Are we dinosaurs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Bill, it's been a long time since I tried or succeeded in fixing something under the hood. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to change the headlight bulbs on my car  :(

Cars today are like so many other things, "No user serviceable parts inside".  It won't be long and you'll void the warranty by opening the hood.

Do remember buying Heath Kits and such from places like Radio Shack  and building your own dwell meter? Do they even use timing lights anymore?

Karl said:
Heck no. Newer cars don't even have a distributor. A Hall effect sensor determines when a plug should fire, sends the info to a computer that determines what advance or retard is necessary, and then zaps a cylinders' own spark coil.

Oh jeez....  <mumble, mumble>

Karl said:
Heck no. Newer cars don't even have a distributor. A Hall effect sensor determines when a plug should fire, sends the info to a computer that determines what advance or retard is necessary, and then zaps a cylinders' own spark coil.

If anything goes belly up one would need a lot of special equipment just to identify the problem in many cases.

The newer cars have computers every bit as sophisticated as the ones on our diesel engines.  If I ever do get a trouble code, I can read the actual codes out with the ScanGauge and look them up in a table.

Ned said:
The newer cars have computers every bit as sophisticated as the ones on our diesel engines.  If I ever do get a trouble code, I can read the actual codes out with the ScanGauge and look them up in a table.

On many car makes one can read the codes right on the disital mileage indicator or such.  Jeep is one of them.

I can read trouble codes on our Cat through the cruise control, but it's a very limited set of general fault codes.  The VMSpc reads the detailed codes from the ECM.  However, we've used the flash codes several times and they were sufficient to let Cat know what the problem was.  Similar with the ScanGauge, I have a list of 26 pages of different fault codes available from the computer just on our GMC that can be displayed.

I know someone else on the forum who keeps his cars and lots of other stuff forever.

LOL Robert, glad you recognized yourself. But the last dinghy looked like it was on its last legs 10 years ago. You didn't even throw the motor away - you gave it to our contractor for his work boat.

My first car was a 1939 pontiac chieftain  (remember the indianhead on the hood lit up with the headlights.  How cool was that)?

Speaking of being an old coot, does it mean anything, that after ordering in a resturant, they ask you for payment before the order is placed?????

I've been asked a number of times over the last few years if I was old enough to qualify for a senior discount; I always said I wasn't and insisted on paying full price. This week I actually took pleasure in requesting senior discounts; $2 off a hair cut and 10% off at our local Ace Hardware store. What's next, the senior menu at restaurants?

Now if only they gave a senior discount at the gas pump  :(

Tom said:
What's next, the senior menu at restaurants?

Now if only they gave a senior discount at the gas pump  :(

I like the senior menu at at lot of restaurants. And you only have to be 55 to order off the senior menu at Denny's.

Shame on those who asked you if you qualify for the senior discount. They're not supposed to ask, they're just supposed to give it to you if you ask for it.

Wendy

Wendy, are you telling me I've been paying too much to eat at Denny's for several years?

Take a look at the senior menu on the back of the menu next time you're there. Cheaper than the regular menu and you get a salad. Of course, the portion sizes are smaller but us old folks don't need as much to eat as the younguns :)

Wendy

I can't recall the last time we ate at Denny's. Nothing against Denny's, we rarely eat out.

Back
Top Bottom