Miscellaneous items insurance question for full-timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timmy_B

OK, so we have now entered the wide, wide world of full-timing.  We've always been either home-owners or renters so we've always had policies there that cover our items separate from any RV we owned.  Now, we no longer have need for homeowner's or renter's insurance.

However, what about things that I keep long term in a storage room?  What if I suffer a loss while I'm in a hotel, on vacation AWAY from my motorhome?  Things like these that I've never had to consider before are now puzzling.  Getting through to my agent has been painful to say the least during this quarantine period.

What do you folks do/recommend for these situations?  We're not talking expensive jewelry or anything; just simple things like bikes, computers, kayaks, etc.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim

Generally speaking, without homeowners or renters insurance you have on personal property coverage that would apply to your goods in a hotel or storage room. You probably have Personal Property coverage in your RV policy (check that, and the coverage amount), but in most policies that covers only items actually in or on the RV.

The default amount of RV personal Property coverage is often modest ($2000 is common) and that amount has to cover a lot more than you might initially expect.  Clothing, phones, computers, kitchen utensils and small appliances, food stuffs, BBQ grill, water & sewer hoses, etc. In many policies it also has to cover any installed RV accessories, e.g. things like a tow bar, a front bra, maybe even patio and window awnings and slide toppers.  Those things are optional add-ons in many RVs and insurance companies often lump them all into the accessories category.  I'd suggest expanding the limit on your Personal Property Coverage - it usually isn't very expensive at all.

As for items stored elsewhere, you will have to hunt around for options.  A workaround may be to have a relative rent the storage site so that his or her insurance covers it. I've heard that some storage sites have insurance available, so inquire about that as well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Generally speaking, without homeowners or renters insurance you have on personal property coverage that would apply to your goods in a hotel or storage room. You probably have Personal Property coverage in your RV policy (check that, and the coverage amount), but in most policies that covers only items actually in or on the RV.

The default amount of RV personal Property coverage is often modest ($2000 is common) and that amount has to cover a lot more than you might initially expect.  Clothing, phones, computers, kitchen utensils and small appliances, food stuffs, BBQ grill, water & sewer hoses, etc. In many policies it also has to cover any installed RV accessories, e.g. things like a tow bar, a front bra, maybe even patio and window awnings and slide toppers.  Those things are optional add-ons in many RVs and insurance companies often lump them all into the accessories category.  I'd suggest expanding the limit on your Personal Property Coverage - it usually isn't very expensive at all.

As for items stored elsewhere, you will have to hunt around for options.  A workaround may be to have a relative rent the storage site so that his or her insurance covers it. I've heard that some storage sites have insurance available, so inquire about that as well.

Yeah, we bumped up our personal items/effects to $25K, simply because we have some mid-range bikes and inflatable kayaks, etc.  I figured if we took a total loss because of fire, that number would let us get back to close to where we are and it wasn't THAT much more per year to bump it up. 

I might have to do that with the storage room.  That would at least take care of that.  I'm still wondering how I would protect my stuff when I'm away from the RV.

Thanks for the suggestions!

t

You simply purchase a policy to cover the personal goods in the storage unit.  Sometimes called Tenant Insurance or Self-storage Insurance.  If the company with which you have your RV insurance can't provide this as a rider, or add-on coverage, then you will just have a separate policy for the stored goods. 

Google it for examples such as the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=insurance+for+off+site+storage&oq=insurance+for+off+site+storage&aqs=chrome..69i57.13320j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Dreamsend said:
You simply purchase a policy to cover the personal goods in the storage unit.  Sometimes called Tenant Insurance or Self-storage Insurance.  If the company with which you have your RV insurance can't provide this as a rider, or add-on coverage, then you will just have a separate policy for the stored goods. 

Google it for examples such as the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=insurance+for+off+site+storage&oq=insurance+for+off+site+storage&aqs=chrome..69i57.13320j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thank you, and thanks for the link.  Always had this coverage as part of homeowner's or renters so didn't know it existed on a standalone basis.

Progressive has a full-timer's package that includes storage shed:

"Storage Shed Contents Coverage?Pays up to $5,000 for contents located in a shed owned, leased or rented by the insured at the time of loss. This coverage can be selected with optional Replacement Cost Personal Effects coverage to provide additional protection for the insured."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom