Is anyone traveling around the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
You're one of the lucky ones.  My younger daughter has been fighting it for 9 years.  The oldest of my 4 children has been fighting it for 8 years.  She is currently stage 4.  They're both high risk.  It's one of the reasons I have a hard time finding humor these days.

I?m so sorry about your kids. I don?t know how I could handle that. I am not a praying person but I will keep them and you in my thoughts. Keep safe buddy.

Oldgator73 said:
With more than 500 military infected with the Coronavirus this is bound to get much worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-u-military-servicemember-dies-003543820.html

The aircraft carriers are not designed for social distancing . And there we have serious national security concerns for sure.  The average Joe or gator on the street and what happens to them means nothing without our military at the top of the scale as a firewall of sorts.  I do know that there are restrictions put in place on the domestic based troops in all the branches.

garyb1st said:
You're one of the lucky ones.  My younger daughter has been fighting it for 9 years.  The oldest of my 4 children has been fighting it for 8 years.  She is currently stage 4.  They're both high risk.  It's one of the reasons I have a hard time finding humor these days.
Gary that's heartbreaking, I hope they beat the odds.

ELeland said:
I just read this on Fox news and thought of Amanda

Mommy blogger gets backlash for loading family in RV, taking them across country during coronavirus pandemic

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/mommy-blogger-backlash-family-rv-driving-west-coronavirus-pandemic 

Ed
There are SO many issues with her doing this. One is that she's renting an RV so I assume she isn't well versed on RVs and this is NOT the time to practice, which often takes human interaction.
And STARTING her journey during this time? When home is a very viable option?
Wait until she gets on the road and can't find places to stay.
And gets honked at and told to go back to NY. We've encountered some very negative reactions to our licence plates.
Another one of my big concerns is that although we have to go to the stores whether we are on the road or at home, at home, I can shop every couple weeks. I have tons of storage and 2 large refrigerators. In the RV, with 7 people, 6 of them with adult appetites, we have to shop every few days. We've been trying to avoid shopping by getting creative with what we have, but it's not like being home. We have no choice but to be in stores more often, therefore putting ourselves and others at increased risk.
And get gas.
And get the oil changed.
And get the front right tire replaced. (Happening as I type this sitting in my car in the parking lot)
All things a house doesn't need.
I can see her point wanting to get away from the city and give her kids space, I get her thinking there, but I don't think she really understands what's going on out here. My vote, and believe me I'm all about travel and showing the kids the world, but my vote is get home. Ride this out. Vacation later.

Amanda have you tried the non-refrigerated milk that comes in a rectangle box and requires no refrigeration and stores in your pantry until you open? That can be a huge benefit for your family and space if you can find it in a store. Walmart sells it too. This can take some of the pressure off of frequent shopping in that area too if you use a lot of milk and are limited in your storage in the frig. We carried it on our boat and many sailboats carry it. Its ultra pasteurized and the containers stands up to travel really well.

Amanda, when you get back to Rochester things will be better.I am up in that area for work [Gates] and I haven't seen many people with face masks.The infection rate is still manageable and deaths are 6 I think in Monroe County

Boat Addict said:
Amanda have you tried the non-refrigerated milk that comes in a rectangle box and requires no refrigeration and stores in your pantry until you open? That can be a huge benefit for your family and space if you can find it in a store. Walmart sells it too. This can take some of the pressure off of frequent shopping in that area too if you use a lot of milk and are limited in your storage in the frig. We carried it on our boat and many sailboats carry it. Its ultra pasteurized and the containers stands up to travel really well.
Never heard of it, we'll give it a try! Thanks

Robert K said:
Amanda, when you get back to Rochester things will be better.I am up in that area for work [Gates] and I haven't seen many people with face masks.The infection rate is still manageable and deaths are 6 I think in Monroe County
300 confirmed cases, 8 deaths. The breakdown by neighborhood, zip code I think, shows very little of it on the west side (Gates) and most of it in my area (east side) but I just operate as if it's everywhere.

Boat Addict said:

Hi Amanda and Boat Addict,

While I like the powdered milk from the box, you can also mix it with milk you buy from the store and extend things. I was friends with a large family and that is what they did so they didn't have to make so many store trips. Growing kids need milk. We did that with our kids as well.

You might put something on the back of the RV saying, where you have been and the months so they know you have not been anywhere near NY for quite a while. Hope your travels are going well.

Here is some Entertainment for you.  ;)

JD

Attachments

• Ticket To Paradise.jpg
    Ticket To Paradise.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
camperAL said:
Hi Amanda and Boat Addict,

While I like the powdered milk from the box, you can also mix it with milk you buy from the store and extend things. I was friends with a large family and that is what they did so they didn't have to make so many store trips. Growing kids need milk. We did that with our kids as well.

You might put something on the back of the RV saying, where you have been and the months so they know you have not been anywhere near NY for quite a while. Hope your travels are going well.
The ultra pasteurized milk is pure milk, Vitamin D and tastes the same to us. While its the equivalent of quarts, it fits good in the rv frig, and more stable when traveling too in the doors. We store it also in our plastic tubes with the can goods all closed up with the lids. As a kid being raised by parents and grandparents  that experienced the Great Depression and WWII, powdered milk was part of our diet, especially in the winter time when the milk man was unable to get to our house.  I promised myself that I would resort to powder milk as the last resort in the future.  I had to do that during one of the previous downturns years ago when we had three little ones depending on us for some form of normality .
And by the way, just a bit of old fashion history, milk that was delivered by the milk man had cream on top of it, just under the cap when pulled off.
We did have the advantage to get raw milk on occasions from the local dairy farms out in the country. Of course this was eventually ruled not allowed. Some of the enjoyable  things the current crop of kids will never experience,

ArdraF said:
We cancelled our travel plans which would cover the USA.  So far, it looks like a good decision - and certainly a safer one for all concerned!  We'll reevaluate later.

ArdraF

We're in SW Florida and plan to stay in this resort through April. Given today's announcements and Bill Gates call for a 10-week national shut down, I'm worried that we may be trapped here until hurricane season. But I'm not sure Colorado will let us back into the state if we take off now or later. At this point, we're staying put, I guess.

garyb1st said:
In the rural areas of California and I suspect every other state, a third of the households are not subscribed to the Internet.  With the school closures in California, many students will not be schooled.  They just don't have a computer at home.  Anyone see this as a big problem.

My wife talked to a friend of hers back in Arkansas last night.  The friend said that the principle of her daughter's school was personally calling every family in the school to make sure they had either a PC or a Chromebook so the kids can continue classes.  Apparently, if the family can't afford the Chromebook, the school district will provide one.

garyb1st said:
In the rural areas of California and I suspect every other state, a third of the households are not subscribed to the Internet.  With the school closures in California, many students will not be schooled.  They just don't have a computer at home.  Anyone see this as a big problem.
Don't need the internet or computers for home schooling. Folks and teachers been doing it for decades with books. The kids need parents in the absence of teachers.
A great example are the Amish communities near me.
Yes, internet and computers are great tools, glad we have them, especially in this critical time.

phil-t said:
Don't need the internet or computers for home schooling. Folks and teachers been doing it for decades with books. The kids need parents in the absence of teachers.
A great example are the Amish communities near me.
Yes, internet and computers are great tools, glad we have them, especially in this critical time.

I agree but it?s better if a students entire class are getting the same lesson plan. Our granddaughter takes Chinese and our grandson takes Spanish. Most of their classes are taught those respective languages.

Would love to jump in the motorhome and take off.  It's gassed up, has a half tank of propane and loaded with groceries.  If we could find a good BLM dispersed campsite an hour or two from the house I'd be tempted to go.  But Los Angeles has a stay at home order.  Not exactly sure what that means since people are able to go out for walks or drive when necessary.  Just not sure that includes a necessary RV outing. 

Oldgator73 said:
I agree but it?s better if a students entire class are getting the same lesson plan. Our granddaughter takes Chinese and our grandson takes Spanish. Most of their classes are taught those respective languages.
Yes, I have 2 grandsons in SC that are meeting and in discussions with their teachers 3 times a week, online.  Two other grandkids in Southern Main that are being homeschooled by Mom, with book help from the school.  AND another grandson on the way on Cape Cod, MA. later this month - not likely going to get to see that young man anytime soon, Mom and Dad are rightfully worried, a bit.

Oldedit said:
We're in SW Florida and plan to stay in this resort through April. Given today's announcements and Bill Gates call for a 10-week national shut down, I'm worried that we may be trapped here until hurricane season. But I'm not sure Colorado will let us back into the state if we take off now or later. At this point, we're staying put, I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about hurricane season if you're in SW Florida. One of the reasons I moved to Fort Myers in 1982 was because this area is well protected from Atlantic storms. Of course, you can never predict what a gulf storm will do. I will be getting my coach out of storage this week and getting it road-ready in the event we need to leave if a hurricane approaches but this has only happened twice in the past 25 years, and if you were to be forced to leave where you are, you don't need to leave the state and worry about borders being closed down. When we got hit by Irma, we drove the coach to a rest area near Pensacola and stayed there for a few days before returning home.

Old_Crow said:
My wife talked to a friend of hers back in Arkansas last night.  The friend said that the principle of her daughter's school was personally calling every family in the school to make sure they had either a PC or a Chromebook so the kids can continue classes.  Apparently, if the family can't afford the Chromebook, the school district will provide one.
How do they access the internet if classes online as I bet lots of folk don't have wifi?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom