Fifth wheel nose support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

Now that we own a fifth wheel, how may of you 5'ers use a tripod, steadyfast or lockarms  to stabilize the rv?  Not sure if I need to put this on "Our Wish List".  Thanks!

How big is the trailer? I suppose there is an added safety factor if the landing gear fails or the blocking spits out but imho there is a better chance of winning the lottery.

I installed the Steady Fast system and love it. We had the tripod and it?s a pain and it?s something else to store and heavy. I think if the landing gear failed, I wouldn?t want to rely on the tripod to holdup the front of the trailer. It?s only  a stabilizer.

Depending on the trailer i doubt all the landing gear will fail at the same time. I have a 6 point hydraulic system it has 3 separate manual override systems that each control 2 jacks so you can manually raise in case of a failure.
The 5th wheel pin stabilizer is a waste of effort in my opinion. I also have the wheel chocks but never use them on this unit, i did years ago on my bumper pull with manual stabilizers, never again lol

We found an aluminum tripod stabilizer on Craigslist.  I'm glad we didn't pay full price because the beneficial effects on our 40' unit are noticeable, but not miraculous.  Andersen jack blocks or similar may be just as effective.  Scissor jacks at the rear may be even more helpful.  "X-chocks" dampen some movement, too.
On our previous 32' unit we had arms like the steady-fast system, and found them marginally effective.
If you're going to be more stationary, and the movement bothers you enough, you may wish to take more steps to calm the wiggle.  If you're going to be traveling from place to place often, you may have to find a balance between how much wiggle you can tolerate and how much effort you're willing to spend to reduce the wiggle.

On my 38 ft. (6 wheel) Alfa it was useless. I scrapped it after the first year.

We used a pin stabilizer for awhile when we had 5W's, but found that the locking wheel chocks actually did a better job of stopping wiggle.  I would think that a 6-point hydraulic leveling system would do much the same.  After we began using the locking chocks, we soon sold the heavy & bulky pin stabilizer.

39 ft FW.  We use no stabilizers except for the factory rear stabilizer jacks.  Yes, the camper does rock a bit, but I call it relaxing.  I suggest doing nothing unless you find the movement excessive, disconcerting or annoying.  Save the money until you are sure you need the product.

Back
Top Bottom