Window crank failures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yonder

My DP (2015 Itasca Ellipse 42qd) has the small awning windows under a fixed window. There is no lock. They open and close by turning a small hand crank.

If you crank them closed too tightly, the gears in the box (maybe they're nylon or plastic) seem to strip out. Then the window just flops. I have two secured with duct tape now.

Seems like a very poor design. Am I the only one with this problem? If not, would love to hear how others have coped. Sure, I guess I can buy new cranks but if I don't find a workaround I might as well buy them by the dozen.

The down side I found was that you have to remove the window on most of them to replace the crank.
First one I tried to fix, I dropped the window. A rather expensive boo-boo.

If I am reading you correctly  it sounds like your teeth are stripped inside the crank handle.. If so i have used five minute epoxy inside the crank handles when the teeth sheers to the point it no longer works, of course if the gears inside break this does not work. But not clear which ones you are talking about

Boat Addict said:
If I am reading you correctly  it sounds like your teeth are stripped inside the crank handle.. If so i have used five minute epoxy inside the crank handles when the teeth sheers to the point it no longer works, of course if the gears inside break this does not work. But not clear which ones you are talking about

Boat, he/she said "the gears in the box (maybe they're nylon or plastic) seem to strip out"

On the failures I've had, the pot metal box wears until the shaft moves enough so the gears no longer mesh.

Back
Top Bottom