Dometic WeatherPro Awning - Wind Sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Dometic WeatherPro Awning - Wind Sensor

Hi Guys

When I extend the awning, it has started to retract after 5 seconds or so - even with the wind setting at its highest.

Then, it won't extend again unless I disconnect and reconnect the 12v power supply.

Then it just repeats as before.

So, I sent an email to Dometic Customer Service for any advice on what to do or how to reset the thing.

They said "Sounds like there is a communication fault with the wind sensor."........funny, I hadnt thought of that  ;D

Despite telling them we are in the UK, they recommended that "you take it in to a service center for diagnosis & repair" and gave me the link to search the US and Canada.

I emailed them and explained (again) that we are in the UK and were told "You will need to get it to a service center." - so much for Customer Service then (though I cant be too harsh as Dometic were excellent with our microwave issue).

So, do any of you guys know how to reset the awning so it doesnt retract like this ?

Thanks
Paul

This is a common problem with the A&E weather pros.  I've installed a new controller and sensor (They have to be mated) and the results were the same,  We finally disabled the automatic retraction (Sensor).. Alas, this also disables the auto-retract on engine start  I'm going to have to work on that.

I'm not too pleased with A&E and suffice to say the one I have now is the ONLY one I'll ever own,  Next time I'm going Carefree,  I may yet figure out how to modify this one to use a Carefree sensor.

Paul,

I tried finding a closer Dometic service center, but they don't appear to have any (or at least any that deal with awnings) in the UK or mainland Europe, although their web site might lead you to believe otherwise. I also couldn't get to the manual online following the links on their web site.

I was hoping someone like John would jump in with a "this is what I did" response.

Going back to Dometic's comment:

Sounds like there is a communication fault with the wind sensor.

Are there any connectors/connections you could check between the sensor and the controller? A bad/loose connection could be the cause of the failure to communicate. I'm not familiar with the system, so apologies for not coming up with a better suggestion.

UK-RV

We have the same system.  Are you aware there is a shut switch along side of the box in the bay to disable the wind sensor.  Our awning would retract when there was no wind and not retract where there was.  So, we disabled it and put the awning up when we leave the coach.

We are presently at an FMCA Convention and Tim (husband) talked to Dometic, makers of the A&E weather pro.  The dealer basically told Tim, the first production of the wind sensor was useless and the followup sensor isn't much better, so we'll just keep it shut off.  I do however love the fact that I can extend and retract it rather than fight with a manual awnings.

John, I don't think ours has the "retract upon start up" function that yours has.  At least we haven't tried it.  We don't start the engine until everything is ready to move, which includes retracting the awnings and securing them.

Marsha~

Wonder when they will get it right and start a program to fix all their failed experimentations the have sold thus far at no charge. ;D

......and start a program to fix all their failed experimentations....

I think they had already started that program with our Awning - they didnt bother to fit the wind sensor in the first place. Problem solved.

It was only on one of our "get to know every Fleetwood dealer in the USA"  :eek: visits that we found it was missing.

Instead of fitting the sensor to the roof (like old models) it is now fitted to the actual awning - unless they forget to fit it of course.

As the receiver and sensor have to be "mated", I'm surprised Dometic cant just suggest a procedure to try by email. (I had a similar issue with our door remote not working and managed to find that solution on the internet - it just involved a sequence of pressing the remote and receiver a certain number of times).

I will try Fleetwood, as it's amazing just how many "help sheets" they have hidden at their Customer Service Center.

Paul

I just returned from Winnebago GNR. Dometic Sales/Service was there. I requested sensor repair-service on my 2006 MH. Problem was sensor beeped in the "enable" mode.

Service Tech replaced only the roof sensor. I asked for explanation on what problem is with sensors. He showed me the clip type wire connection below the sensor plate in the short stack. The connection connects all sensor inputs to the main unit control. He explained..majority of problems he saw were moisture corrosion in that clip connection..then showed me mine..that he just removed. He said most sensor initial installers fail to adequately coat-protect the connection with the supplied dielectric grease. He assured me he gunked my new connection up pretty good so... future connection corrosion should not be an issue. All's working well...No charge to repair.

If you have a beeping at the control panel from the activated-"enabled" sensor...consider turning switch to "disable"...then removing-lifting up the sensor after unscrewing the three screws to the top of the MH. Spray clean both unconnected male & female connections with standard electrical connection cleaner. Reconnect male-female ends...coat thoroughly the cleaned connection with dielectric grease. Place control unit to "enable"..If there's no beeping...you just saved a bunch!!!! By chance it is fixed....be sure to recheck that the dip switches controlling wind trigger speed are set back to the factory setting..

Pubtym:

You are responding to a two-year old post but I must point out that your sensor is an old system replaced with the 2007 models that use a sensor mounted on the end of the awning arm instead of on the roof trhat used a different controller and senses temperature change instead of wind velocity. (Yours works better).

Jeff said:
Pubtym:

You are responding to a two-year old post but I must point out that your sensor is an old system replaced with the 2007 models that use a sensor mounted on the end of the awning arm instead of on the roof that used a different controller and senses temperature change instead of wind velocity. (Yours works better).

Exactly...and I must point out...after following this same sensor problem on other forums for three years..and never seeing the connection corrosion fix addressed..I posted this fix to my old roof mounted sensor...which according to the tech..sensed wind changes..by sensing temp delta data between two fixed electrodes...and those values went to a table of data in the main controller for wind equivalents..then compared all to dip switch settings..

Back
Top Bottom