rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Rookie Mistakes - Fridge Issues  (Read 653 times)

RVBungler

Rookie Mistakes - Fridge Issues
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »
Hello!
We recently purchased a 2016 Itasca Navion. When weíre driving and tap in to the battery, the fridge works beautifully. However, when we switch to the propane setting or electrical, it does not seem to work. Iím quite certain itís a user error, not a fridge error! When we select propane, we press down on the LP switch. Should we be something else? We have not attempted the electrical at an RV park yet, only off of residential, so Iím wondering if there wasnít enough amps to support. Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

donn

• ---
Re: Rookie Mistakes - Fridge Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
Make and model?
Dpmetic refers usually have a auto/electric/gas  switch.  All RV refers need 12VDC to work for control voltage.

RVBungler

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
The fridge is a Norcold DE-0061/EV-0061

cavie

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »
Hello!
We recently purchased a 2016 Itasca Navion. When weíre driving and tap in to the battery, the fridge works beautifully. However, when we switch to the propane setting or electrical, it does not seem to work. Iím quite certain itís a user error, not a fridge error! When we select propane, we press down on the LP switch. Should we be something else? We have not attempted the electrical at an RV park yet, only off of residential, so Iím wondering if there wasnít enough amps to support. Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

Yours is a 2/way fridge. Gas and Electric. 12 volts is for control circuit and fans/lights only.  Does not work off the Battery. For electric you need to be on AUTO. When you plug in at home it will auto hook to AC. For gas you must push the button to gas on. turn auto off.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:34:04 PM by cavie »
Retired Licensed Master Electrician/Electric inspector
All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »
i don't know your rig or what type of fridge you have
a  random thought
when my LP tank has been shut off at the tank, I have to purge the line before starting the fridge, otherwise it errors out.
the gas flow is so slow it takes so long the thing gives up trying.
I light a stove burner.  Since it's right next to the fridge that primes the line to that point.  Just burn it long enought to so I know it has gas.  Then I start the fridge
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

RVBungler

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
Thank you! Super helpful tips. I'll give them a try

skydivemark

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »
i don't know your rig or what type of fridge you have
a  random thought
when my LP tank has been shut off at the tank, I have to purge the line before starting the fridge, otherwise it errors out.
the gas flow is so slow it takes so long the thing gives up trying.
I light a stove burner.  Since it's right next to the fridge that primes the line to that point.  Just burn it long enought to so I know it has gas.  Then I start the fridge

I do the same thing. Doesn't seem like it needs to be parked very long (2-3 weeks or so) before purging is needed .
 Hope this isn't too elementary but the propane tank isn't empty right? And is turned on?
I've never had it happen but heard - sometimes - if the valve is opened too quickly it might trip a safety valve because it thinks there's a leak. If all else fails turn off the propane at the tank, leave it off a little while (I would start with 10-20 minutes) then slowly/gently turn it back on.
2015 Thor Four Winds 31L
Clermont, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »
Well, color me confused, but the Op Manual for the DE-0061 / EV-0061 says it has no LP and operates on AC or DC voltage only. On page 7 the Op Manual says:

DE /EV refrigerators operate on either AC and DC voltage or DC voltage only.  If both AC and  DC power sources are connected to the refrigerator, it operates on AC voltage. If AC power becomes unavailable, such as when you disconnect shoreline power, the refrigerator operates on DC power.
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/norcold-de-0061-ev-0061-ac-dc-ev-refrigerator-owners-manual.pdf

Where is this LP switch you are pressing? Might it be the shut-off for the main LP supply tank? If so, it's probably just making LP available to the appliances that can utilize it, e.g. stove, furnace, and maybe water heater.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:39:40 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

cavie

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Well, color me confused, but the Op Manual for the DE-0061 / EV-0061 says it has no LP and operates on AC or DC voltage only. On page 7 the Op Manual says:
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/norcold-de-0061-ev-0061-ac-dc-ev-refrigerator-owners-manual.pdf

Where is this LP switch you are pressing? Might it be the shut-off for the main LP supply tank? If so, it's probably just making LP available to the appliances that can utilize it, e.g. stove, furnace, and maybe water heater.

Yep,my bad. I read 2 way and that usually refers to gas/AC.
Retired Licensed Master Electrician/Electric inspector
All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.