hipcamp.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FunSteak

Anyone else try this site yet?  www.hipcamp.com  It's like the Air B&B of camping.  You book via the service, but the sites are owned by individuals and are on private land.  They are not "commercial" campgrounds, so the locations and available sites and amenities are all over the place.  Some might have electric or water, some don't.  Some are tent only, some are okay for RVs.  There are even cabins on some properties. 

We just learned of it, and tried it last weekend.  As long as all facilities (restrooms, showers, or whatever else they may have) are closed, it's okay to use as far as IL is concerned.  We found a beautiful farm property in NW Illinois, and were able to camp right on their pond.  It was LOVELY.  Plus, we only saw one other person, the owner, and only from about 10 or 15 feet away, so no issues with social distancing. 

Booking was very simple, and this particular location was quite reasonable ($25/night).  Host was delightful.  He had a 50A connection (!) which was a surprise.  It was a wonderful experience, and we were SO very ready to be in the coach after the long winter and the current situation.  Plus, we were guilt free, since we were not in proximity to anyone else.  We'll definitely use this service again. 

Anyone else tried this yet?  If not, I can recommend based on our first experience.  I mean, look at the photo - it was a beautiful spot.

Attachments

• Linden2_sm.jpg
    Linden2_sm.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 37
I can't speak from experience using HipCamp but our nephew is a host and was rated #1 Kentucky for 2019.  His sites are for tent camping but from what I've heard from him and read about, I would expect RVers could find some hidden gems.  It sounded like most of his campers book online, they may communicate some by phone but a lot by text.  He gives the direction to the site and unless the camper wants personal contact they just come, set up camp, follow the few rules about keeping the site clean, enjoy their stay, and leave as happy campers.  I know that some hosts could be total jerks but I would think most would be straightforward with their descriptions and expectations. 

I think a lot of the sites would be a destination or base camp instead of quick overnight stop. 

Shelia

We sure feel like we stumbled on a hidden gem.  Really gave a good first impression of hipcamp.

:)) :)) :))
Through Boondockers Welcome we have had some interesting short stays and met some of the most fascinating and generous folks.
Only recently have BW instituted an option for hosts to charge for utilities.  Most refused our offer to pay.
Now with our longer rig we'll include hipcamp.com as an option to explore, as many BW sites can't accommodate the length.

Back
Top Bottom