rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Anyone Buying a New RV Now?  (Read 492 times)

KandT

• ---
Anyone Buying a New RV Now?
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »
I have been watching the stats and towable where UP for Feb. compared to last Feb. 

Class "A" were still trending down - which I dont understand.  I like towable too but class "A's" have their advantages. 

I believe manufacturers have to order the chassis a year in advance.  I am just wondering if anyone here is buying a new one or has any insight into sales numbers.  I guess stores aren't open now.

Any insights would be appreciated.  I am wanting to make a move but a all this uncertainty leaves me in a quandary. 
2019 Ford F250 6.7 Deisel Crew Cab
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD - SOLD
American Car Dolly - SOLD
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD
Figuring out my next purchase.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Anyone Buying a New RV Now?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
The uncertainty may create some bargains if you want to buy, but chances are any usage you plan will get delayed. Your personal situation will dictate that trade-off.  Many RV and car dealers remain open here in Florida and desperately advertising sales, but other states will differ. RV service areas, though, even at dealers, seem to be deferring appointments.

I believe manufacturers have to order the chassis a year in advance. 
Months, anyway, at least for Class A's.  Probably a bit shorter for C's, which are standard chassis cabs off the vehicle manufacturer lots. But the RV builders always have some on hand to build the next several RVs, so need not be a concern if buying now.  The bigger concern if you plan a special order is that the RV factory can shut down at a moment's notice. Or workmanship may suffer if the workers know closure is imminent.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

KandT

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »

Months, anyway, at least for Class A's.  Probably a bit shorter for C's, which are standard chassis cabs off the vehicle manufacturer lots. But the RV builders always have some on hand to build the next several RVs, so need not be a concern if buying now.  The bigger concern if you plan a special order is that the RV factory can shut down at a moment's notice. Or workmanship may suffer if the workers know closure is imminent.

Thanks, as always, Gary.  I guess I am wondering if there are a lot fo RV's made that dealers are going to have one heck of a tough time selling.  I am willing to buy but dont know when I will be able to use it as you say.  I would buy a deal but I dont see anyone advertising that yet anyways.  I have to this about getting out the other end too - who knows what the market is going to be going forward!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:57:23 AM by KandT »
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
Of course there are deals, and there are going to be more & better ones.  But you have to go shopping and get out-the-door quotes to sort them out. The nature of the business is to always hawk sale pricing, but the only real price is the one on the bottom line of the sales invoice.   Of course the dealer will say they are giving really good prices now, but he would have said that last week too.

You have to have some notion of what the bottom-line price for your desired rig would have been last month, else how can you judge a better/lower price?  I don't see how you can do that since you haven't even decided towable vs motorhome yet. Furthermore, a bargain price can't be your only measure. A great deal on a rig that doesn't suit your needs is simply an expensive albatross around your neck.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

KandT

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
Of course there are deals, and there are going to be more & better ones.  But you have to go shopping and get out-the-door quotes to sort them out. The nature of the business is to always hawk sale pricing, but the only real price is the one on the bottom line of the sales invoice.   Of course the dealer will say they are giving really good prices now, but he would have said that last week too.

You have to have some notion of what the bottom-line price for your desired rig would have been last month, else how can you judge a better/lower price?  I don't see how you can do that since you haven't even decided towable vs motorhome yet. Furthermore, a bargain price can't be your only measure. A great deal on a rig that doesn't suit your needs is simply an expensive albatross around your neck.

Yep - Everything you said is right on the money!  That doesn't mean I have answers for what you said but you are right. 

In a bit of irony, we are thinking of towing what was going to be our tow vehicle. 

Quite frankly the smartest thing to do is probably not buy anything now.  That being said, I haven't always been known to do the smartest thing!
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Quite frankly the smartest thing to do is probably not buy anything now.  That being said, I haven't always been known to do the smartest thing!

Hopefully by the end of the month things will improve and if not we'll at least have a better picture of what to expect.  Aside from the financial considerations, travel restrictions may limit your travel to driving back and forth in your driveway.   :(
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

TJDave

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
I wouldn't have bought a new one before all this norovirus stuff started. We have looked at new ones each year at the RV shows, but none match the build quality of the older Holiday Rambler we have now. Not worth the payment, IMO. We have updated the TV's, which we rarely watch, and have added USB power ports. Maybe this year we will upgrade the furniture and floors.

One of these years, it will wear out. When that time comes, we will upgrade, and it probably will not be brand new either!

We were going to upgrade our dingy (2016 Jeep Wrangler), in the spring, to one of those nifty new Jeep pickup trucks. But, have scrubbed that idea for now. :(
2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral
2016 Jeep Wrangler, flat towed
2004 Jeep Wrangler, trailered
1993 Reinell 20' open bow

KandT

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:02:00 AM »
Well maybe no one this month.  The dealer I was working with one state over said they have been shut down by the state.  I dont know if there would even be a place to transfer titles if you went private used.  Crazy times - Stay healthy everyone!
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD