Towing a car behind a Minnie Winnie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joffers

I'm after anyone's thoughts and advice about towing a small car behind a Minnie Winnie (22ft E350 Ford). What size car is possible and any tips and tricks?

The towing capacity for a 22ft 2018 model is listed online as 7,500 lb. Assuming yours is the same ... If you use a dolly,  that weight would include both the weight of the car and the dolly, limiting your choices a bit. If you flat tow,  it appears you could tow almost any car or suv you want to ... assuming it is flat towable.  Of course,  the lighter the better for acceleration & fuel mileage purposes. 

Appreciate that. Mine is a 2004....is there a link you have there. I think I have this which mentions 5000. https://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator2007/07ChaletC.pdf

According to the 2004 Minnie brochure, it has a 5000 lb tow hitch regardless of the chassis max tow rating.  The difference between the GVWR and GCWR shows the chassis could handle towing up to 7800 lbs, but Winnebago didn't equip it for that much.  Realistically, I'd try to stay as far under 5000 as I could, with 4000 or less as my target.  That should have minimal effect of fuel economy, acceleration and braking.  You will notice the extra weight on hills, but not much at all on the flats.

Download and view the brochure here:  https://winnebago.com/brochure-archive?year=2004&model=Minnie

Since you are on an E350 chassis the 7500 pound tow limit sounds about right. My F250 truck (long box extended cab) can tow about that on the bumper* and I think 10K on a fifth wheel. Have a look at your hitch, there might be a plate on it with your limits. Mine is by Valley and there's a sticker with my tow limits.

*I have towed about 7500 pounds bumper pull with my truck and I wouldn't want to do that very often even though the trailer has brakes on both axles. You would be smart to keep your tow weight as light as practical.

I have a Minnie Winnie 22R with an E350 5.4L. Best to have your RV weighed the way you usually have it equipped so you can calculate the real tow number. The hitch weight is normally way above what is safe or recommended. A tow dolly can add 1000 pounds. I flat tow a Ford Fiesta with the dual clutch which is 2800 pounds and I'm pretty much at maximum weight.

Gary RV_Wizard, Thank you Gary, I've been looking for a 400 pound tow dolly, can you send me the link?

U-Haul states 750 pounds empty. I assume that's without a spare tire, safety chains or accessories. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Tow-Dolly-Rental/TD/

Gary, I want to purchase that 400 pound dolly. Can you post the link?

Thanks John. I figured everyone would want to know where to get a 400 pound dolly. I currently flat tow and the tow plate, tow bar, brake system, lights and cables is about that.

Is this the dolly?

https://cartowdolly.com/tow-car-dollies/#:~:text=At%20330%2D380%20lbs.%2C,tow%20up%20to%204%2C985%20lbs.

That's an example - I did not have any specific one in mind.  I've seen old or even home made dollies that would run as little as 300 or so lbs. Hardly more than an axle with a ball coupler welded on.    Most of the current (newest) crop of well-equipped dollies probably run 600 and up. The super-nice Kar Kaddy SS runs 615 with brakes. Add a spare tire and you are at 700, with a winch and other accessory goodies yet to come.

Joffers said:
I'm after anyone's thoughts and advice about towing a small car behind a Minnie Winnie (22ft E350 Ford). What size car is possible and any tips and tricks?

I got rid of my tow dolly like a bad habit.  If you are at point zero of moving forward find a old Honda CRV Pre 2014 and tow bar.

If you choose to go dolly.  Buy a $5 Ty-vex Suit, Tire nets that cradle both sides of the tire for your specific size 19" etc tires.  Amazon has a nice selection and seem pretty generic the way they attach to the dolly. Carry a square of cardboard for those rainy days and get ready to "embrace the suck" of wallering around somewhat on the ground, squatting, stooping. 

It is not bad, but not fun. Takes more time.  If you ever get boxed in and cant turn, then welcome to your Nightmare.

4 Down Tow..Ahhh much sweeter! They have the Transmission Towing guides.  Find something in your wheelhouse on Auto Trader or the like.  I found a Jeep came with a Tow Plate and M&G Original Brake system installed from Private owner.  SCORE! 

Go 4 Down tow.  If you are young and you don't mind jockeying around get the dolly.  Where you going to store the dolly, BTW? 4 Down tow you have a spare onboard with most vehicles too.

Food For thought.

John

Back
Top Bottom