Are we dinosaurs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I was reading something on either a forum or a web site yesterday that gave me a chuckle. The guy was writing about his (apparent) rock/pop idol. He began by saying "a long time ago in 1974 he was born ..... ". All my kids were born before that. How come I don't feel anywhere near as old as this might suggest?

Should I start feeling and acting old?

Tom said:
Should I start feeling and acting old?

Old Coot.  That allows you certain privileges.  You are allowed, nay expected, to grouse constantly about modern music, architecture, kid's manners, and young punk cops --  young cops hell, young punk admirals and generals.  You can wear suspenders without exciting worry about them becoming fashionable again.... like happened in the 60s.  You are allowed to sometimes lose track of why you came into the room.    You get treated to being considered practically a pioneer because you can remember seeing Eisenhower, Macmillan, a ingenue Clint Eastwood in "Rawhide", remember black and white TV, or drove a Studebaker.    You get to go to your 50th high school reunion and find your old HS has become a national historical monument. 

Wait a minute, my first car was a '52 Studebaker.  I didn't see Eisenhower, but I did see Gen. MacArthur in a parade in West Allis, WI, when I was young.

Ned said:
Wait a minute, my first car was a '52 Studebaker.  I didn't see Eisenhower, but I did see Gen. MacArthur in a parade in West Allis, WI, when I was young.

Mine was a 1925 Flint Roadster.  It had a tubular frame, rumble seat and a gravity fed carburetor.

Gee my first car was a 28 Model A  coupe with rumble seat.  Best most dependable Ford I ever had.  But then the Model A was antique before I got it.  Had a 53 Studebaker once that knocked so bad you could hear it coming blocks away which I fixed by wrapping the rod bearings with rawhide.

My first car was a two-tone brown and tan '39 Studebaker Champion with overdrive.  I don't remember the mileage because gas was only 21 cents a gallon and we didn't care about mpg back then.  I would dearly love to still have that one.  lou

And I can remember pulling into a gas station and only buying 25 cents worth of gas and they pumped it. ;D

I can remember walking into a gas station cause I"d run out, Borrowing their gas can (did not even need to leave a deposit) walking back to my car, Putting in the gas, driving to the station returning the can filling up the rest of the way.

They gave away a gift (Bowl) with every $3.00 fill up..... I did not qualify  (They gave it to me anyway)

Well my first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon that my Dad gave me in 1968. 
I guess that means I'm not an old Coot like the rest of you guys.  :p

Or maybe I'm a young Coot...  ???

Do they have young Coots or are they born old.  ;D

Wait just a dog-gone minute. I graduated from high school in 1971, got married in 1973. So that young whipper snapper could be mine (ew!).

Actually, I run into this all the time with people calling me about Coca-Cola collectibles that they have that just HAVE to be OLD because, for gosh sakes, they were made in the 1970s. Excuse me, I was made in the 1950s and I am NOT old.

Wendy

OnaQwest said:
My first car was a two-tone brown and tan '39 Studebaker Champion with overdrive.  I don't remember the mileage because gas was only 21 cents a gallon and we didn't care about mpg back then.  I would dearly love to still have that one.  lou

Those Studebakers must have been really cheap, since so many of us had them for "first cars." Mine was a '55, flamingo and charcoal. Can' find a photo with that color combo but here's what it looked like:

Attachments

• 1955%20STUDEBAKER%20Commander%20Coupe.jpg
    1955%20STUDEBAKER%20Commander%20Coupe.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 33
Me and my first car, a 57 Ford Fairlane with Mercury Crusier fender skirts

Attachments

• 57 Ford.jpg
    57 Ford.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 35
Gee, I'm 71 and I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about--coots, be they old or young; Model As; tubular frames.

Where did I go wrong?

BTW, my first car was in 1960 and it was an Austin Anglia.

Ciao,

Doug

Might as well chime in too.

My first one in 1952 was a '39 Willys 2-door sedan. Paid 100 for it in cold cash. Had to work on it every week to keep it running.

Happy memories,

carson, FL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom