Red River near Selkirk in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newt & Jan

A friend just returned from his annual trip across the border and to a week on the Red River.  Usually the main target is catfish with sturgeon if the kitties aren't playing nice.

Apparently this year they were.  Frogs (caught by the river) were the bait and they caught over 70 channel cats that week with over 50 of them running to over 20 lbs.  All Catch and Release up there unless you are a member of a local indian tribe so the population stays healthy and ready to play.

I'm booked up this year with UK anglers visiting to the point that I will be out of vacation time but next year I think I'm headed north to MN and another Red River trip with Jerry - pictured holding one of his week's catch.

Attachments

• catfish.jpg
    catfish.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 34
Yup.  Just wish I'd been there with him this year.  Next year I will be unless things go all pear shaped somehow.

Those things are fun.  Usually at least a 2-3 mph current to help them out and lots of the larger ones come in to the boat easily until they see it.  Then it's like they finally realized something ain't right and the take off.  Getting them in the second time is way more effort.

I found out really quick the first time I reached in too deep to unhook one that a big channel can crush rocks with those jaws.  Thought my thumb was a gonner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom