West Coast of Michigan - Having Trouble Finding a Place to Meet Our Needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thanks for your time and consideration. 

Working on researching a June 2021 trip from the Pittsburgh area, up through Michigan from South to North, across the Upper Peninsula, and down through Wisconsin on our way home. 

We've identified the Kalamazoo/Saugatuck/Holland/Grand Haven area as one that we'd really like to visit for 3-4 nights. 

I'm having a very difficult time figuring out where we'd stay.  (For reference, we tow a 28' travel trailer and would like at least 30 amp service + water availability + dump availability.  Full hookups not necessary.) 

We usually do pretty well with state parks / provincial parks, but I'm really striking out along the MI coast. 

We value a little bit of space & privacy when we camp...I can't sleep with someone else's campfire/voices/music 10-15 feet from where I lay my head.  All of the "parking lot" style campgrounds aren't a possibility for us. 

Van Buren State Park looks OK for us. 

Yankee Springs S.R.A. looks OK, but our experience with "water based/boating" campgrounds is that we should look elsewhere for quiet. 

Holland State Park looks nice, but seems to be notoriously busy and tight quarters. 

No Hip Camp accommodations that meet our requirements in the area. 

Private campground-wise, I see a few that look OK for us...Pioneer Point, Tri-Ponds, and Hungry Horse stand out as affording a bit of personal space and hopefully quiet. 

Anything else that I'm missing in that area that would work for us? 

We'd like to be able to hit things like Air Zoo, Bell's Brewery, Meijer Gardens, the town of Holland & farm market, Saugatuck dunes, etc from whichever home base we ultimately choose. 

Thanks!  :)

You will find more of what your looking for in the upper peninsula than lower,, if for no other reason than humanity location..>>>Dan  ( Born in Kalamazoo )

We are megopolis refugees and only ever stay at one place on the west coast of Michigan and that in only for TCT rallies. 

But, if you are going to be going though that much of Michigan, I have two recommendations for you.  Unfortunately, I do not know if the Wayne County fair ground will be open (Michigan's governor is s problem), but if you can, detour for the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.  It will kill at least a whole day.  Read about it, there may be more there that you might like.  The other is off track by some, but well worth finding.  It is the Gilmore Automotive collection in Hickory Corners.  This is also a day killer, but I have no clue where to park for the night as we usually make it a day trip. 

Also a note, check GasBuddy as you may want to fuel in Ohio.

Matt   

A couple of campgrounds in Michigan I like.  One is Sterling State Park along Lake Erie in Monroe MI.  It has almost no trees, but that gives you a good view of the lake.  Also, lots of paved bike and hiking trails around some ponds and marshlands.  Both full and partial hookups.  And do head for the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn and take the factory tour they offer of a Ford plant.

Another great place is Hartwick Pines State Park near Gaylord, Michigan.  It has full hookups and there is a very nice logging museum there.  Also has one of two strands of virgin white pines you can walk through.  Also, good canoeing on the nearby Au Sable River. 

And really, much more interesting than the lower west coast of Michigan is Traverse City.  Great restaurants and wineries, and lots of lake and beaches.  Drive up the Old Mission Peninsula and enjoy some of the many wineries there.  Downtown Traverse City is also a neat place, as are nearby towns on Leland and Glen Arbor along Lake Michigan.  And should not miss Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park just southwest of Traverse City. 

Then head north to Mackinaw City and take the ferry to Mackinac Island so you can take a horse drawn carriage ride, ride your bike around the only state highway in Michigan that does not allow any motorized vehicles, and buy some fudge and become an official "Fudgie."  There should be lots of lilacs in bloom on the island about then. (Lilac trees are very old on the island because many were planted by the French Settlers when it was a French settlement.) Good place to park an RV for a couple of hours in Mackinaw City is underneath the Big Mac Bridge and visit the fort and walk around town.  WARNING:  Watch the warning signs for a couple of the streets that go under the bridge for low clearance or you will lose the top of your RV.  (I once had to back up through a four-way stop light to avoid doing just that.)

Frankly, one of the reasons you are having problems finding places to stay along the west coast of Michigan is that it is not as popular or as scenic as other places in the state.  Personally, I would skip it.

Also, if you are driving the Ohio turnpike and looking for a quick night's stop, half of the service areas offer RV parking spots with electric hookups, water fill station, and dump stations all for only $20 in cash.  Very handy, but there are several nice spots to visit along the Lake Erie Coast.  One of my favorites is Maumee Bay State Park, especially during seasons when birds are migrating to and from Canada.

Hi steelmooch,

Hope this will be o.k. but you might try to contact Len and Jo on the forum. They post a lot in the Van Conversions area and besides being super nice people, know a lot of areas to camp in Michigan and I am sure the west coast of Michigan. You can look at their posts on the forum and might find areas or contact them by personal message (PM). Good luck and safe travels.

There is an area of Michigan (In fact a couple of 'em) Duns state park.. BIG Sand Piles. I mean BIG Sand Piles.  Right on the lake shore.

One of them there is a nice little private campground that literally shares a line fence with the state park.

Sadly I'm not sure which one it is though. I'll have to remember to ask him

One other issue is till mid May at least they are not accepting incoming "Guests" due to the "Stay home" order of the Governor...   

I hang out on the east side of the state normally this time of year but that same order applies all over MI so I'm stuck where I'm stuck till it's lifted. Oh well

I have stayed at several Michigan state parks. All are great but sites can be close together. JW Wells on the MI WI border, Ft. Wilkins on the Keweenaw peninsula, Wilderness SP near Macanaw, and others. You will not likely find private CG's with more space or more quiet. COE CG's have larger spaces. I have no idea if any are in MI.

Grand Haven look at East Point RV Resort. It is very nice, but it is an RV Park, not a campground. Paved roads and paved sites. There is a pool. Grand Haven is a nice town. There is a river front walkway front town to the state park at the Lake front.
https://eastpointervresort.com

Back
Top Bottom