rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Front license plate  (Read 643 times)

Psilvu

• ---
  • 2016 Winnebago Suncruiser 35P
    • Your Private Chef
Front license plate
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
We just got our Winnebago Suncruiser home to NH from FLA. It doesn't have front license plate (not required in FLA) it also doesn't have holes predrilled in the front to install one.
How much of a risk am I running by not installing a front license plate (required in NH)?
Anybody else driving an RV with just one plate in a two plates state?
Patrice, Susan, Scout & Spotty
'97 Tioga - '13 Winnebago Vista 26he
'16 Winnebago Suncruiser 35p
NH, ME, FL

uchu

• ---
Re: Front license plate
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
We just got our Winnebago Suncruiser home to NH from FLA. It doesn't have front license plate (not required in FLA) it also doesn't have holes predrilled in the front to install one.
How much of a risk am I running by not installing a front license plate (required in NH)?

If you are registering the motorhome in NH, you need both plates. Otherwise, you're risking a $150 fine, according to the NH DMV.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:56:38 AM by uchu »
1999 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
Not having the front plate gives any cop probable cause to stop your vehicle. Itís an open invitation for trouble.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
Not sure whether you plan to transfer the registration to NH or keep the FL plates. Answer to both....

If you keep it registered in FL, you do not need a front plate.

If you register the vehicle in NH, you will need both plates or you face a good possibility of a ticket.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:03:38 PM by Henry J Fate »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
Just drill pilot holes and screw the NH license plate into place with sheet metal screws.  If you want to be a bit more professional, you can get the square plastic inserts for license plate mounts in most any auto parts store.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »

Question and suggestion
Question: What is on the rear?  If it is a flordia Temp tag you are good to go:

If you are putting NH plates on the rear and you have the front plate. Visit auto-parts-are-us type stores (Too many to list) and pick up a front plate holder then figure out how to mount it YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL HOLES) but Well. just make sure the mount is secure. Likely a bolt through the holder or holder and plate. then a nut on the bolt then a washer then through the bumper then a nother washer then a 2nd nut I suggest Nylock for this nut

The first nut handles the curve in the bumper the 2nd holds it and nylock makes sure it sticks around.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »

You didn't say if it was registered in FL or NH.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:59 PM »
California requires a front plate so on our 1991 Miata we just set it on the dashboard so it could be seen through the windshield. 

I have seen several vehicles doing the same thing.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
Just drill pilot holes and screw the NH license plate into place with sheet metal screws.  If you want to be a bit more professional, you can get the square plastic inserts for license plate mounts in most any auto parts store.

I would mount 2 plates if required, but the question is why not?  Crazy how there are different rules for different states.  I know in TX we require two, but I have no Idea if they pull over out of state drivers because of it. 

Make sure you don't Drill into a wiring harness, get on a creeper and look before drilling.

My friend (Swear it was not me) drilled into a water line above his toilet one time, plaster wall in Castle Volturno Italy. 

Same rule applies to drilling in your case.  ;)

I will say, I drove from Detroit to the West Texas Desert with no plate on the back, a paper temp tag on the dashboard, with the incorrect VIN number, passed by 10 Police and did not get a second look.

Note to Self: Always bring your Glasses and Check the DMVs Work.

JD
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:54:19 AM by X-Roughneck »
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »
The Police cannot pull you over for not having a front plate if a front plate is not required in the State the Vehicle is registered in. Some States and or Provinces only issue 1 plate. We have only 1 plate here in Alberta issued and its been that way for about 40 years - it was done to A) cut costs in half
B) alot of people were taking them off anyways

Look at a Corvette it has a cover over the plate frame - often the front plate frame is on the car seat when you buy a new car because not all states required them
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »
When a license plate is run, even by a plate reader, the computer will indicate if one or two plates were issued. A friend of mine was given a ticket in NY for not having a CT plate on the front of his car.

Itís really simple: if you were issued two plates, put them on the vehicle. You can get a ticket if you donít. Much more important than that: it is probable cause to be stopped by police, which can open an entire can of worms that might not end well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:48:21 AM by HappyWanderer »
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »
I had the same issue. The thought of drilling holes in my brand new (to me) front bumper made my stomach churn.
I got a nice plate frame, lined it up and measured fourteen times, and got it done. Not a big deal.
And yes, if you received two plates you need to put them both on.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
Given how many places require 2 plates it seems irresponsible for manufacturers to not provide for mounting a front plate.

Perhaps when a new rv is shipped to a dealer in a one plate state, they leave off the front plate mount? Vehicles sold in 2 plate states must have a place to mount the front plate.

Contact either the manufacturer or a dealer that sells that brand in your state and ask where to mount the plate.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

Psilvu

• ---
  • 2016 Winnebago Suncruiser 35P
    • Your Private Chef
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
Thank you all for the great feedback. I guess I'm going to have to drill into fiberglass with the hope of not cracking it. My other option is zip ties on the grill
Patrice, Susan, Scout & Spotty
'97 Tioga - '13 Winnebago Vista 26he
'16 Winnebago Suncruiser 35p
NH, ME, FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »
You could set it up on the dashboard inside.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
That's too beautiful of a rig to consider various Jed Clampett options on the license plate.
Drilling the fiberglass was not that complicated, even for a worry wort like me....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:33:19 PM by BinaryBob »
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
That's too beautiful of a rig to consider various Jed Clampett options on the license plate.
Drilling the fiberglass was not that complicated, even for a worry wort like me....

Agreed.  Stand back and look at your Rig. Visualize where the plate will lay.  Have a Ruler and a  Magic Marker, and eyeball it.  Draw a marker line, drill a couple holes and bam you are done.  Beautiful plate successfully mounted on the front. 

Get the Press in female threads that Gary described.  The package will tell you what size of drill bit you need. 

You may want to drill a pilot hole about 1/8 so the bigger bit won't "Walk" on you scratching up you beautiful RV. 

LOOK beneath! Before you drill.

JD
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
California requires a front plate so on our 1991 Miata we just set it on the dashboard so it could be seen through the windshield. 

I have seen several vehicles doing the same thing.

You could set it up on the dashboard inside.

Window placement is not a legal solution for plate display, even if other people are doing it. Plates are not as visible behind sometimes-reflective glass and are not lit up at night, compared to being on the bumper. There are specific equipment codes about where/how a plate must be mounted to meet the legal guidelines.

Not only that, but having your plate sitting loose inside the vehicle can become a pretty major safety issue in the event of a crash... imagine that thin piece of metal slicing through the air toward your head!

You certainly CAN go without a front plate, but just understand the risk exists of being stopped and/or ticketed for that reason alone. As someone with a significant law enforcement background, in today's climate you probably have a low risk of being pulled over for missing a front plate (kinda like driving 5mph over the speed limit). But the risk is still there in 2-plate states, and any officer would be completely justified in a stop.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:49:14 PM by scottydl »
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »
Some years back a used car dealer in upstate NY was caught on I-87 running three cars bought at an auction with one set of dealer plates. The lead car only had a front plate and the tailing car only had a rear plate, with the middle car running with no plates. They tried to stay tight enough to hide the middle car, but the trooper that snagged them not only ticketed them for the missing registrations and plates, but also for following too closely. The fines were hefty and the state DMV pulled his dealers license for two years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:57 PM »
Thank you all for the great feedback. I guess I'm going to have to drill into fiberglass with the hope of not cracking it. My other option is zip ties on the grill

So, are you saying it's registered in NH?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
Winnebago probably has a license plate mount bracket on their parts list that you could order from them.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

ďAll I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.Ē -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

uchu

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:24 PM »
1999 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
Something like this would do the trick...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032K4VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uchu,

I will Spike the Ball for you.

Already contributing. #10 Was a Long ball for under, $5 bucks.

JD
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
     Here in NS we use only one plate, but the SUV came with a plate holder in the trunk, and if you look carefully there are 2 little pin holes in the center of the front bumper to guide the dealer if the vehicle was sold in a 2 plate jurisdiction.  So, before you drill anywhere, take a close look at the front to see if there are pilot holes or marks to install the bracket.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad