Interior Decorating and Painting Walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NW

I'm very new to all of this, but am considering a Class A DP. Due to budget, it will need to be used. Many of the units I have looked at have a great layout, nice slides, furniture, appliance, etc. However, the walls often have a VERY country or Victorian look with the bordered and/or patterned wallpaper look. The newer models seem to offer a bit more contemporary interior design, but I have to likely look at something in the 2000-2004 or so models due to a maximum price budget limitation.

My question is how tough would it to be to paint over the interior wall material? Are there too many small crevices and cracks, or is the typical wall covering simply not going to accept paint well (I am assuming a good primer, of course)? Being absolutely new to this, it seems like it would be an easy way to find a coach that is otherwise a great layout and in good shape, then simply paint, change fabrics, window treatments, etc. Has anyone done this successfully or am I headed in the wrong direction?

All depends on what make and model of coach you are talking about. There is a wide variety of materials used in wall coverings, paneling, woodwork (or faux-wood work), etc.

NW

The 'viny' wallpapered surfaces may be painted over, by  washing down (TSP and water) and using a good quality primer first, followed with a good latex, oil or alkyd  paint.  I'd  recommend an oil based primer vs. latex/water based, but either will work.  It really depends on the particular surface, which should be tested for  paint adhesion in an inconspicuous area and left to dry.  If, when thoroughly dry (12-24 hours) it can be scrapped off or flakes, then change the primer.  It will, however takes several coats of each and may be very laborious, given "all the nooks and cranny's".  However, an airless paint sprayer will cover well, but all the areas not being sprayed will have to be masked off and the coach MUST be well ventilated with ALL power, including piolot lights, turned off.

The boarders can be removed using basically a little TSP in warm water and a scraper - though if sufficiently dampened it should come off in strips.  There are a variety of different adhesive solvents on the market which will work also.  The problem is, however, what the now 'exposed' surface looks like, compared to the rest.  It may  cover well with paint, but the areas where the strips were, may still show through.  You might simply replace the border to something more to your taste. 

Interior cabinets - if wood - may also be painted, with appropriate prep. steps - washing, sanding, wiping/vacuuming to remove dust, priming and top coat(2), but The vinyl covered 'wood appearance surfaces' may also be painted using the steps oulined for viny wallpaper, but due to the nature of the surface, I have found , even with exactive prep. work and high quality paint,  to be less durable. 

It's all about time and effort - many times a bad paint job looks worse than the original surfaces / decor.  I would think a professional house painter with spraying equipment would do the complete job in a few hours, (walls and cabinets) relatively inexpensively, especially if you did the prep. work. 

Also, the viny wall surfaces may be recovered with similar wallpaper material, using an appropriate 'vinyl adhesive, with or without removing the existing covering, but again tedious and time consuming. In fact, removing the 'factory' installed surface by be extremely difficult as it may have been applied to the wall structure material (hardboard sheets) under pressure. 

I hope this gives you some idea...

BT

Back
Top Bottom