"Free" 15GB of hotspot data from Verizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Just got this msg from Verizon:

Is Verizon offering additional Mobile Hotspot data for customers to use during this time?

Yes, we are adding 15 GB of data across nearly all of our plans, to be used between 03/25/2020 and 04/30/2020. To be eligible, you must be on a qualifying postpaid (unlimited or shared), Jetpack or prepaid plan

NY_Dutch said:
Did I read that right? VZW is "adding" 15GB to unlimited data accounts???

I have an unlimited VW account and did notice that. The data is for hotspot use, so I'm guessing they're raising the bar as to when you might run in to throttling

Back2PA said:
I have an unlimited VW account and did notice that. The data is for hotspot use, so I'm guessing they're raising the bar as to when you might run in to throttling

Ok, I don't know what the current unlimited hotspot plans include. The VZW prepaid unlimited hotspot plan we had until last fall had no throttling at any time.

NY_Dutch said:
Ok, I don't know what the current unlimited hotspot plans include. The VZW prepaid unlimited hotspot plan we had until last fall had no throttling at any time.

This from the plan I'm on:
"An unlimited mobile hotspot means your smartphone becomes a Wi-Fi connection for your other devices. You get 4G LTE up to 15 GB and 600 Kbps past the allotted amount."

Now if only I had a Verizon account, and if Verizon had decent signal strength around my house.

Back2PA said:
This from the plan I'm on:
"An unlimited mobile hotspot means your smartphone becomes a Wi-Fi connection for your other devices. You get 4G LTE up to 15 GB and 600 Kbps past the allotted amount."

My VZW unlimited plan was for my Jetpack. No throttling at all. We averaged 150-200 GB/mo and never saw anything more than the typical slow downs on busy towers. Usually not even slow enough to effect streaming. Now we do the same thing with our Visible unlimited data for a lot less money. For poor VZW signal areas, we use our AT&T unlimited data Connected Car Plan.

We got the same thing, not Verizon. We have, on 5 phones, unlimited talk, text, and data and we have 8GB hotspot each. They added 20GB hotspot to each of our phones. I think their thinking is that a lot of people are working from home so this way they can connect other devices like work computers that they don't usually need to do. It comes in handy for us because the kids use their hot spot for video games and for VR games.

Got the same Verizon message. It would be handy if I was in the motorhome now, but we are at the S&B with high quality cable. I think it is a lovely gesture for those that need their cell phone for data while doing school work or working from home.

Only a few plans have unlimited amounts of data (gigabytes), so for many Verizon contracts this is a substantial boost in data capability at no cost.  A very nice gesture that costs them very little out-of-pocket.

We currently have an "unlimited" plan that offers unconstrained talk & text but only 2 GB/month of data. Relatively inexpensive and works fine for us because 99% of our phone data usage is via wifi rather than cellular. Last month we consumed only 200 MB of actual cellular data - everything else went via wifi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom