Princess and Holland America cancel 2020 Alaska sailings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Don, you won't be able to drive unless Canada and the US open the border to non commercial travel, and the Canadian government is saying that likely won't occur for months.  In fact, the Canadian government announced increased measures yesterday for anyone entering Canada.

Ed

Wow, that's a huge blow to the area. But this has far reaching consequences with all the other cruise ships in other regions and their workers now  on the ships idle. All of the suppliers and the people that provide products to the ships, including the farmers are being impacted. Where does all this end?

I am not surprised given that the Alaska cruise season ends in mid September, and prime season is before July.  Plus even if they didn't cancel it, just how much interest in tickets would you expect.  The only way I would even consider it at the moment would be if I had recovered from Covid-19, even then there is too much chance of a ship wide outbreak stranding everyone aboard for weeks.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Don, you won't be able to drive unless Canada and the US open the border to non commercial travel, and the Canadian government is saying that likely won't occur for months.  In fact, the Canadian government announced increased measures yesterday for anyone entering Canada.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I knew that and completely forgot it.

I retired from Holland America Westours in '99. It's mind boggling how many people won't have a job this summer. If I remember right we had over 100 bus drivers in Fairbanks alone. Plus all the support people to keep all the tourist on schedule. The majority of the summer heirs were college students.

It's going to be a bad year for Alaska.

Don, it isn't only those who want to visit Alaska that would be affected by an ongoing border closure.  We in Atlantic Canada are heavily dependent on tourism, and an active Cruise Ship season, Central Canada similarly has significant areas of high tourism dependent economy.  It will be financially devastating if tourism doesn't open up.  Yet with per capita cases in the US much higher than in Canada, there is pressure to maintain the non commercial closure for a while.

Ed

We were going to take a cruise in August with stops in Canada's Atlantic side, I wonder if that's even a possibility anymore. Luckily we haven't purchased tickets yet, we're waiting to see how things go. Fingers crossed!

Chakara said:
I wonder if you'd still be able to get there with the ferry's?

Quite a few of the Alaska Ferries went out of service last year due to mechanical issues, crippling the route map.  I have no idea if any have come back online yet.  In any case, being on a ferry for a week is just as bad as being on a cruise ship - maybe worse as the cruise ships don't have people camping in tents on the deck.

You could ship your car/RV as cargo and fly from Seattle to Anchorage or vice-versa.  But last I heard Alaska is pretty much shut down with the state discouraging town to town travel.

Back
Top Bottom