Flagstaff 176ED pop ups - electrical system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wawrzkow

I'm new with this so please excuse my ignorance.  However, we are going on a 10 day trip tomorrow and the ceiling lights and fan don't work, even when the trailer is hooked up to an exterior AC cord.  Any ideas what the problem may be??

Battery shape?  Well, the pump to the water reservoir runs and so does the small exterior light next to the entrance on battery if that answers the question.

well, the fuses are fine, although there was current when I removed them despite shutting off the main circuit breakers and disconnecting the AC current (electricity will for ever puzzle me!).  I also tested the GFCI receptacle, followed by pushing in on the reset button.

wawrzkow said:
well, the fuses are fine, although there was current when I removed them despite shutting off the main circuit breakers and disconnecting the AC current (electricity will for ever puzzle me!).  I also tested the GFCI receptacle, followed by pushing in on the reset button.

Hmmm.  Trying to remember back to my tent trailer days -- which were in the middle Pliestocene to give you an idea.  Generally in travel trailers, the 120VAC runs the A/C, microwave, convenience outlets (plugs), and the fridge.  The fridge does run on gas (and 12VDC) when not connected to campground power.  The batteries, the 12VDC, runs the water pump, the house lights, the furnace fan, and the control board of the fridge.  The batteries are charged by a converter/charger running on 120VAC when connected to shore power.  A GFCI is always on a 120VAC circuit.  The 120VAC circuits are protected by circuit breakers, the 12VDC by automotive style fuses. 

If you have a electrical multimeter check out the light socket to see if you have power and it is about 12volts.  If you do, replace the bulb.  Beyond that you have me.

The ceiling lights and fan are 12v (battery) powered, so are not affected by disconnecting shore power. You probably have some sort of battery charger built in, though perhaps not. You did not mention the year/make/model of trailer, so we don't have much to go on.

It sounds as though you have a blown 12v fuse or perhaps a broken wire or corroded connection on the circuit that powers those two items.

If you don't have any 12 volt items that work check the master 12 volt fuse it is usually in a fuse holder either in he battery box or very near it. It is usually a 20 amp auto style blade fuse .

My pup has a safety switch that cuts the lights when the galley is flipped.  Drove me nuts one day.  The galley wasn't seated right.

I concur with willjm3931.  There is a small switch under the galley (left corner).  Push down on it and try your lights again.

I have had some electrical issues with my Flagstaff PUP, so I hope it is not that for you. 

the ceiling lights & fan probably only run off the battery, not the shore power- similar to mine, but the gfi outlets work off shore power

My PUP has a 'kill switch' for the 12-v., and if not making proper contact, 12-v. won't work.  (Fleetwood Niagara has kill switch on wall of rear bunkend, but other models have kill switches where the galley flips over).  I've had issues where when on the road, something has gotten in between the switch/activator (something always shifts in the aisle), then when setting up and pulling out the bunk end proper contact isn't made....frustrating!!  I've resorted several times to a light whack with a rubber mallet!

Back
Top Bottom