Memory Foam or conventional?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

Just about finishing up remodeling our motorhome bedroom and we want or are thinking about going to a memory foam mattress. I have shoulder issues and am not comfortable laying on my sides but cant sleep any other way. My wife can sleep any position so there's no issue there so, we are thinking of trying out a memory foam mattress but am not spending 5-800 dollars for a piece of foam unless there's a guarantee I will sleep like a baby compared to a spring mattress. Let me know your experiences please. If this needs to be moved that's fine, didn't know where else this should be. Thanks

A thick memory foam topper might be an easy way to find out.

I have the same problem.  Sleep on my back and  the spousal unit wakes me up with her elbows.  Sleep on my sides and either my shoulder pain wakes me up or my arm goes numb, it depends on which side.  I find that keeping a firm memory foam pillow up against my chest helps.

Personally I don't care for Memory foam, though I do find Latex foam pads to be very comfortable.

It doesn't need to be one or the other - many mattresses are hybrids, with an inner spring base and a memory foam layer on top, either layered directly on the spring core or as a "pillow-top" over it.

Personally, I think the quality is more important than the material. A top quality mattress gives firm support while at the same time providing a top pad in the degree of firmness you prefer, anywhere from soft to firm.  I suggest you go to a large mattress store and try out various degrees of firmness to see what is comfortable for you.

This article explains the differences between innerspring and foam and the pros/cons of each.

https://www.brooklynbedding.com/blog/which-is-better-hybrid-mattress-or-foam-mattress/

the bed at home and in the motorhome are "comfortable" when I get into bed but, when I lay for long then the aching starts and they are firm and good quality. I was thinking that the foam mattresses would be somewhat less of pressure point thing. I'm thinking it's worth a try

"Memory foam" is a pretty generic term now, with so many different variations and quality levels available. You'd almost have to buy/try one for awhile to find out if it will work for your particular circumstances & comfort levels. Most mattress manufacturers have a 90 or 100 night "guarantee" that they stand behind. I'd give it a try if you are in the market for a new mattress anyway.

Isaac-1 said:
Personally I don't care for Memory foam, though I do find Latex foam pads to be very comfortable.

I second this. Our home mattress purchased last year is a queen from SleepOnLatex.com and it is the most comfortable mattress I've ever had. And we REALLY liked our prior pillowtop spring-based Sealy Posturepedic mattress that we had for ~13 years. I compared to some of the other popular mattress-in-a-box brands (Casper, Purple, etc.) and SOL had the best combination of price, reviews, and replacement/refund guarantee. The brand was recommended to me by a coworker who was giving away his older (but still functioning) Sleep Number mattress set, after buying a replacement from SOL that he loved.

(Thread moved to General Discussion because it'll probably get more views there.)

I also have back problems and now have arthritis in one shoulder.  My motorhome mattress was a little firm for me when I bought my RV 8 years ago, so I added a 3" memory foam topper and it is now really, really comfortable!  Cost was about $75 and you can cut it with a serrated knife to fit. 

If you decide you like it, you can spend the money for a full memory foam mattress.

If you don't like it, you will have spent less than $100.

JudyJB said:
I also have back problems and now have arthritis in one shoulder.  My motorhome mattress was a little firm for me when I bought my RV 8 years ago, so I added a 3" memory foam topper and it is now really, really comfortable!  Cost was about $75 and you can cut it with a serrated knife to fit. 
I have the EXACT same story down to the details! Topper worked great and am still using it; highly recommend to anyone.

JudyJB said:
My motorhome mattress was a little firm for me when I bought my RV 8 years ago, so I added a 3" memory foam topper and it is now really, really comfortable!  Cost was about $75 and you can cut it with a serrated knife to fit. 

Same. I added a 4" topper to my RV queen and it's very comfortable. I have a sofa bed (not jacknife) in the living room for guests - it was surprisingly comfortable already for a sofabed, but I put a 3" topper on it anyway. Guests report it is one of the most comfortable beds they've slept on.

What brands of foam toppers have each of you enjoyed? We have one on the RV bed too and really enjoy it, which I forgot to mention when I was detailing our home mattress above. ;)

We bought ours locally from a guy on Craigslist who had a surplus of them, and I don?t recall the brand name.

This is really a personal choice and most mattress retailers, both local stores and on-line retailers offer a trial period.  Our experience with mattress purchases is we can get a good idea by trying different mattresses out in the store or at family and or friends houses. 

scottydl said:
What brands of foam toppers have each of you enjoyed?
Sleep Innovations Gel Memory Foam 4-inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper from Amazon.

Road Rats said:
Sleep Innovations Gel Memory Foam 4-inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper from Amazon.

Is that on the bed your wife sleeps on or the couch you sleep on?  ;)

Sleep Innovations ? That?s the brand we have in the RV too. It?s not a ?gel? version though and not overly dense. Still has a light and fluffy feel, if that makes any sense!

Back2PA said:
Is that on the bed your wife sleeps on or the couch you sleep on?  ;)
You know the answer to that... I will be ordering one to fit the couch soon.

Our mattress was too firm. We added a CertiPUR-US memory foam mattress topper(off Amazon)  2 years ago and love it. Not sure, but think it is 2".

Stick to innerspring, wouldn't recommend memory foam cause, while there are some mattresses that are indeed ok, these come at quite extreme prices. What I would do in your shoes is get a reliable innerspring mattress and use a gel topper with memory foam, like these https://popular.reviews/cooling-mattress-pad/. These come cheaper and you get the memory foam benefit plus the cooling gel without paying thousands of dollars.

Back
Top Bottom