or has heard how well the used 5th wheel market is doing since the coronavirus outbreak? 

Due to the health of older family members we are looking at selling our 5th wheel since we don't have a practical place to keep it and don't know how long we'll have to stay in place.  We have a place leased where we are going starting June 1st and would like to have our RV sold before then.  We are very limited on options for places to stay if it would sell too quickly.

Would prefer not to leave it at the local dealer to be sold on consignment.

You'll never know until you put it up for sale. Research sold prices along with ads for similar units, check NADA (just to see if you're in the ballpark), honestly consider the condition of your rig, then price accordingly and see how it goes

Didn't realize there were places you could check prices for units that have sold.  Is this something you can find on RV Trader / RVT or similar sites?  I've looked on those sites to buy but not to see actual sold prices.

I looked on NADA a couple of months ago to get an idea for a price when we sort of started this process.  But am planning on reevaluating our price before we list.

PPLmotorhomes.com has sold prices and is a solid indicator of the lower end of what your rig may be worth. I say lower end as (in my experience) their prices are quite aggressive and you may be able to get a bit more. But it will help you get in the ballpark. One thing - although you've said you don't want to go the consignment route, if you do call your insurance company to confirm absolutely that you are covered while your unit is on the consignment lot. Consignors will tell you that your insurance covers you, but it has been reported that is untrue and that you are not covered.

I would assume that few people are shopping right now and most of those that are will be bargain hunters.  However, there were surely people searching the right one last months and if yours fits their want list, they may still buy. Or at least contact you about doing something after the crisis is over.  It doesn't hurt to list it for sale now.
You can sell it with the proviso that delivery cannot take place before xxx date.

As mentioned above with campground closures going on left and right, I suspect it will be hard to sell at the moment.

I do believe that the uncertainty associated with the Pandemic has most people backing off on discretionary purchases.

The number of people that have looked at the Country Coach lately has really gone down.

The last offer I got was for 1/2 the listing price of a couple months ago.

I am even more concerned about commercial real estate sales.  I got an offer for my Mom's property in Missouri for $600K and now
it is on hold.

These are certainly uncertain times.

HueyPilotVN said:
I do believe that the uncertainty associated with the Pandemic has most people backing off on discretionary purchases.

The number of people that have looked at the Country Coach lately has really gone down.

The last offer I got was for 1/2 the listing price of a couple months ago.

I am even more concerned about commercial real estate sales.  I got an offer for my Mom's property in Missouri for $600K and now
it is on hold.

These are certainly uncertain times.

Yeah, instead of hanging around Quartzsite this year, we traveled back to Arkansas to sell our property.  Told my wife yesterday that it looks like we got it done just in time.
Then, just as we left Arkansas, bound for California for our summer gig, I got a call from the boss reassigning us to Sedona, Az.  Lucked out again there, as the Forest Service in AZ is letting us and all our hosts stay in our campsites even though the campgrounds are closed.  In the Inyo, where we were supposed to go, they aren't doing that.  I'd be another one without a place to hunker down.

As far as the motor home, when it drops another 25%, you'll be in my price range(although we aren't really looking). 
I did send an email to that guy that had the 39' Fleetwood advertised for $25k in the for sale section, just for fun, but now I see the ad has been removed, and the mostly-inactive email account I used to email him has suddenly filled with spam.  Hmmm.  :eek:

I had two people call me about the Country Coach today.

In both cases the first thing I asked each of them was "Why would you want to buy an RV in the middle of this Corona pandemic?"

The first one was a lady whose husband is active duty and they are living in the RV sites on base in Oceanside, CA, (Camp Pendelton I guess) and they wanted a bigger RV.  OK I guess that makes sense.

The second was a border security worker that is commuting back and forth from CA to New Mexico and wanted the Solar and the Security cameras.  So I think there is a very limited group of buyers out there.

I also bet each of them are looking for a deep discount.

Just an update.

Just a note on the ad that I mentioned above that has since been removed from the For Sale section.  It concerned an '05 DP for $25k.
I emailed to ask if the price was a typo.  "She" replied that the price was right, and included a bunch of pics, along with the sob story of her husband passing away. 
Good setup...until "she" noted that the transaction would have to be completed through Ebay because "she" didn't trust a regular bank.
Oops, I'm done.  I know a scam when I smell one.

I have my Airstream DP listed on RV trader and it's gotten about 900 hits in less than 3 weeks and only 2 inquiries.  I sure would like it out of my yard but I won't give it away.  I think a lot of the online traffic is due to folks surfing the RV sites while confined to their homes.

Ed

HueyPilotVN said:
I had two people call me about the Country Coach today.

In both cases the first thing I asked each of them was "Why would you want to buy an RV in the middle of this Corona pandemic?"

Bill, you have a great rig, heck I've scratched my head.  I would not be concerned with why someone needed an RV, I'd be concerned if they are bringing cash or where they want to do the transaction.  Most places, inside offices are closed, and unless you were in the car as they went to the bank and got a bankers check, I wouldn't trust anyone. A lot of people prey on especially elders, and they are masters at it. 

Times will get better again  :))

SpencerPJ said:
unless you were in the car as they went to the bank and got a bankers check,

Actually, you need to be standing at the teller's window with the buyer as the cashier's check is created in front of your eyes and you see the receipt from the bank for it. Cashier's checks used to be considered same as cash, but they are routinely counterfeited now, and look so authentic it is common for a bank to accept them. However, when they get back to the supposed originating bank they are found to be counterfeit and bounce, and the money is pulled back out of your account. This is a very common Craig's List scam.

If you are standing at the window as the check is created, you know the funds were there to back the check, and they are withdrawn at that time to cover the check. Even if you're sitting in the Acme Bank parking lot and a guy hands you an Acme cashier's check, that's not good enough.

I actually sold it twice.  The first buyer could not get the second mortgage on his house that he was going to use to buy it. 
so after waiting 6 weeks ir was for sale again.

I then talked Lou into buying it, But we both agreed that it was not a good fit for him for a couple of reasons including the higher ongoing maintenance, insurance, and other costs associated with a DP.

I have had lots of lookers and some serious ones that needed to sell their RV's or other financial issues for them.

There are actually several interesting stories about selling it.

Back
Top Bottom