Jim Salzer dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

The last time I mentioned Jim in a post someone sent me an IM that they remembered shopping at his record store. I forgot who it was who sent me the IM but I just found out Jim slipped in his hot tub and died last week. So sad. He was my first real boss in 1966.

I just came to the realization that I fell and hit my head last week and bruised my body all over. But I didn't die like poor Jim. He was a lifetime friend and one of the most interesting people I had the pleasure of knowing.

Tom said:
Sorry for the loss of your friend Tom.
Thanks Tom. This hit me like a ton of bricks. Jim was a pillar of his community, known and loved by everyone. It is just hard to imagine him gone. He was one of those larger than life characters. Because of Facebook I had been able to connect with him the last few years.

I remember Jim Salzer first as a record store owner who subsequently brought some of the biggest popular music acts of the late 60s and 70s to Ventura and nearby counties.  His store was lined with psychedelic posters depicting the many concerts his efforts brought to the area.  Ventura county is a mere 50 miles from L.A. but until Jim Salzer came along it was rather a musical void. 

It saddens me to hear of his passing.  He was one of those iconic figures we imagine will live forever.

Tom I am sorry for your personal loss.

Jim certainly was an icon. Salzer's Mercantile has been in business for almost 50 years in the same location selling records, CDs, head supplies and renting videos. Plus he was on the Ventura Fair committee forever. A real pillar of the community. He is the guy who ordered me to spend an entire Jimi Hendrix concert standing on the stage with him, guarding the entrance/exit of the stage.

SeilerBird said:
Jim certainly was an icon. Salzer's Mercantile has been in business for almost 50 years in the same location selling records, CDs, head supplies and renting videos. Plus he was on the Ventura Fair committee forever. A real pillar of the community. He is the guy who ordered me to spend an entire Jimi Hendrix concert standing on the stage with him, guarding the entrance/exit of the stage.

I bet that was a real trip.  Savor the Great memories and the joy you shared.  My Condolences to you, Brother.

X-Roughneck said:
I bet that was a real trip.  Savor the Great memories and the joy you shared.  My Condolences to you, Brother.
Many of his friends, myself included, had been bugging Jim to write his memories. What a book it would be. Sadly he never wrote it. I personally have many tales that could be told. He hired Jimi, managed the Doors and was the southern California version of the norther Californian Bill Graham. Bill is better known but Jim was just as influential. It would be almost impossible to find a Ventura County teen in the 60s and 70s that did not have a Salzer influence.

Did not recognize the name at first.  Bill Graham, however when you linked them, was like OK.   

I remember all those Ticket stubs I lost somewhere in my journey, Stubs from back in the Day, Had "Stone City Attractions Presents..." printed on them somewhere. 

Those Big outdoor Arenas, Cotton Bowl, with 100,000 of my closest friends were Epic!, somewhat of a life changing event to attend. 

Lot's of great times Branding Iron-D into our memories.

Got more Stories to share to honor you friend?  I am all ears.

JD 

X-Roughneck said:
Did not recognize the name at first.  Bill Graham, however when you linked them, was like OK.   

I remember all those Ticket stubs I lost somewhere in my journey, Stubs from back in the Day, Had "Stone City Attractions Presents..." printed on them somewhere. 

Those Big outdoor Arenas, Cotton Bowl, with 100,000 of my closest friends were Epic!, somewhat of a life changing event to attend. 

Lot's of great times Branding Iron-D into our memories.

Got more Stories to share to honor you friend?  I am all ears.

JD
During the 60s Jim promoted concerts in Ventura and LA county. For most of 67 and 68 he has a weekly concert at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. I worked for Jim in many capacities over the years and at the concerts he let me fill my trunk with record store goodies and I has a booth at the back of the concert to sell posters, tshirts and records from. Every concert had an original poster drawn for it. I was not into psychadelia at that time and I thought the posters horrible. I used to put a stack of a few hundred into my trunk every weekend. The original posters now sell for thousands of dollars. In the 80s he had several of them reprinted and the reprints are even priced in the hundreds:

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/the-doors-1967-jim-salzer-concert-poster_6EB47E481E/

SeilerBird said:
During the 60s Jim promoted concerts in Ventura and LA county. For most of 67 and 68 he has a weekly concert at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. I worked for Jim in many capacities over the years and at the concerts he let me fill my trunk with record store goodies and I has a booth at the back of the concert to sell posters, tshirts and records from. Every concert had an original poster drawn for it. I was not into psychadelia at that time and I thought the posters horrible. I used to put a stack of a few hundred into my trunk every weekend. The original posters now sell for thousands of dollars. In the 80s he had several of them reprinted and the reprints are even priced in the hundreds:

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/the-doors-1967-jim-salzer-concert-poster_6EB47E481E/

Santa Barbara, Once early 90s, I was going to drive Highway 1 from LA to Ft Ord.  I gave up at Santa Barbara, I guess it must have been near the Earl Warren Showgrounds looking at the location on google maps.  Later that same day we locked the keys in the car in San Luis Obispo. Awww the memories.

Did you ever do any electrical drops for Stages in any of the, not so Concert Friendly venues.....I.E. in the middle of a field like a Wood Stock Type Event?

My X Brother in Law, Door Gunner in Vietnam was a photographer.  He got some great Shots of Led Zeppelin Taken from the Stage at Tarrant County Coliseum in Ft Worth.

Concerts I love going to and until recently was still going to shows in Houston and San Antonio.  Sharing my Prized picture of me and my Buds standing about 10 yards from the Stage at the Cotton Bowl, Texxas Jam 1.  I bought some 11 x 14 crowd shots from Vernon Gowdy, renowned Concert Photographer back around 2008... Found me and my friends faces, and had a Poster Blown up to display on my computer room.  I had to place a half circle the edge where we appear in the picture.  Over 100,000 in attendance, 1 July 1978 and Blazing Hot!

Little hard to tell, but the sea of humanity...Sardine Can down there.  Not good for a COVID 19 outbreak and Not a Worry of Social Distancing what so ever.  No Cell phones...No Nothing, No Worries at all.

JD

Attachments

• Texxas Jam 1-1 JUL 78.jpg
    Texxas Jam 1-1 JUL 78.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14
I never did electrical work for his concerts, only his house and business. I am remembering a story about Jim. I was dating his sister Sunny in the early 70s and we went on a double date down to a restaurant in Santa Monica and a theater show. Driving down there Jim lit up a joint while he was driving. I about had a heart attack since I was as pure as the driven snow back then. The restaurant was the Great American Food and Beverage Company, a real classic restaurant with singing waiters. I ended up going there many times.

Condolences Tom. Glad you had the chance to reconnect with your friend. 

Like Amanda said, be careful!

Last night as I was drifting off into sleep it dawned on me that the last year has been very bad. My nephew, who was like a son to me, died. Then my bestie from high school died and now my first boss Jim died. All three very important people to me gone within a year. That is the penalty for growing old, you get to bury a lot of your friends, :'(

SeilerBird said:
Last night as I was drifting off into sleep it dawned on me that the last year has been very bad. My nephew, who was like a son to me, died. Then my bestie from high school died and now my first boss Jim died. All three very important people to me gone within a year. That is the penalty for growing old, you get to bury a lot of your friends, :'(
Any you also had a long time to love them.

Hugs Tom

SeilerBird said:
That is the penalty for growing old, you get to bury a lot of your friends, :'(

Agreed 100%.. Brother. 

Focus on the Joy you shared. 

My Condolences.

Stay Safe. 

JD

Back
Top Bottom