Tow Hitch in Southern CA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian w. Hall

Hi, I'm looking to get my Jeep Wrangler towed behind my 96 Monaco Dynasty. Does anyone know of a place in Southern CA. that can do it? Camping World is overpriced so is it something a small shop can do if I order the parts? Thanks.

Brian

Brian,

Are you looking for a purpose-built tow bar for the rear of the coach and a base plate that attaches to the front of the Jeep? Or are you looking for a simple A-frame tow bar and some brackets bolted or welded to the frame of the Jeep? If the latter, almost any hitch shop would fix you up. They could also install the base plate for the first type I mentioned. If you're currently in the area, you could check the yellow pages.

Brian w.  Hall said:
Hi, I'm looking to get my Jeep Wrangler towed behind my 96 Monaco Dynasty. Does anyone know of a place in Southern CA. that can do it? Camping World is overpriced so is it something a small shop can do if I order the parts? Thanks.

Brian

See what Myers RV in Torrance at 310-305-8214 will price the job at.

Have you gone to the website for Roadmast, BluOx, or Demco to see what the baseplate and hitch will cost.  Souldn't be too hard to install a baseplate on the Wrangler.

Good point Ron and, as you say, not difficult to do. For Brian's benefit here's an illustrated file in our library that shows how I installed the Roadmaster base plate on our Suburban.

This was much easier than changing the low beam bulbs on my car!

Tom said:
Good point Ron and, as you say, not difficult to do. For Brian's benefit here's an illustrated file in our library that shows how I installed the Roadmaster base plate on our Suburban.

This was much easier than changing the low beam bulbs on my car!

But your bulbs on your car were designed with helping dealers make money in mind. ;D :mad: ;D

I've installed base plates on several vehicles myself. And most any hitch shop can do it, possibly for less than CW (though at California labor rates I'm a bit skeptical).  It does not seem as though a Wrangler can be too difficult - not a lot of front fascia to work around. Likewise fairly easy access for lights and such.

Camping World currently has a sale on several tow bar packages through September 5th.

What year jeep wrangler is it? That would make a difference, but Jeeps are easy. Wranglers are pretty easy for the older body style 03-06, but the new jeep wranglers are a little harder. Whats needed on the older one is drill 4 holes, and use some wire nuts. A day project if you are untrained. RISK? some extra holes on the passenger side thats about all. If its a 2007 I wouldnt try it myself prolly..... remove alot of stuff, alignment is kinda tricky, but a shop shouldnt charge you too much.

I would just use magnetic towlights for cheap, but all the wires you would need to use diodes on are in the drivers side cargo area, and feed thru a large rubber grommet. The bulb and socket kit is what I use on jeeps, but it is a pain in the butt to install on the 2003-2006 jeeps.

On 2003-2006 Jeeps
A cheap solution is to also try a universal towbar bracket kit (can order seperate from the whole towbar kit $45 or so) some adapter pieces from blue ox or roadmaster and a high grade towbar aventaII or whatever. If you only do small light towing this setup is "ok" Just drill 4 holes on the bumper where its bolts to the frame. You get what you pay for in towing however!

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom