Snowbirds Looking to Return to NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTWinnebago

We?ve been down in Florida since early January, the park is sparse, Canadians have left for home.  The Park has curtailed all activities, so long solitary walks are the rule of the day.

We?re ok, safe and comfortable, have enough TP and food for a while yet, we?re going to stay through April and then test the waters for a trip back to NY.

Is anyone currently having any issues going north or finding overnight accommodations, etc? 

Thanks for any insight and or information.

A number of folks the have left our park in Zephyrhills have touched base and had no issues.  Depending on where they go they may need to self quarantine.  Depending on where in NY, you may be best off just stay here.

Headed upstate to the Syracuse area.  Everyone encourages us to stay put, other NY?s in the park are staying too.  In spite of everything the weather is beautiful, ?, one day at a time I guess. Thx.

I understand, we are staying put for the time being.  Hopefully there will be a time when travel is safe and a bit more predictable.

We left our last Florida State Park campground on schedule the day before they announced the closure. We canceled a planned National Forest reservation in North Carolina three days before they announced their closing. Yesterday we left an overnight at a private campground in Virginia just hours before the governor signed an executive order shutting down private campgrounds for less than 14 day stays. Tonight we're overnighting at a private park in NY and we'll be on our way to our Adirondack cottage in the morning. I hope we haven't jinxed those following us!

I am from Syracuse. What are you going to do when you get back to the crappy weather? Sit inside, go for walks. Certainly you are not going to visit anyone because for at least 14 days you should isolate yourselves. After 14 days you risk getting the virus from others if you visit them. You are better off in a sparsely populated area with nice weather than anywhere in NEW YORK STATE.

There is nothing to do in Syracuse either.

I spent 10 years living in Florida and I can honestly say that one of the happiest days of the year was seeing mean old Northern retirees heading back North after leaving some of their money behind!!

LOL - Just kidding folks (kind of); no need to get all wadded up..  ;D

darsben said:
I am from Syracuse. What are you going to do when you get back to the crappy weather? Sit inside, go for walks. Certainly you are not going to visit anyone because for at least 14 days you should isolate yourselves. After 14 days you risk getting the virus from others if you visit them. You are better off in a sparsely populated area with nice weather than anywhere in NEW YORK STATE.

We'll have plenty to do after we get to our cottage today. I don't know if the ice is out on the lake yet, but we have a number hiking trails around us, there will be yard work to do, the motorhome needs a good cleaning, and of course we can sit and relax all we want. We'll also have our support network in our daughters that live near by to help us with shopping, etc., so we have no problem heading there. The forecast shows the temps will be in the mid 50's to low 60's going into the next week or so.

darsben said:

We have beautiful weather here in SoCal.  But we are still sitting inside for the most part.  We can go out for walks, but walking around the block has never been high on my agenda of things to do.  We are currently under a stay at home order.  Not exactly sure what that even means.  Hopefully you guys in areas that have not been hard hit will not have to experience the real down side of this crisis.  Trust me, a 14 day isolation is pretty minimal compared to what we have.  Just did that and for the first week, it's not too bad.  By the end of April, we will have been in this situation for 6 weeks.  Hopefully things will be getting back to normal by then.  If not, I don't even want to think about it. 

Road Rats said:
I spent 10 years living in Florida and I can honestly say that one of the happiest days of the year was seeing mean old Northern retirees heading back North after leaving some of their money behind!!

LOL - Just kidding folks (kind of); no need to get all wadded up..  ;D

Road Rat, eh? Rat. You named yourself fittingly.

Just kidding (kind of).

I have heard from numerous biologists that they think the virus will be making a 2nd pass late summer/early fall. If possible, you may be better staying where you are until next spring.

irishtom29 said:
Road Rat, eh? Rat. You named yourself fittingly.

Just kidding (kind of).
Gosh Tom.. If I didn't know better, one would think you were (kind of) a mean old retired Yankee yourself!  8)

We're finally settled in at our Adirondack cottage full hookup site. One of our daughters dropped off a load of groceries the day before we got here, and our other daughter dropped off some additional items we requested today. While painfully maintaining appropriate distancing of course. All the non perishables have been placed in the cottage where they'll sit for a couple of days. The mostly frozen perishables went in the cottage fridge to wait out their isolation. We have enough food on hand in the motorhome for at least a week. We're remote enough here that it's pretty unlikely we'll need to worry about neighbors or anyone else getting too close. The few neighboring places we can see down the road are seasonals that normally only show up in the summer. I won't be surprised to see a few show up to hide out here early though.

We drove up from Bowling Green, FL to Danbury, CT 4/1 & 4/2 with no problems. Did one overnight at Fayetteville RV Park & Cottages and then up 95 to 64 to 81 to 84 and into CT. There was more Big Truck traffic than there were cars and very few RV's, maybe saw 4 or 5 northbound. The checkpoint was set up at the Florida/Georgia line for southbound traffic, no other checkpoint and very few cops the rest off the way. Fuel & gas were readily available the entire trip, gas as cheap as $1.49 in VA.

We stayed self contained, used the bathroom in the 5th wheel and did not go into any public buildings. I filled my cold water tank before I left......

NY_Dutch said:
We're finally settled in at our Adirondack cottage full hookup site.

Good to hear you've made your way back to the Adirondacks. Seems we were both on about the same travel schedule for leaving southern locations and heading back to the mountains of NY.

As far as the distancing thing goes, some info others who might not be familiar with the Adirondacks:

Today the Park is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

https://apa.ny.gov/about_park/index.html

darsben said:
I am from Syracuse. What are you going to do when you get back to the crappy weather?

I guess it all depends on what's waiting for you back home. In our case we have DOZENS of projects that we're anxious to get back to! The trip was fun but SO glad to be home in New York and can't wait to get to work around the property.

jymbee said:
I guess it all depends on what's waiting for you back home. In our case we have DOZENS of projects that we're anxious to get back to! The trip was fun but SO glad to be home in New York and can't wait to get to work around the property.

Yep, plenty to do here as well. And thanks to Amazon, UPS, and USPS, there's an accumulating pile of project pieces in our "isolation shed". I don't know what "crappy weather" Syracuse is getting, but here we've been seeing mid 50's to mid 60's so far, about the same as we saw in January in northern Florida.

We took the opposite view and left south Florida 6 weeks early and so very glad we did.  I do not want to be in Florida when this virus hits big.  We can wait it out way better in Central Illinois.  Been home bow for 2+ weeks and made all the runs to restore supplies at home to bunker down for 2-3 months or more if needed.  When the virus truly hits the over 55 communities all over Florida, it will be a mess and I can see where "non-residents" could be placed at the back of the line for medical treatment

NY_Dutch said:
Yep, plenty to do here as well. And thanks to Amazon, UPS, and USPS, there's an accumulating pile of project pieces in our "isolation shed". I don't know what "crappy weather" Syracuse is getting, but here we've been seeing mid 50's to mid 60's so far, about the same as we saw in January in northern Florida.
Same here. I already got the boat out and ready for the lake aside from cleaning the inside and I am currently working on replacing the carpet and captains chairs in our RV. I think I am about 1/3 done with the carpet since I have to do one segment at a time and wait for it to cure so I can stretch it around the curves of the wheel wells.

Since spring is coming up, it is about time for me to start rebuilding some of the string trimmers that I saved up over winter. They are good for a little extra side money and I am getting better at repairing them.

Back
Top Bottom