rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Is anyone traveling around the US?  (Read 3953 times)

dcrbtt

• ---
Is anyone traveling around the US?
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
Is anyone going from RV park to RV park around the US?

We were to start our 54 RV park trip on Monday but.......

Maybe a shorter 30 RV park trip later in May IF......
2019 Forest River
FR-3  33DS
OWNED A RV SINCE 03-14-19

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: Is anyone traveling around the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Good luck with that.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
I've been on the road for 8 months and I'm telling you in no uncertain terms, wait. Do not try to start this now. My plan was to be on the road until June 1 and I'm cutting it short and returning home April 1 instead. Read my blog if you want details, but if you don't listen to anything else, listen to this,  don't begin this trip right now.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Our Governor of Indiana said to expect peak mid April.  Folks we ain't even warmed up yet.
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »
I've been on the road for 8 months and I'm telling you in no uncertain terms, wait. Do not try to start this now. My plan was to be on the road until June 1 and I'm cutting it short and returning home April 1 instead. Read my blog if you want details, but if you don't listen to anything else, listen to this,  don't begin this trip right now.
Smart move Amanda.  Don't be so quick to sell that RV, maybe take 2 months next fall or spring down the East Coast. 
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:22 PM »
We cancelled our travel plans which would cover the USA.  So far, it looks like a good decision - and certainly a safer one for all concerned!  We'll reevaluate later.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
Folks we ain't even warmed up yet.

Yup. Passed 100K (104,463). I was low by 4000
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:33:17 PM by Back2PA »
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »
Don't worry it will be over 200,000 by the end of the weekend
2002 Safari Trek 2830

TonyL

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Our original plan was to travel from Arizona, up the Eastern side of the Rockies and into Canada. Across to the East then back into the States around October.
It would be totally irrisponsible to even contemplate that at this time. If we can find good sites in our locality and away from the virus, I would consider that a great journey in itself.
TonyL

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
Here locally, campgrounds are open, but all of the attractions you wanted to see are closed.  Visitor centers, museums, any indoor venue.  All food service is carry out ONLY! 

Listen to Amanda!  She has been out there!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:04 PM »
Also keep in mind this situation is changing by the day, and just because travel is possible now, does not mean it will be next week.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:15 PM »
This just came across the AP
https://apnews.com/5d7394c69e3607166c97308f3762f7dd

States impose new restrictions on travelers from New York

I believe it is going to get a lot more weird before it all gets sorted out.
I suggest going home, and staying there for a while.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 07:04:32 AM »
I suggest going home, and staying there for a while.

I am HOME, in my RV with just me!  I'm not visited by kids and the grandkids, I don't have people coming and going. I'm not out playing boccie ball or golfing or going to the quilting circle.  Everyone you talk with briefly in passing in this private campground is observing the 6 foot rule.  A request that if you're going to post advice, try to think about others on the forum you're posting for.  Then there was also the comment that " itinerant RVers will just have to suck it up".  Not 100% positive I'm itinerant, but it sure seems so.  I don't see off-hand how this is being helpful.  Seems a bit derisive, but maybe it's just the increasing stress/anxiety affecting my take on it.

Linda
Linda with kitty Sara
2019 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge
27BHS
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 07:18:00 AM »
Anyone who chooses to travel right now is a prime candidate for the Darwin award! Not that I mind upgrading the standards of the human race, but I don't wish to join him!

We have numereous examples of sensible people who are avoiding travel who have good reasons. For example, a friend whose daughter (mid 40's) is in the hospital with double pneumonia from the virus. Another missed his father's funeral.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »
This is not a time for travel. Full-timers need to find a place to stay put. As Amanda found out, many parks that are open are allowing only long term stays, a month or more. All public venues are closed including many state and national parks. People should just stay put.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »
I don't see where people have any option other than to stay put. Everything is closed. A few days ago Osceola County (the one I live in in Florida) issued a stay at home order. Where can we go? I did my laundry that day. Nothing is open anywhere except grocery stores and convenience stores.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
This is not a time for travel. People should just stay put.

This cannot be over emphasized
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
Anyone who chooses to travel right now is a prime candidate for the Darwin award! Not that I mind upgrading the standards of the human race, but I don't wish to join him!

We have numereous examples of sensible people who are avoiding travel who have good reasons. For example, a friend whose daughter (mid 40's) is in the hospital with double pneumonia from the virus. Another missed his father's funeral.

Ernie

Please define "anyone" & "travel"  Some folks have a very good reason for travel and doing so in an RV is way safer for everyone than driving and using hotels and restaurants.
But then I've been offered the Darwin Award before.
Don't get me wrong, I'm staying home and getting out, only for things that are necessary.  Whether I do that from my S&B or my MH dosen't really make a huge difference.  If a reason to go somewhere arrises, the motorhome will come out of the garage and be ready to move out. I would not mind quarentining myself to my MH at all.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
Please define "anyone" & "travel"  Some folks have a very good reason for travel and doing so in an RV is way safer for everyone than driving and using hotels and restaurants.
But then I've been offered the Darwin Award before.
Don't get me wrong, I'm staying home and getting out, only for things that are necessary.  Whether I do that from my S&B or my MH dosen't really make a huge difference.  If a reason to go somewhere arrises, the motorhome will come out of the garage and be ready to move out. I would not mind quarentining myself to my MH at all.

If you are not in an essential position you have no reason to be traveling. If you are not essential, what situation would arise that would prompt you to travel farther than your local shopping outlets?
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »
If you are not in an essential position you have no reason to be traveling. If you are not essential, what situation would arise that would prompt you to travel farther than your local shopping outlets?

8)  My position is always essential.  LOL.  I was just trying to make a point on the definitions of travel and anyone.  Opinions differ.  This virus is certainly bringing out the opinions.
Situation - I am located in rural northern NY, if I need some kind of special medical attention, I will "travel", with my wife, in our MH to wherever the help I need happens to be.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 12:55:04 PM »
I have canceled my long trip for the summer but am still going to get the coach out of storage and get it road ready in about another month. Why, you might ask? Because in south Florida, there is always the chance we will get hit by a hurricane and need to leave the house for a week or two. We have used the coach as our second home for this reason in the past and will do it again this year if necessary. It will be road-ready and then get put back in storage until needed.

We still hope to take a shorter trip after this pandemic blows over, if it blows over. The coach still needs to be exercised now and then. But for now, we are staying put and hoping we don't get bombarded by people from other states trying to escape their shelter in place orders.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
Hurricanes are one reason I would not want to be in Florida right now, imagine a worlds come Hurricane season in a couple of months where non-essential traffic is blocked at state lines around hot spots, which may be everywhere, including Florida which is on the rise for confirmed cases, and has a relatively older population which will likely make the death rate even more dramatic there.   At the moment according to the Johns Hopkins tracker, Florida is in 6th place for the most confirmed cases by state at 3,598  and moving up fast 2 days ago it was in 8th place.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

sc4668

• ---
  • 2007 Denali fifth wheel
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
Well we are in a predicament, we sold our house in NV outside of Las Vegas and will close 1 April. This all happened before the shutdown. We will be traveling to our new home in Michigan. Just hoping we can get there with not two much problem. Life goes on.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
Just hoping we can get there with not two much problem. Life goes on.
Take some paperwork.  I certainly would consider that essential travel.  I'd pack food for 2 weeks, never know where you could get delayed.  Good luck, be safe.
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »
Well we are in a predicament, we sold our house in NV outside of Las Vegas and will close 1 April. This all happened before the shutdown. We will be traveling to our new home in Michigan. Just hoping we can get there with not two much problem. Life goes on.
I think Walmart parking lots will be open all across America.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »
Incidentally, we are full time and winter in FL. Usually travel the summer months. This year was to be a stop at Gaffney and then on to North Dakota with stops to see the kids/grand kids. 

It'll be Florida this summer. Not sure we would evacuate even for a hurricane.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »
Unless they can come up with a fool proof grocery delivery system, we'll all be traveling as the virus worsens.  The risk of infection will increase at the same rate as the virus.  If our government can't figure out how to provide masks and gloves to the general public we're all going to be in a world of hurt unless the virus takes a miraculous turn for the better.   

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 02:32:12 PM »
If our government can't figure out how to provide masks and gloves to the general public we're all going to be in a world of hurt unless the virus takes a miraculous turn for the better.

Yep. It's pathetic that we don't already have factories cranking out sanitizer, gloves, masks, respirators etc by the tens of millions of units per day. There was a time when sewing machine factories were repurposed to make tanks when it was deemed important. Guess it's not important yet since only the little people are dying
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
I believe it ltook 6months for theautomakers to turn out tanks off the assembly line in WWII
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
I just read the US shipped 17.8 tons of medical equipment to China seven weeks ago.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife