bonding polyethylene platstic to metal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi, i am wanting to make a planter out of my old satellite dish.  Since i will have to have some kind of border to hold in the dirt, i was considering using this stuff for the edging  around the dish. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polyethylene-Lawn-Edging-Black-4-In-x-20-Ft/46651349

Basically the idea is to either glue or screw (or both) the edging around the circumference of the dish then fill it with dirt and insert the plants. 

I have read that polyethylene cannot be glued, but im not sure if what they are referring to is the same grade as this edging stuff. 

Im not sure what satellite dishes are made of but i think its just some kind of pressed cheap medal thats primed and painted, although i guess it could be aluminum. Its an old hughesnet dish. 

I dont think normal liquid nails will work, anyone know what i might use to bond the two surfaces?    Maybe some really good double sided mounting tape like the clear gorilla two sided tape will work.

JB Weld (Original, not Plastic Bond) does a pretty good job of bonding plastic to metal, another way is to use cyanoacrylate adhesive, i.e. Super Glue.

https://tbbonding.com/glue-polyethylene/

In either case, roughen up the metal, then clean both surfaces. I'd use denatured alcohol that doesn't contain water.  Apply the glue and press them together.

If you use Super Glue you can get an accelerant that makes the glue bond instantly.  Or you can sprinkle some baking soda on the glue and it will do the same thing.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Super-Glue-Dry-Fast

West Systems, (not West Marine)  "G-flex epoxy" will do it.
It is the best on the market.

Jack L

Thanks for the tips, i really need to get me a hand held torch, seems more and more the things i want to do seems to make it easier if you use one. 

Just screw the plastic to the dish with self tapping screws then run a bead of caulk around the inside and let it dry a few days.

Utclmjmpr said:
Then you have all the ends of the screws sticking out. Tacky.>>>D

I?m assuming that the dish will be just sitting on the ground so you wouldn?t see them. You could also go with SS screws with nuts or pop rivets

Rene T said:
Just screw the plastic to the dish with self tapping screws then run a bead of caulk around the inside and let it dry a few days.

Rene,

He's going to get in and out like a NASCAR pit crew slapping that stuff on like a tire change at Darlington Motor Speedway Tomorrow.  I will 2nd his vote.  8)

I think the screw tips would be inside the curled edge of the dish, I think...?

You could always cut the excess screw tips off with the trusty Dremel with cutting blade on there. 

Just a couple of Zissses of the cutting wheel and those tips would be clean as a whistle.

Get the Stainless steel big flat top 1/2" screws about every 2" apart for that clean look, Just Like Silver Rhinestones, Black and Silver... 

Are You a Las Vegas Raider NFL fan?  It would be a perfect fit, yea?

;D / JD

Yes the sat has a curled edge so the screws would be inside of that and not seen other than the head of the screw against the black plastic.  I could also just fill that curled edge with some kind of grey silicone to hide the screws even more.

The plan is to set it up on 4 blocks square pattern (one level), fill the center area of the block open space in the middle with some concrete, then slip a short piece of rebar through the mounting plate of the sat and set the back end of the sat (with the rebar) into the concrete which will secure it from the wind.  It will be slightly tilted that way as well as off the ground which would look better.

Then cover the blocks up with some cedar pickets pieces that i have left over from another job.  Should look pretty nice when done.  I was originally going to do a desert scene, but changed my mind after thinking i dont want to have cactus anywhere near me.  So ill just put some annuals in there, then clean it out every season to keep it fresh. 

Do it.  Post a pic of your Masterpiece when done.  We can all use some Entertainment around here. 

I can see you reside in Texas, so it goes without saying that you are extremely intelligent and creative. 

I had to make sure I did not misspell intelligent.  ;D

JD
Proud Texan

Well i worked on this project today and here are some pics.  Here are a few notes, and lets see if anyone can spot my big goofup...  Ill give you a hint, the bricks...

So after going to the store 2x because i refuse to believe that my little 9x12x14inch deep hole could not be filled with one 60lb bag of concrete i got the backplate mounted.

I did not have to use the foam but i did another job and i didnt want to waste it so it dont hurt anything.

As you can see the lip on the dish goes perfectly with the lip on the plastic landscape border, just tuck it under and screw it.  I did not have to drill drain holes because it will be tipped up and the water will run out the bottom front of the dish.

Tomorrow i will have to fix my mistake, can anyone spot it!  If i had noticed it right away i could have fixed it but i didnt notice that i forgot something until about 40 min after the poor, it was too lake.

Its not the concrete or the wood frame either and its the correct orientation.  Can you see it now!

Attachments

• SANY0026 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0026 (Small).jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 18
  • SANY0027 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0027 (Small).jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 14
  • SANY0028 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0028 (Small).jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 14
  • SANY0029 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0029 (Small).jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SANY0030 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0030 (Small).jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0031 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0031 (Small).jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 16
  • SANY0032 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0032 (Small).jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0033 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0033 (Small).jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0035 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0035 (Small).jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SANY0039 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0039 (Small).jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 18
Ok, the mistake was that i forgot to put anchor nuts on the underside of the bracket to keep the bracket from falling down on the platform.  I thought about it on the way home from the store but i forgot.  I did a dry fit 5x before pouring and still didnt catch it, i even moved the bolts up and down in the concrete to be sure there was no air about them and the light still did not come on "how are you able to move the bolt up and down"  LOL  :eek:    The nuts and washers i had on there i used down inside the concrete to keep the bolts secured so those were on the ends of the bolts.

But its fixed now, i had some small size pvc and so i used my cutting tool to cut a slot in it and then used my copper tubing cutter to get exact cuts.  Those pieces are nice and snug in there on all 5 bolts... It will work...

After 24 hours (about 630pm tonight, ill put the dish back on there and fill it with dirt... 

Ill take a pic of the finished product.

Attachments

• SANY0042 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0042 (Small).jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0043 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0043 (Small).jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 14
And here it is mounted, just waiting for the silicone to dry.  I added a screen to the front so when the water flow out the front side it does not take the dirt with it, i spray painted the screen so it would not rust out.  I thought about glueing some fins on the dish to help hold the dirt in but i dont think i need them, the pressure on the dirt from bottom to top slant will keep it in there i believe, it should pack itself.

I planted some white flowers about the base, i will paint the concrete white tomorrow as it should be cured enough to paint.  And then just fill it up and plant away. 

I think it came out pretty good inspite of my boo boo..

The only thing i might do tomorrow is place a few extra screws on the bottom side of the plastic ring, just because that is where all the weight will be.

Attachments

• SANY0044 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0044 (Small).jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 14
  • SANY0045 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0045 (Small).jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SANY0046 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0046 (Small).jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SANY0047 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0047 (Small).jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 9
  • SANY0048 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0048 (Small).jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
And finally now all i have to do is wait for my popies and alyssum's to grow.

Attachments

• SANY0049 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0049 (Small).jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 7
djw2112 said:
Hi, i am wanting to make a planter out of my old satellite dish.  Since i will have to have some kind of border to hold in the dirt, i was considering using this stuff for the edging  around the dish. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polyethylene-Lawn-Edging-Black-4-In-x-20-Ft/46651349

Basically the idea is to either glue or screw (or both) the edging around the circumference of the dish then fill it with dirt and insert the plants. 

I have read that polyethylene cannot be glued, but im not sure if what they are referring to is the same grade as this edging stuff. 

Im not sure what satellite dishes are made of but i think its just some kind of pressed cheap medal thats primed and painted, although i guess it could be aluminum. Its an old hughesnet dish. 

I dont think normal liquid nails will work, anyone know what i might use to bond the two surfaces?    Maybe some really good double sided mounting tape like the clear gorilla two sided tape will work.
djw2112
https://www.escopro.com/rtv-739-dow-corning-739-plastic-adhesive.html?_vsrefdom=ppcgoogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw8pH3BRAXEiwA1pvMsQPN1LamMEGjN5Ck_0f60VrCOBdDOv1sfdkBgwpU6SXhI1ms-tQ3ixoCzzoQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom