Supersteer Trac bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuervo1

Had anyone installed a Supersteer SS450 Rear Trac bar on their E450 Class C motor home?
I have a Hellwig sway bar installed, and wonder if it's worth the money to add the Trac bar.

How is your rig handling?  What is it doing that you don't like?  Have you done, or had done all other handling adjustmets?  Like - get the rig weighed (loaded) and adjust tire pressure according to manufacturer's chart, have the front end aligned by a good shop.  Are the tires of proper construction for the rig/weight?
Lots to consider before adding something like a tracbar.  That said, I added a rear tracbar to my F53 chassis - made a huge difference in the side to side wondewring (not sway).

Brother how you doing?  My Class C was all over the road. Steering Wheel back (12 O'clock to 10 and 2 Oclock) Back and and forth keeping it straight and when the wind was Blowing...Crazy Bad.

I went with the Bilstein Shocks x4 (Had a (1) Lemon :-\-Zero Compression, shock on Rear), Roadmaster Sway Bar on Rear, and a RM Steering (Return to Zero) Stabilizer on the Front.  On my Class C I run 75 PSI in my Air Bags on the Rear, and right at Max/ "Hard" Air on my Tires before they heat up according to the TST- X07/ TPMS. 

Man, a WORLD of difference.  Totally, 90-100% happy.

Not sure if it was a combo effect or what but I got alot of "BANG" for the Bucks. 

Bad shock I think was the cause from me wanting to drive into oncoming traffic.  ;D (<<I am Joking!!)

I was going to add the additional Sway or Trac bar reinforcements to the Front (Not sure exactly what it is called), but RM stated to the tech ordering the parts that my set up I had installed usually cured the handling problem set up.  I talked to the Tech and we left this option on the table for a return for additional Parts... Right now I have driven the RV in the wind and it feels great, but have not been on a Long trip as of yet.  Itching to Go, but cooped up....You know the deal...

I swear before throwing $$ at the suspension I was Aiming the RV (Lot's of Kentucky Wind-age) down the road. 

Drives like a Ferrari now.  ;D

Hope you find that sweet spot in your set up.

JD

A Trac Bar is often an excellent add-on, but read phil-t's reply carefully. It's worth spending money on it only if you are experiencing a problem it can effect. Primarily a trac bar aids in steering and tracking, reducing the tendency of the coach steering to wander or track (follow) almost imperceptible ruts in the road surface.

Generally - agree with what phil-t says.  Dependent on what the actual issue is will require a more specific fix.  If it is a harsh ride, then it could be shocks or air pressure in the tires.  Shocks are pretty straight forward, but tire pressure is a different animal and really requires getting a 4 corner weight and then setting pressure to tire manufacturer spec, for that weight.  Example - my rig came with 105 PSI all around - once weighed, reduced to 88 PSI - big difference.  IF you are getting a lot of tail wag, or pushed around on the road by other vehicles, then a rear trac bar will surely help, if not solve the problem.  If you are getting a lot of sway and roll, then you are looking at better sway bars.  If you have a lot of slop in your steering, then a steering stabilizer will make a big difference.  But, first, really need to identify the problem and go after that fix first, if that is the main problem you are having.  And you cant go wrong with the Super Steer product line from Henderson's Line Up.  This is the place where I have my suspension work done.

Back
Top Bottom