Hybrid traditional boat build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Boat Addict

I don't know if this is allowed or if there is any interest here. But while we are homebound and restricted from traveling across the country with everything being closed, I am starting a 21 foot skiff in my boat shed. Its will be a framed hull with plywood hull material.  If this is something that's not allowed, please delete it.

Attachments

• DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 59
Hey, I am guilty of posting lots of off subject posts.

I think that with all the concern and stress generated by the Corona situation we would welcome the distraction and benefit from reading about something different and interesting.

I look forward to watching the progression of your boat.

Heck, I posted about wearing my wife?s underwear. We all gotta find constructive ways to spend our time during this crisis. Let me know when the boat?s done. We can exchange pictures of how we spent our quarantines.  8)

Please keep posting.  Diversion at this time is good.  Currently I have a ton of projects to do around the house.  Most have nothing to do with RVing.  Unfortunately most require a trip to the local home center for tools supplies etc. 

Oldgator73 said:
Heck, I posted about wearing my wife?s underwear. We all gotta find constructive ways to spend our time during this crisis. Let me know when the boat?s done. We can exchange pictures of how we spent our quarantines.  8)

Hopefully you took a couple of selfies that you're willing to share. 

This type of project is like watching grass grow. The only 15 minute job on this type of boat build is your coffee break.  8)

Oldgator73 said:

You said that your wife has more than one pair of undies. I read and hear that a lot. What I would like to know is how do you  get a pair from only one? Or do you like to have complimenting colors when you wear the pair of undies. Inquiring minds want to know. ;D ;D

Boat Addict said:
You said that your wife has more than one pair of undies. I read and hear that a lot. What I would like to know is how do you  get a pair from only one? Or do you like to have complimenting colors when you wear the pair of undies. Inquiring minds want to know. ;D ;D

You have a point there. With a pair of socks or shoes you get two. With pants or underwear you only get one. I do like the panties that have the day of the week on the rear. At my age it really helps me keep up with what day it is. Of course you have to stack them in your drawer in the correct order.

Looks like a great project.
I am a hard core canoe, kayak and paddleboard paddler and have done lots of repairs on all of them using fiberglass, kevlar and epoxy. I have a 18 foot kevlar sea kayak that has won me lots of races,and I keep saying one of these days I would like to make one similar to it only it would be a stripper out of light weight cedar strips.
Keep us posted as you progress.

Jack L

JackL said:
Looks like a great project.
I am a hard core canoe, kayak and paddleboard paddler and have done lots of repairs on all of them using fiberglass, kevlar and epoxy. I have a 18 foot kevlar sea kayak that has won me lots of races,and I keep saying one of these days I would like to make one similar to it only it would be a stripper out of light weight cedar strips.
Keep us posted as you progress.

Jack L

You should try one of the fabric on frame kayaks . Talk about liteweight hulls too,, You got to have the right area for using those stripper canoes after all the time that it takes to build them. Of course these types of projects are all about the process, or therapy for the soul, IMO.

There are numerous liteweight paddleboards now that you can lift over your head almost with one hand.  This is an old FB page but he is still active. He makes the most incredible wooden oars and paddles too.

https://www.facebook.com/Chris-Jones-Surfboards-113813422008372/

Oldgator73 said:
You have a point there. With a pair of socks or shoes you get two. With pants or underwear you only get one. I do like the panties that have the day of the week on the rear. At my age it really helps me keep up with what day it is. Of course you have to stack them in your drawer in the correct order.

That reminds of an old joke.

Once, there were three middle school students about to take a history test. They were given books to study from and the next day they were all ready to take the test. However, they were all good friends and one of them came up with a brilliant idea to write down the answers on a piece of paper and put it in his underwear. The teacher asked the first, ?Who was the first president of the U.S.?? So the boy looks down into his underwear and said, ?George Washington.? Then the teacher asked the second boy, ?Who was the sixteenth president of the U.S.?? So the second boy looks down and says, ?Abraham Lincoln.? When it came to the third boy, the teacher asked, ?Who is the current President of the U.S.?? The boy answered, ?Fruit of the Loom.?

;D

garyb1st said:
Please keep posting.  Diversion at this time is good.  Currently I have a ton of projects to do around the house.  Most have nothing to do with RVing.  Unfortunately most require a trip to the local home center for tools supplies etc.

This is the jest of what the skeleton framing will end up looking like.

Attachments

• hull sheer shape resized (2).JPG
    hull sheer shape resized (2).JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 49
well some more details, Probably won't make much sense to you folks, I build this transom using solid wood laminates and then skin it with plywood skins glued to the solid wood. This method bulks up the thickness. The plywood stiffens up the wood layup , which is a softer wood , White Cedar.  I use this so that I can save weight.

Attachments

• transom layup.jpg
    transom layup.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44
  • transom 21.jpg
    transom 21.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 45
If after the plague comes the flood, someone please give me a head's up! ::)

winona said:
If after the plague comes the flood, someone please give me a head's up! ::)
You are a smart one. You guessed my motives in this current climate of social distancing, build an ark for me, my wife and my dog, each with a minimum of six feet separation with a few feet extra for my solar panel to operate my trolling motor and operate my short wave radio to communicate with aliens headed to pick us up.  ;D ;D :))

Landlubber question:  The thread title says "hybrid".  Does that mean a mix between hull types or other structural attribute, or the motive force used for it?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Boat Addict said:
You are a smart one. You guessed my motives in this current climate of social distancing, build an ark for me, my wife and my dog, each with a minimum of six feet separation with a few feet extra for my solar panel to operate my trolling motor and operate my short wave radio to communicate with aliens headed to pick us up.  ;D ;D :))

Aliens??  We are on the same page!  Last summer I had a neighborhood cat who liked to taunt my indoor cats by spraying on my windows.  This was okay (sort of) as long as the windows weren't up for the fresh air.  To keep the cat off, I took a section of aluminum dryer vent duct, cut it in half lengthwise, twisted it of sorts, then stapled that to a 2 x 4.  I rested these on the brickwork at my windows.  My neighbor caught sight of them and asked.  In my very best straight face, I told her they were to keep the aliens out, and that yes, it was working.  Her look was priceless.  Till we both started laughing.  Luckily she knows my humor!

Funny!!! As it relates to Hybird, well traditionally framed boats are solid wooden plank on frame unlike what I am using now for the hull material. Plus I will be using fiberglass on the plywood on the bottom. This makes the boat more durable long term when you glass it when its new. Yes I have been building in some form for close to 40 years, mostly all by eye. This includes designing for a certain need and size. So anything is possible using this method.

Looks great. Love wooden boats. Our family still has a cedar strip lapstrake outboard we fish with at our cottage in Canada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom