Change of Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To get off the gun subject,, I spent hundreds of nights in a parka and arctic boots at 30 -40- below zero with a 10 - 15 knot winds blowing up my but,, guarding canvas covered U2s on the flight line of Grand Forks AFB N.D... Even got the opportunity to spread eagle Gen. Curtis LeMay in 4 inches of snow on his belly,,,( Had a picture of a monkey on his personal ID badge) All with a 38 special on my side & a carbine in hand...>>>Dan
He had only 1 star in 1959.. and a beautiful 1957 Chevy convertable

Utclmjmpr said:
To get off the gun subject,, I spent hundreds of nights in a parka and arctic boots at 30 -40- below zero with a 10 - 15 knot winds blowing up my but,, guarding canvas covered U2s on the flight line of Grand Forks AFB N.D... Even got the opportunity to spread eagle Gen. Curtis LeMay in 4 inches of snow on his belly,,,( Had a picture of a monkey on his personal ID badge)
He had only 1 star in 1959.. and a beautiful 1957 Chevy convertable >>>Dan

Sounds like my life growing up in Minnesota.  Entire month of February 1977 it never got above 0?. 

Utclmjmpr said:
Gator,, I pulled my Air Force time to,,, and I wore a GUN every day,,, so the rest didn't have to ..>>>Dan

Thank You for your service Dan!  I guess they knew who could be trusted with a firearm!  memtb

garyb1st said:
Sounds like my life growing up in Minnesota.  Entire month of February 1977 it never got above 0?.

One February in San Antonio it was 100F. One winter on the flight line at Mt Home, ID it was -50F. Standing on the flight line in August at Nellis AFB, NV, probably 130F. Boot soles were melting. King Salmon Alaska-50F as I was walking to my part time job at the airport as a baggage handler.

Utclmjmpr said:
To get off the gun subject,, I spent hundreds of nights in a parka and arctic boots at 30 -40- below zero with a 10 - 15 knot winds blowing up my but,, guarding canvas covered U2s on the flight line of Grand Forks AFB N.D... Even got the opportunity to spread eagle Gen. Curtis LeMay in 4 inches of snow on his belly,,,( Had a picture of a monkey on his personal ID badge) All with a 38 special on my side & a carbine in hand...>>>Dan
He had only 1 star in 1959.. and a beautiful 1957 Chevy convertable

I was stationed at Misawa AB Japan in the Electronic Controls Shop, CE. Had a work order at the Elephant Cage which is a secure area. You have to have a Top Secret, SCI clearance to get in. I approached the guard tower and was told to halt by the SP in the tower. I halted and then was told to drop my tool bag and spread eagle on the ground. A few minutes later an SP vehicle arrived and two troops came up to me. They asked what my business was while training their M-16?s on me. I told them I had a work order. One of them called his desk Sgt who asked if I had a badge. Yes I did. He asked if I had a valid W/O. Yes I did. He told the two guys holding me to let me go do my job. They let me up and I headed back toward my truck. They asked where I was going. I said back to my shop, you can fix your own damn problem.

I am glad I am going to get to take my shotgun with me in my motorhome.
From some of the above comments, I am really glad that the founding fathers made it hard to make amendments to the Constitution.
USN veteran. 1960 - 1970. First Class Petty Officer E-6. Two tours on Aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam War.

LTG said:
I am glad I am going to get to take my shotgun with me in my motorhome.
From some of the above comments, I am really glad that the founding fathers made it hard to make amendments to the Constitution.
USN veteran. 1960 - 1970. First Class Petty Officer E-6. Two tours on Aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam War.

I don?t have any problem whatsoever that you are taking a shotgun on your travels. I have a problem with folks owning military style weapons that are capable of firing hundreds of rounds a minute. Your shotgun will certainly scare most intruders off and for those that aren?t scared off, you will most likely not miss with a weapon like that.

I would like to get back to my original topic of purchasing a piece of property in the mountains to park our little TT on. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of owning a parcel to park your your RV as a contingency plan or just because you want some kind of home base. Thank you.  :)

Oldgator73 said:
I would like to get back to my original topic of purchasing a piece of property in the mountains to park our little TT on. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of owning a parcel to park your your RV as a contingency plan or just because you want some kind of home base. Thank you.  :)

While I don't know how many more years we'll be RVing I haven't stopped thinking about how nice it would be to have a piece of property outside the big city.  At a minimum an acre of land with pad and hookups.  Ideally a 30 x 50 foot garage with some living quarters.  However with current prices in California, even in some of the more remote areas, we're looking at a minimum of $200,000 or more before any building.  And here in California, that's pretty remote.  At my age I can't overlook health care.  And while I'm in relatively good health now, that could change in a heart beat.  But I'm sure ready to say goodbye to the SoCal area and my 24 million neighbors. 

I really think it is a great idea for members to buy some land to place their RV. I just want to let those wanting land to know that Texas has a lot of land, some in the mountains, some on the plains, some on the coast. But, it really is not a good place to live. Maybe New York, maybe Canada, maybe Mexico, but not Texas. Just my opinion of course.

Memtb said:
  Many of these, perhaps most, are first time gun buyers. For most people this is the first ?crisis? real or imagined, that the have experienced.  There is fear that we, as a nation, could experience a societal breakdown. Hunger, fear, desperation causes people to do odd things. Many of these people are now attempting to use their 2nd Amendment right.....whether that fear is founded or not! To these people, wanting to purchase, they feel justified in their desire to defend themselves and their families. They should be given the ability to fulfill their 2nd. Amendment Right. memtb
That makes sense. I think that's actually a good argument to keep them open. Thanks, I really was baffled lol

LTG said:
But, it really is not a good place to live. Maybe New York, maybe Canada, maybe Mexico, but not Texas.

Live in Texas do you?  ;)

LTG said:
I really think it is a great idea for members to buy some land to place their RV. I just want to let those wanting land to know that Texas has a lot of land, some in the mountains, some on the plains, some on the coast. But, it really is not a good place to live. Maybe New York, maybe Canada, maybe Mexico, but not Texas. Just my opinion of course.

Texas is Terrible.  Stay put.  You don't want to come down here.  Mexico, I hear is very welcoming and safe too.

Sharing a story...Angel, a guy who built my porch, his brother is a truck driver in Mexico.  Cartel, tied him up, stripped down naked, threw him in the bushes beside the road and stole his 18 wheeler. Fire ants did a number on his fruit, so to speak.  He lived to tell the story.. barely.

Stay Safe....

JD

LTG said:

;D Good Job!

X-Roughneck said:
Texas is Terrible.  Stay put.  You don't want to come down here.  Mexico, I hear is very welcoming and safe too.

Information from another post:

Twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia lost population through net domestic migration between 2018 and 2019, six of which had losses over 25,000, and three of which experienced losses greater than 100,000. The top states with net domestic migration loss were California (-203,414), New York (-180,649), Illinois (-104,986), New Jersey (-48,946), Massachusetts (-30,274) and Louisiana (-26,045).

Texas has the fastest growing population in the nation; how can we as Texans reverse this trend???  LOL!

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/popest-nation.html

RR,

Love the new Lone Star Logo- Avatar, Thing a Ma-Bob, Dooo hickey, Chingadera. What ever it is called?

Hard to type well standing with my Right Hand over my Heart though.

I ____  :-* me some stark, empty, West Texas Desert!

JD

I am starting to believe Road Rats is actually working for the Texas tourism department.

Come on folks. All states have something beautiful and something ugly. People choose where they live based on economics, family, education, etc. Just because one person prefers one spot and another one a different location doesn?t make either wrong. It just means they weigh the differences in location differently. Chill folks. I think too many have been stuck inside during this pandemic.

We all of different concepts of what is needful. Apparently a lot of folks have decided they need their first gun, or another gun, or more ammunition, cause business at gun stores is booming. And the Constitution says they have the right to do so. Therefore the question becomes whether there is sufficient overriding concern to deny them. If people can patronize gun stores without noticeably increasing the virus risk to others, then there is no reason to deny them. Ditto for car & RV sales, real estate agencies, and other low-interaction businesses.  It's not just rights and desires; every additional business forced to close drives another nail in our economic coffin.  That damage is every bit as serious as illness.

This is an ongoing and acrimonious debate between the social distance police and moderates.  Or maybe between those who are fearful for their lives and those who are either more fatalistic or more foolish (take your pick).

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We all of different concepts of what is needful. Apparently a lot of folks have decided they need their first gun, or another gun, or more ammunition, cause business at gun stores is booming. And the Constitution says they have the right to do so. Therefore the question becomes whether there is sufficient overriding concern to deny them. If people can patronize gun stores without noticeably increasing the virus risk to others, then there is no reason to deny them. Ditto for car & RV sales, real estate agencies, and other low-interaction businesses.  It's not just rights and desires; every additional business forced to close drives another nail in our economic coffin.  That damage is every bit as serious as illness.

This is an ongoing and acrimonious debate between the social distance police and moderates.  Or maybe between those who are fearful for their lives and those who are either more fatalistic or more foolish (take your pick).

Well said Gary!

UTTransplant said:
I am starting to believe Road Rats is actually working for the Texas tourism department.

Come on folks. All states have something beautiful and something ugly. People choose where they live based on economics, family, education, etc. Just because one person prefers one spot and another one a different location doesn?t make either wrong. It just means they weigh the differences in location differently. Chill folks. I think too many have been stuck inside during this pandemic.

For 36 years we were pretty much told where we were going to live. There?s a saying in the Air Force (maybe the other branches too) the two best assignments are the one you just left and the one you just got to. We live in Delaware now. Not my choice but the grandkids are here so that?s where grammy wanted to go. If it were up to me it would have been Panama, Spain, Italy or the South of France. We have 10 acres on the beach in Mexico, long story how we ended up with that. It involves Japan, Hawaii and New Zealand. Anyway, I don?t ever want to live in Mexico. I would live in Texas before I lived in Mexico.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom