RV Parking Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Have you ever encountered an RVer who, perhaps due to inexperience or worse, thoughtlessness has parked in a public parking area, like WalMart or a Shopping Mall with jacks down, slide out extended, awnings out and BBQ lit?  This type of behaviour results in laws banning RV's from parking or boondocking and cast a bad reputation on our lifestyle.

Download and print this letter from the FMCA, which has been posted here with permission.  When you see this kind of behaviour, slip a copy under the windshield to acquaint the person with correct parking etiquette.

Attachments

• ParkingEtiquette.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 65
The Escapees RV Club has been in existence for nearly 25 years and provides a total support network for over 60,000 Rvers, many of which are full-timers.  Escapees have worked very hard to educate their members to abide by a basic code of etiquette when parking in a non-campground location.  Here is their simple code.  The letter has been provided to every Escapees member to pass out to fellow RVers who may be abusing a certain location's hospitality.  It reads:

"Dear Fellow RVer,

I hope you will accept this gentle reminder in the manner in which it is intended.  We obviously share and enjoy the RV lifestyle; therefore, we are comrades in the truest sense.  Please do not take offense with this letter, but rather consider the message with an open mind.

Some individuals would like to abolish overnight parking anywhere but in designated campgrounds.  I feel certain that you do not want to see this happen, nor do we, so we must be on our best behavior!  We?d like to share with you our code of dry-camping etiquette:

1.  Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
2.  Park out of the way.
3.  No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grill.
4.  Avoid using slide-outs if at all possible.
5.  Do not use your leveling jacks on asphalt.
5.  Limit your stay; don?t abuse your host?s generosity.
6.  Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank-you when feasible.
7.  Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
8.  Use safety precautions.

We wish you safe and happy travels,
A fellow RVer"

That sure looks like a decent code of behavior Steve, and not unlike what I'd expect if I owned a business property and had RVers overnight there.

It makes good sense to be considerate to those who allow us to use their property.  How many times have we seen inconsiderate people spoil a good thing for others??

Others can and do spoil it for others.  Reminds me of a parking lot in Burlington NY where RVers were welcome to park for an overnite or just while they were shopping.  A couple rigs from Quebec dumped their grey water which caused the management to ban all RVs from the lot.  Even though they knew the persons responsible the only way they could assure it would not happen again was to Ban all RV/s. 

Ron,

I am sure you are referring to Burlington, VERMONT, although Plattsburgh NEW YOR suffers from the idetintical scourge of undesireable RV visitors.  I am familiar with both cities, which are in a dichotemy because much of their income is derived from North of the border.  Regrettably this includes some inconsiderate RVers who have been known to behave in the way you described.  I had the misfortune of witnessing a similar event in Plattsburgh, which  resulted in the immediate ban of RV parking in all shopping malls in that city.  The even I witnessed occured in 1996, and the ban is in force until today.

Steve,

The occurrance I was refering about happened in 1992.  Its a real shame that others spoil a good thing for everybody.

At the walmart by my house, there were two RVers living in the parking lot for almost 2 months. Finally managment got sick of it and ran them off. Now I drove by another nearby walmart and the same two RVs are living there. It's crazy. I often park my RV at the walmart by my house and run inside then take off on the road. Security often stops me to ask if I'll be staying over night and tells me I have 48 hours. I dont even park there over night. This is just an example of people taking advantage of a good thing.

buffs94 said:
At the walmart by my house, there were two RVers living in the parking lot for almost 2 months. Finally managment got sick of it and ran them off. Now I drove by another nearby walmart and the same two RVs are living there. It's crazy. I often park my RV at the walmart by my house and run inside then take off on the road. Security often stops me to ask if I'll be staying over night and tells me I have 48 hours. I dont even park there over night. This is just an example of people taking advantage of a good thing.

I really is discusting how somebody has no respect for others.  They are the kind that will most likely to cry and raise a fuss when they are no longer welcome.  Problem is all rvers will suffer.

buffs94 said:
Now I drove by another nearby walmart and the same two RVs are living there.

If you are up to it, you might mention to the WM manager what happened at the other store and tell him that these people are not typical of RVers.

Ned said:
you might mention to the WM manager what happened at the other store and tell him that these people are not typical of RVers.

Ned,

What is a typical Wal-Mart RVer?  ??? 

Phil

I didn't say WalMart rvers, just rvers.  Unfortunately, the ones described are all too typical of the WalMart kind.

Back
Top Bottom