rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Adding powered fans advise  (Read 322 times)

redcaddy51

• ---
Adding powered fans advise
« on: May 15, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »
The factory bathroom powered vent fan is toast, in my "new to me" 2005 cougar 27 EFS 5th wheel.
I'm pretty sure I can change out the powered fan I have, (would like recommendations on brand/type, please) but would like to investigate replacing the other 2 vents with a powered fan type, prior to resealing the roof and installing new vent covers.

How big a job is this?

Some tips on how do I find or run power?

Are there power wires already run at the factory vent locations?

All good to know BEFORE I start breaking stuff.

Thanks for the help

Paul
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:11:20 PM by redcaddy51 »
If it turns $$$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there. Keystone Cougar 27 EFS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Adding powered fans advise
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:10:09 PM »
The other locations do NOT currently have powered fans? If not, it's pure guesswork whether the RV manufacturer left wiring in place that could be used. If there are other models that have powered fans there, they may or may not use a common wire harness for them, and the assembly line guy may or may not have hooked u the wires or left them in a place you could find. The only way to learn is to open it up and poke around - and test for 12v power.

The roof openings are a standard size (14x14) and the flange on the roof is pretty much a standard design, so nothing mechanically tricky about a replacement. Getting a 12v power wire where there is none, however, is a major PITA.  More work than most would contemplate unless you have to tear the roof open anyway.
The Fantastic Vents are great, but so are the MaxxAir Maxxfans.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:14:14 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
I have Fantastic Fans in my coach, though would not hesitate to buy MaxxAir Maxxfans, both are good though there are some trade offs on design, amp draw, etc.  Here is a good write up on them https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8893-fantastic-fan-vs-maxxfan-comparison-including-amp-usage/ though note there is /was a lower level fantastic fan without the thermostat control, there are also various models of each some with remote controls, etc.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:52 AM »
Years ago I put in a $45 3 speed Heng's vortex fan which moves a lot of air. It will slam the bathroom door if you aren't careful. The advantage was I only had to remove the old small fan and motor and wire up the Heng's without modifying the roof vent. Installation time was 20 minutes. The only downside was on high speed the fan sucks the screen up into the blades and makes a lot of noise. I glued a 1/8" strip of metal to the screen to support it which fixed the noise problem.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
If there's a light near the fan opening you may be able to pull power from there, through the ceiling.  It may take drilling an access hole in the fan opening frame and if the light is controlled by a wall switch the fan will only have power when the light is on.