So do you just LOVE your 5G phone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Has 5G totally revolutionized your lifestyle?

Enabled you to download multiple streams of video simultaneously while your kids play real time death defying online games?

Trying to figure out whether that one extra "G" is as amazing as the wireless providers commercials make it out to be...  ::)

I could actually make it with a strong 3G signal, say 1.5MB (beats the 28.8KBPS modem I paid extra for on my notebook in the 80s!  ::) )

5G is only good wher 5G is good. alas per the coverager maps... I'm close to 5G but not close enough.

4G Lte is pushing the speed windows machine.. with lots left over.. The chromebooks can eat faster.  but I do not often need the speed.... Being an old CIS type I'm kind of text oriented and I can't read much over 1000 WPM.  (and at that speed I'm more scanning than reading)

Don't have a 5G phone and don't have 5G service in my area, so its all academic to me at this point. Probably 95% of our access is via wifi to a cable or DSL internet connection anyway, so cell network speeds aren't important to us. However, more bandwidth in congested area can only be a plus for all. If some of the users move to the wider 5G spectrum, there is more left for the rest of us.

Why do you need that much speed to do anything on a phone?  The screen isn't large enough to display UHD video and you won't be multitasking on the phone itself.

Only things I can think of would be to use the phone as a hotspot or cast the video to a large screen TV and for this you'd be better off to have a dedicated device.  If you use the phone to feed the kids game machines, TV, etc. they'll scream any time you take it out of the room.

Dont know, probably wont be in rural Oregon for another 5 years.

Lou Schneider said:
Why do you need that much speed to do anything on a phone?  The screen isn't large enough to display UHD video and you won't be multitasking on the phone itself.

Think about it. Instead of waiting THREE or evern FOUR or FIVE seconds to download an image heavy Internet page on your phone, if you had 5G that same page might only take ONE second! That's like getting TWO WHOLE SECONDS or more of your life back to do whatever you want with!  ;D :eek:

jymbee said:
Think about it. Instead of waiting THREE or evern FOUR or FIVE seconds to download an image heavy Internet page on your phone, if you had 5G that same page might only take ONE second! That's like getting TWO WHOLE SECONDS or more of your life back to do whatever you want with!  ;D :eek:

"You can microwave a Pop Tart. That just blew me away that you could do that. How long does it take to toast a Pop Tart? A minute and a half if you want it dark? People don't have that kind of time? Listen, if you need to zap-fry your Pop Tarts before you head out the door, you might want to loosen up your schedule."
---Brian Regan

There has been a conspiracy theory in the UK that 5G is causing the coronavirus  ::)

Consequently several masts have been set alight and the police are now investigating. 

Crazy.

jymbee said:
Has 5G totally revolutionized your lifestyle?

Enabled you to download multiple streams of video simultaneously while your kids play real time death defying online games?

Trying to figure out whether that one extra "G" is as amazing as the wireless providers commercials make it out to be...  ::)
That "xtra G" would be great if it was available everywhere 4G is today.  8)

jackiemac said:
There has been a conspiracy theory in the UK that 5G is causing the coronavirus  ::)

Consequently several masts have been set alight and the police are now investigating. 

That's just silly. Anyone who has done their internet research knows that chemtrails cause corona virus!  ;) ;D

Jackie, how does one burn a metal mast?  ???

Looks like they are trying.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc2t_k6dPoAhXDTN8KHf9rBxsQ0PADMAB6BAgFEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theverge.com%2F2020%2F4%2F6%2F21209363%2Fuk-5g-towers-burning-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-arson-attacks-carrier-response&usg=AOvVaw3H1aGHEVZwo-nbPX24GGRT

Usable 5G is pretty rare in the US at this point. One carrier is using a very high frequency which is short distance and does not penetrate walls well. Another is using the common UHF frequencies and works more like what we are used to but is only deployed in some city areas. Mostly it is all marketing hype for now to generate sales of new phones.

If you need a new phone, I guess getting one with 5G capability might not be a bad thing. For me, I bought a new older model that works fine.

Back2PA said:
Jackie, how does one burn a metal mast?  ???

There are lots of flammable components on that mast.  Fiberglass radomes over the antennas and rubber insulation on the coaxial lines are the first two that come to mind.

There is a much higher percentage of idiots in the world than even my cynical self imagined

jackiemac said:

Crazy.

Comment #1: Thanks for saving me typing (I was going to say that)
Comment #2: CRAZY.. yes. it is crazy.. but ... Well.. So is panic but when people panic they tend to go crazy.

Why is panic crazy?
Well take the case of the man who was in a defective airplane and bailed out
Either his parachute opens, or it does not... If it works. Nothing to worry about

If not: well thankfully there is a haystack below perhaps it will cushion his fall If he hits it good. Unless he hits the pitch fork that is.

If he misses the pitch fork No worries the hay stack is big and soft no worries

But he also missed the hay stack so now he has but two things to worry about Heaven or the other place.

Heaven no need to panic, but if he goes to the other place he'll be so busy greeting old friends he'll not have time to panic.

So why panic?

IN my life I've been in many Panic situtations from "Stage Fright" (Yes I've been on stage) and Mic Fright (That was the worst, I'm a singer and was not expecting to Solo). to physical things that cause many to panic. Fire, Broken bones,  Traffic situtations (Putting an 8' wide truck through a 7' gap without damage for example. or black ice)

The only time I went into panic mode (Stage fright) was walking OFF the stage.  Curtain closed.

jackiemac said:

Crazy.

My daughter-in-law is on this kick now.  I told her no way 5G can cause a virus, because, you know, science.

Viruses are Biology, EMFs are physics.

Told her those towers don't even have enough power to cause a good sunburn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom