Parasitic Battery Drain Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

I came home to a dead Jeep Battery... 2008 JK.  Charger had no effect.  So I took the battery in and got a new one.  Once installed I decided to charge it and measure the voltage.  Once charged, I disconnected the charger and the voltage started dropping quickly.  Then I put an ammeter in series with the battery to find out that something was drawing about 800 ma, more than 10X's what it should be.  Then I used the ammeter to track down the fuse that stopped the parasitic draw...M13... has something to do with the switch/console.  In the meantime, the lower right socket for 12V, the unswitched one, died... so I took the center panel off below the radio and sure nuff the red/blk wires are there but no voltage on red.  BLk was a short to ground as it should be.  I don't know where red goes except to say it goes into a black wrapped bundle about 1" in diameter below the radio. 

I'm stymied!!!  IF you have any suggestions please send them along.

thanks

G.

taoshum said:
I came home to a dead Jeep Battery... 2008 JK.  Charger had no effect.  So I took the battery in and got a new one.  Once installed I decided to charge it and measure the voltage.  Once charged, I disconnected the charger and the voltage started dropping quickly.  Then I put an ammeter in series with the battery to find out that something was drawing about 800 ma, more than 10X's what it should be.  Then I used the ammeter to track down the fuse that stopped the parasitic draw...M13... has something to do with the switch/console.  In the meantime, the lower right socket for 12V, the unswitched one, died... so I took the center panel off below the radio and sure nuff the red/blk wires are there but no voltage on red.  BLk was a short to ground as it should be.  I don't know where red goes except to say it goes into a black wrapped bundle about 1" in diameter below the radio. 
thanks
G.
taoshum
What else does not work, (is not getting power), while fuse M13 is removed?

mel s said:
taoshum
What else does not work, (is not getting power), while fuse M13 is removed?

I didn't do a thorough search but both power sockets in the front console area, the wireless remote key fob for lock/unlock, probably other things and a notification comes on in the display behind the steering wheel "no fuse".  M13 is next to the "switch" in the TIPM that I have to pull for towing (because of the steering lock in this model).  The engine still starts, the radio plays, lights still work, ...

just found this:  M13 supplies power to the cluster, wireless control module, left multi-function switch, and intrusion alarm systems. Maybe some other things depending on how the JK is equipped.

taoshum said:
thanks
G.
G
When fuse M13 is blown or removed the "red wire TO the lower right socket for 12V, (the unswitched one)", SHOULD NOT HAVE VOLTAGE.

I don't believe that's a problem.... (can you please explain why you think it is). 

I'll check it once more but as best I recall, the red wire is dead, fuse or no fuse... That, LOL, was the "original" problem that actually started this quest, after the new battery.

taoshum said:
I'll check it once more but as best I recall, the red wire is dead, fuse or no fuse... That, LOL, was the "original" problem that actually started this quest, after the new battery.

"red wire" is dead; M13 fuse is good and in the correct place;  still parasitic draw so I put the battery on a continuous charge for now.  Maybe after the virus situation gets resolved I can take the Jeep to a shop?  I watched the battery voltage after a full charge.  In 24 hours it dropped from about 12.8 to 12.4 VDC, just sitting there.  I did a "hard reset" on the TIPM and that didn't seem to help either.  baffled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom