Snow question for FTers in Southern Idaho or other snowy places...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMSVA

We are trying to decide one of two places to settle for a year or so. We like to go to different places every year or so and remain stationary in between. One of the places is Twin Falls, Idaho. I understand that the winters are cold and about 30+ inches of snow a year. For those that are full time RVers and stay thru the winters, What do you do about the snow-load on your RV? Do you kept it swept off or ignore it? What would be your advise?
I'm in a 5th wheel and not too worried about the temperature but more worried about snow.

The snow load apparently is not much of a problem given the number of new and used RV's that sit on north country dealers lots all winter with minimal snow clearing. Snow can weigh up to ~60 lbs per cubic foot depending on the density, but it's usually a pretty evenly spread load. The bigger problem for occupied RV's might be melting and refreezing on the roof that could cause leak issues at A/C entry points and/or any place else the seals and caulking aren't solid. There's enough heat loss through the roof though, that it may not be an issue except in temperature extremes. We've been in temps down to -4 F for brief periods, but our two furnaces sure did suck down propane to keep us comfortably warm.

I think your snow amounts are way off. A quick search showed this.
Twin Falls, Idaho gets 10 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. Twin Falls averages 18 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.

I ran a peddle route in SW Idaho for 12 years and I never recall maybe more than a foot of snow on the ground at one time. Does get a tad drafty at times along with some cold but a 10? would be on the low end.

We are in Pocatello at our daughter's home...........at 4,200-ft, altitude..........Snow is usually not a problem at or below this altitude. It melts on sunny days. This year we stayed in town until early February before we left for Arizona. Full timing it with a Class-C pulling an enclosed trailer.

While I was still working, we left our Class A at our summer place in New Brunswick.  It was in a snow belt area, with 100 to 200 snowfall and temperatures below zero F not uncommon.  I would tighten the A/C seals each spring, and once I used eternabond tape on the joint between the rubber roof and the fiberglass front cap, the minor leaks were solved.  The biggest problem was clearing the roof for those years when we went south mid winter.

Ed

Idaho in winter... what fun!

We full time - when we are faced with potential snowfall we always face our MH so the the nose is pointing as much to the South as we can within our site, then we pull the MH forward about 800 miles.

Sorry... ;D  but thanks for raising an interesting subject!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom