Armadillo's are a pain in the butt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Anyone know of a good way to deter armadillo's from coming into my yard and digging up the lawn and flower beds. I'm in FL and they seem to be quite popular here. The campground is in the middle of a game preserve.
I don't want to deal with trapping and releasing them in the woods.
Note: I also have a small dog.

Replies from members with proven methods are appreciated before hand.

I'm told the most effective deterrent is sturdy wire fencing that extends at least a foot underground. Other deterrents include grub and other lawn insect killers that remove the dillo's food sources. Live trapping can also reduce the population, but doesn't keep them from coming back...

Armadillos eat ants, grubs and earthworms. I'd  spray or spread insecticide on the yard.

PJ Stough said:
Armadillo stew? :)

As long as you're not sensitive to leprosy  ;)

Since you're looking for solutions, the buried fence NY_Dutch suggests would definitely work, although I would think a foot would be as deep as you'd need to go. I had loads of 'dillos in camp in FL, and their typical "dig" was a couple inches at most.

Oldgator73 said:
You know why it takes four Texans to eat an armadillo? Three to flag traffic while one eats.  8)
Spoken like a true Yankee!!  ;D

Road Rats said:
Spoken like a true Yankee!!  ;D

Not a yankee in the least. My father was born to sharecroppers in Dothan, AL. My mother was from Plant City, FL. I was born and raised in Daytona Beach, FL. But, I am proud to say I married a yankee 47 years ago. By the way, I have eaten armadillo and gator and bear and wild hog along with hoppin john, mustard, turnip and collard greens. My wife makes the best Lima beans and pan fried cornbread you will ever eat. I did my basic training in Texas and many of my Technical were there. I retired while stationed at Lackland AFB. So I spent my time in Texas. There are some nice areas in Texas. It?s not my cup of tea. Now, if you will excuse me I see a squirrel just got run over on the road behind me. I am one of the three designated traffic flaggers and we have to get to the animal before the buzzards do.  8)

Oldgator73 said:
Now, if you will excuse me I see a squirrel just got run over on the road behind me. I am one of the three designated traffic flaggers and we have to get to the animal before the buzzards do.  8)

Huge LOL  ;D

We used to be pestered with them, but I don't notice them any more since the hogs moved in. :(

The ideas of the fence and 22 Mag are great ideas but I think the CG would frown on then a little.
I'm going to look into lawn treatment to get rid of grubs and insects once I can safely check with Lowe's to see what they may have.

Lowes,  HD, Ace etc are open. Essential business in Florida. Our problem here in Okeechobee  is carpenter ants. I'd like an armadillo to come and get 'em

ChasA said:
Lowes,  HD, Ace etc are open. Essential business in Florida. Our problem here in Okeechobee  is carpenter ants. I'd like an armadillo to come and get 'em

I grew up in Florida. I know they have armadillos there. I?m sure I didn?t eat the last one before I left.  :D

I live on 1.4 acres in central Florida and we have always had armadillos.  While my preferred method of eradication is a .22 caliber pellet rifle, it requires a head shot and armadillos are primarily nocturnal.  They seem to really like freshly planted flower beds.  I have found that sprinkling red pepper in the bed keeps them away.

ez3putt said:
I live on 1.4 acres in central Florida and we have always had armadillos.  While my preferred method of eradication is a .22 caliber pellet rifle, it requires a head shot and armadillos are primarily nocturnal.  They seem to really like freshly planted flower beds.  I have found that sprinkling red pepper in the bed keeps them away.

I've also used a .177 pellet rifle. Pellet guns are much quieter than a .22mag.

Oldgator73 said:
Now, if you will excuse me I see a squirrel just got run over on the road behind me. I am one of the three designated traffic flaggers and we have to get to the animal before the buzzards do.  8)

I wish I had a photo of the Armadillo purse my sister had when she was a kid.  The tail curled around and was the handle.  Tiffany, probably not?

Purse probably went to the same dump as my Davy Crockett racoon tail hat.

My friend's father had a huge ranch outside Lufkin, Huge Pin Oak Trees beautiful area.  He talked me into going squirrel hunting with him.  He made some squirrel stew out of it and gave me a bowl.
I thought he was BSN that he ate them at first.

I was going to take a bite until I looked at the squirrel Flesh and saw the small patch of squirrel hair and hide he did not remove. 

I was NO Thanks! Done, as a matter of fact hunger is good.

As far as Leprosy...Eating Armadillo, I had heard that...a Double NO Thanks for Armadillo stew, but they make for some fine purses.  ;D

JD

So is Amarillo.....(and this song):
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-dcola-017&hsimp=yhs-017&hspart=dcola&p=Amarillo+song#id=7&vid=4110f30b024a278b7bc7e0d9fadb22cc&action=view

Back
Top Bottom