Macerator recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

At some point I'm thinking I may have to park my rig on my in-laws' farm if things prevent me from staying at my summer workamping campground location (already delayed a week due to the owner having been sick [apparently not COVID]) or if I have to leave. I would need a macerator to reach the septic system. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to be prepared just in case. Looking for recommendations, this one seems popular. Thanks.

X2. I'm in the same situation. I looked at that one, but reviews said it didn't hold up very well. I've been thinking about the Jabsco 115V model. A bit spendy, but more robust. Would like current owners of the flojet model to give their opinions.

I've also thought about it since it would be nice to clean out the black tank when we return from the house.  The RV is probably 150' from the clean out about 2 or 3 feet lower.  So it's a long uphill push.  Was thinking a larger diameter hose would help but then that might make the Macerator work a bit too hard. 

Was thinking a larger diameter hose would help but then that might make the Macerator work a bit too hard.
Try blowing through a regular straw, then try blowing through a cocktail straw. It takes a lot less effort to move the same volume of air through the larger diameter straw. So, a larger diameter hose would help, but you're still restricted by the diameter of the output port of the macerator pump.
The RV is probably 150' from the clean out about 2 or 3 feet lower.

The height difference isn't much, but that 150 feet is higher than the specs of macerators I've used. OTOH I'd be inclined to try it. Worst case, either nothing comes out, or it causes the fuse to blow.

Koodog said:
I've been thinking about the Jabsco 115V model. A bit spendy, but more robust. Would like current owners of the flojet model to give their opinions.

I'm thinking a 115V model would definitely have more push so will look at those Edit: "spendy" is an understatement - $600+ yikes.

In my immediate possible situation, it would be a very long run (possibly over 200') but a substantial drop from the RV (30 feet)

I've used the same pump in a different physical package (used a 3" hose to connect to the RV outlet rather than direct bayonet) and it pumps fine.  Mine was the Sanicon Tank Buddy package (see link at end of message).    The size of the output hose makes a huge difference in the workload on the pump, and the longer the distance the greater the effect of the hose diameter (internal friction).  My location was about 50 ft from the septic inlet and the pump overheated or blew fuses using a 5/8" hose.  I doubled up the hose with a "Y" and that allowed it to run for about 5 minutes at a stretch. I replaced the twin 5/8" hoses with 35 ft of 1-1/4" drain hose and fed it with 12 ft of 3/4" hose connected to the FloJet and that worked fine.  I also used a modified 12 gauge extension cord to bring power to the pump - it can easily draw 15A-20A under load.

For a 150 ft run, I would lay 1.5" or 2" PVC pipe for most of it and a minimal length of flex hose at the pump connection.  The PVC doesn't even need to be glued together (no back pressure), so you can even stow it away if needed.

https://www.thetford.com/product/sanicon-system/

If you're pumping uphill it's a good idea to have a shutoff valve at the macerator end of the pipe or hose run.  Use a gate or ball valve that allows maximum through flow.  Without one you'll have the contents of the hose drain out when you disconnect the Macerator.

The biggest problem I had using my Macerator on a regular basis was grease and hair building up around the shaft behind the impellor.  Eventually enough would collect to bind the rotation of the impellor and I'd have to disassemble the macerator head to clean it out.

If 120v power is available you can use a garbage disposal as a Macerator.  Less expensive than the Jabsco with a larger impellor and more motor power than a 12 volt pump:

https://rvnerds.com/2016/01/29/home-brew-macerator-pump/

I used my 12v macerator troublefree with a long contractor's hose slightly uphill but only intermittently. I also had my tanks evacuated by a local septic tank service that had a smaller truck that they used to service RVs. The septic tank service was easy peasy and, for me, preferable to messing with the macerator.

I've had good luck with the SewerSolution water powered macerator in the past.  At our old house we had a similar situation for access to the sewer clean-outs.

These may be a bit of a long/hard run for it - maybe someone else has used one over a long distance........

Here is the one I have been using since November. It's made by "SewerFlo". Not fancy, but it runs strong. I use it at least every other day to empty tanks 70' away, up an 8' incline through a 3/4" hose. I got the hose from Harbor Freight. I reduced the 1" discharge from the pump through a 12" piece of clear plastic tubing.

The discharge at the business end is quite strong. I can empty my 70 gallon gray tank in about 8-10 minutes. The black takes a bit longer as I use the gray to flush it several times during the dump.

It is also reasonably priced at $149. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KT254R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The link gave me a good old 404 road ,,,er page not found.

I have a Flo-Jet Macerator (portable) I feed it with 10ga wire from the fuse panel which in my RV is right above the waste tanks so it was an easy feed..  If the fuse panel had been a long way off I'd have run 10 ga back to the battery and a 25 amp fuse in line at the battery.

Does a good job but where as teh 3" stinkly slinky dumps in under a minute (36 gallons)( takes about six minutes with the pump. (well 3/4" hose 50foot)

THe one thing I will warn you about on mine.. The pump motor shaft extends out the "Bottom" of the motor and has a slot... The reason for this.

After a period of :non-use" the pump develpops what one comnputer geek calls "Stickshion" the impeller blades stick.  and the motor stalls. and blows the fuse in the switch handle.

Take a flat object (A quarter or any flat object) and give the shaft a twist before connecting .. Then it works.  I did not see this in the instructions (Does not mean it's not there)

I have used it from time to time. I like the portable because most places I park the 3" is so so so so much faster.

If you are going to use a garden hose style make sure that even in a pinch you dont substitute your drinking hose.  Not a bad idea to label them.

I went with Sarge's recommendation. Due to the long run (about 150') I elected to not reduce the 1" barb to garden hose - even top of the line 3/4" hoses choke to about half that at the fitting. I'm using 1" poly pipe, hope to have it hooked up in the next couple days, weather permitting

KandT said:
If you are going to use a garden hose style make sure that even in a pinch you dont substitute your drinking hose.  Not a bad idea to label them.

I have color coded hoses..  The 50 foot macerator 3/4" hose is BLACK
the 25' 3/4" "Gray #2" (Wash) Hose is Gray
Only gray and black hoses in the rig.. Kind of hard to mix 'em up.

Back2PA said:
I went with Sarge's recommendation. Due to the long run (about 150') I elected to not reduce the 1" barb to garden hose - even top of the line 3/4" hoses choke to about half that at the fitting. I'm using 1" poly pipe, hope to have it hooked up in the next couple days, weather permitting

As I know very little about macerators, but think this might a good option in our situation when the RV is parked at the house, I'm following this thread with interest.

In our case it's approximately 170' across a driveway/lawn area to a sewer cleanout. The first 140' or so is over a gentle downhill slope and the last 30' to the cleanout is a pretty steep downhill slope. Am I correct in assuming that even though that's a pretty long run that since it's downhill all the way a macerator would work ok?

Also, given it's across the driveway/lawn, I wouldn't want to use any kind of solid tubing, preferring a flexible hose that could laid out when used and stowed away when finished. Any issues there?

There's also 50 AMP service and a good water supply available where the RV is parked if this presents any alternate options? I read some info about the water powered system mentioned in this thread that also looks interesting.

The downhill slope would take a lot strain off of the pump. Once it gets going you may even create a siphon to help  out.  I went with a Harbor Freight hose for the dump hose. I bought a 100' hose and cut it to length to get to the sewer.  Since friction is the biggest drag on the fluid getting through the hose, I figured the less hose the better since I am pumping up a 8' incline. 

One warning if you go the Harbor Freight route. They tout the hose as "heavy duty" but that's just a name. It is a full 3/4" hose, but if you wind it up and it kinks, it will damage the hose and create a pinch point.  I took to rolling my up like you would if you were rolling a wagon wheel.  One big loop about 3' in diameter. Then I unroll the same way.  It has made the hose last much better than the first one I had.

And one other tip when hooking up the Macerator.  Wire gauge is critical to keep the pump happily running and keeping cool.  I ran a heavy length of wire right off of the battery bay hook ups with detachable heavy spring clips.  I can run the pump non stop for about 30 minutes or so with tripping the thermal protection circuit in the pump. 

When we had our RV, we purchased the flo-jet - fantsatic buy.

However, you might like to order something like this too - note 45-degree rather than the 90-degree - https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1026-1-ClearView-Hose-Adapter/dp/B000NCS7GE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

When we shipped our RV back to the UK, we had anything from a 2 metre to 100 metre run to the nearest waste point - we used either the main sewer hose, a ribbed 2" hose (ribbed on the outside with smooth inside) and even a garden hose for the extra long runs.

The flo-jet managed it all.

The reason for getting the clear attachment is to bring it out of the RV a little - when you get the occasional "hair blockage" around the blades, it is good to close the black lever and then, when you unhook the macerator, let the small amount of poop fall onto the ground instead of inside the bay and often on your hands as you are crouched too far into the bay.

If the pump had enough power, for long runs, why not build a line that starts higher than the sewer clean out?  In our situation, a short maybe 3 or 4 foot rise immediately after the motorhomes waste gate and then let gravity help with the rest of the 100+ feet run to the sewer. 

garyb1st said:
If the pump had enough power, for long runs, why not build a line that starts higher than the sewer clean out?  In our situation, a short maybe 3 or 4 foot rise immediately after the motorhomes waste gate and then let gravity help with the rest of the 100+ feet run to the sewer.

The load on the pump is calculated by total rise. Doesn't matter if it goes straight up to 4' then drop slightly over 100', or just gradually rises to final height over 100'

Back
Top Bottom