Fifth wheel front leg pins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyL

I don't want to tempt fate here, but considering how much weight they hold, has anyone ever had them fail or needed to replace them?

My hydraulic front legs failed to retrack one time due to a burnt out relay does that count? Lol pain the butt retacting them maually let me tell you- wrong size relay from the factory the tech told me

I've seen motors fail to raise/lower them and screw threads strip, but haven't seen or heard of any catastrophic failures. Haven't seen any hydraulic jacks just collapse either, though it has probably happened somewhere.  IMO it's one of those problems that is conceivable but such low probability that it isn't worth losing sleep over.

I had one of the pins shear.  It was easy to replace.

If you're really worried about it carry some spares.

When I still had a single motor, one shear pin.  The single motor was simply not up to the task of raising the front of my fiver.  I converted to a dual motor setup and never looked back.

What shear pins are we talking about? Is it the one right off the motor? When the op started talking, I thought he was talking about the pins in the legs that you remove when you initially manually extend the legs then the pin gets put back in. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Yes Rene, I am talking about the pins actually on the legs that are used to extend them.

TonyL said:
Yes Rene, I am talking about the pins actually on the legs that are used to extend them.
That?s what I thought. Thanks for clarifying that. We were going off another tangent and I was getting confused which doesn?t take much.  I have never heard of those pins shearing. Some engineer here should be able to figure out what forces it would take to shear a pin in two places at the same time.

Actually a typical single motor landing gear setup has one shear pin.  It is the pin that connects the two halves of the cross over shaft.  Where the short srub shafts connect t the  gear box are not really shear pins, but drive pins

That's the trouble with staying in one place too long, you get to thinking stupid things. It was just that each pin is around 3/8" thick and the leg is actually supported in two places on the pin by about 1/8" thick steel (the boxing that holds the telescopic section. Refer bar cutters use a shearing action to cut the bar, so I was just pondering...??... ::)

No Jackie, just need more Rye and dry!!!!!!!!!

When I brought this NTM trailer home the first time, I noticed that both spring pins were rusted solid. I left the trailer on the truck and went to my local Camping world in search of new ones. They wanted $78.95 for a pair. Later that night I ordered a pair of 3/8ths pin, clamp on units, (exactly like what I had on the trailer, without the rust) chrome plated fer $23.50, free shipping. Changed 'em out, Easy, no worries.

If it makes you feel any better, a 3/8ths mild steel pin, in shear, will support roughly 3 times the load you could generate, dropping the pinbox off the receiver. some, 5ers, 3 axles and upwards of 6 K pin weight use 7/16 pins, and that's overkill.

As has been said before, Chill, it's no big deal.

redcaddy51 said:
When I brought this NTM trailer home the first time, I noticed that both spring pins were rusted solid. .

I think you misused the word "Spring Pin". These are spring pins:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7252617?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOWTlNLS6QIVmI3ICh2ZYQh_EAQYBSABEgI-x_D_BwE

They are really called Safety Pins:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curt-Manufacturing-5-16-Inch-Safety-Pin-3-Inch-Pin-Length-Packaged/792213599?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101002903&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-51320962143&wl5=9058138&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=136582778&wl11=online&wl12=792213599&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9TN4NLS6QIVlQiICR1NtQM9EAQYBSABEgI80PD_BwE

Say after me. I will not feed the troll, I will not feed the troll, I will not feed the troll...

Sorry, Paul in floriduh

Back
Top Bottom