Bare feet on wet fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Anyone who attempts to board our boat with bare feet gets to listen to this (true) story and they usually put deck shoes on in a hurry.

It was circa 1980 and we had an overseas visitor (let's call him Alan) and had gone to Lake Camanche with two other couples. Each couple drove a motorhome and were towing their respective boats. We launched the boats and camped lakeside.

One of the guys (let's call him Tim), who weighed 280 lbs, had been drinking beer all day and, in the evening, decided he wanted to go out on the lake. His wife looked at me and said "you've not had a drink all day, will you take Tim out?" So, with Tim and Alan aboard, we headed out onto the lake. Roughly in the center of the lake, Tim asked to stop the boat because he wanted to go in the water. After I insisted, against his protestations, that he wear a PFD (aka life vest), Tim hopped up on the gunnels (aka gunwales) and proceeded to slip overboard.

The gunnels on this particular boat were curved and had no non-skid and, since we'd been running, they were wet. So Tim, with bare feet, had slipped off the gunnels and made a premature entry into the water. After what seemed like an eternity Alan, a non-boater, said "He's not coming up!". I replied "He's wearing a life vest, so he'll come up sooner or later".

When Tim finally surfaced he was cussing and complaining. Getting this 280 lbs guy back in the boat was a challenge, but we finally got him on board. Tim started complaining that "This toe hurts" and I replied "Don't worry about that toe, the one next to it is hanging off".

When Tim had slipped off the gunnel, his toes got stuck behind a cleat while 280 lbs kept going forward into the water. After returning to shore, we made an unexpected visit to the hospital.

Deck shoes perform several functions, one of which is to prevent slipping on wet (or dry) fiberglass. They're also good for protecting your toes from cleats and other on-board obstacles. Next time you're tempted to go barefooted on board, please remember this (true) story. Also, don't forget to wear a PFD; Unexpected entry into the water can be fatal.

After a few similar mishaps I learned to wear deck shoes when on my boat. Pair I have now are the best ones I've ever had, they are Airwalks.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Airwalk or parent company.\

Woody

wendycoke said:
Does this mean wear deck shoes or don't drink beer while boating??

Yes, although in this case, a sober person could have had the same accident.

FWIW nobody gets behind the helm of any of our boats after consuming any alcohol.

Tom said:
Yes, although in this case, a sober person could have had the same accident.

That is true but each drink raises the risk. ;D
FWIW nobody gets behind the helm of any of our boats after consuming any alcohol.

Excellent policy.  When I was flying I sometimes took charters but I would not allow any alcoholic beverages or smoking on board.

There is an old saying "Alcohol and Gas Don't mix" 

Actually they mix quite well,  It's called E-xx, "De-Icer" "Heet" and Dry-Gas (or Dri-Gas) among other things.

But the only place they should mix is IN THE FUEL TANK

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned the alcohol because these comments are detracting from the intent of the story. For sure, alcohol and driving don't go together. But this guy wasn't driving, I was, and I hadn't consumed any alcohol.

Most of the folks I tell this story to haven't consumed any alcohol, but I know the same thing could happen to them. The moral of the story is that bare feet will slip on fiberglass, especially if the fiberglass is wet. I wouldn't want folks left with the false impression that, if they're sober, it won't happen to them.

The same dangers exist in showers or tubs that do not have some type of non skid on the surface.  Just like wet firerglass the surface can be very slick and dangerous.  On the boat their is much more fiberglass and a very high potential for it to be wet and slick.

Right on both counts Ron. Our current boat has a lot of non-skid (although I'd say not enough). But the non-skid stops almost an inch from the edge of the steps to the fly bridge and the same thing (but worse) on the gunnels. First time we were out on this boat I slipped down the steps from the bridge, almost as soon as we'd docked, landing unceremoniously in the cockpit.

Woody,

I hadn't heard of Airwalks until reading your message. I looked at their product line on their web site and it appears they sell mainly tennis style shoes and flip flops, but I don't wear either of those styles. I'll check them out next time I see them at a store though.

Shoes are another one of those personal things. I have a high instep and have to buy wide fitting shoes. I also have to try them on in the store, unless I'm buying the same brand, style and size as before. Every time my wife buys me shoes she thinks I'll like, I end up taking them back to the store.

I don't find Sperry shoes very comfortable, but have worn a lot of Bass shoes. They make a range of leather shoes with "Sperry type soles" in various widths and some are smart enough to be called street shoes. Used to wear them all the time with business suits and nobody knew I was wearing "boat shoes". Of course, there are lots of other brands out there.

Ron said:
I bet that was a learning experience or have you done it more than once.

It sure was a learning experience Ron, but it happened again a few years later on a friend's boat, although I was wearing shoes. He had special-ordered less non-skid on his boat, meaning less grit, but the manufacturer also stopped the non-skid further from the edges of the steps. IIRC my shoes were well worn, meaning that the non-slip soles weren't so non-slip. It sure caught me by surprise and I suspect I ended up throwing those shoes away.

It hurt a lot both times  :( and I'm not sure it didn't leave with a painful reminder.

I'm guessing that walking on the motorhome roof in bare feet would also not be a good idea?

Wendy

Tom said:
Woody,

I hadn't heard of Airwalks until reading your message. I looked at their product line on their web site and it appears they sell mainly tennis style shoes and flip flops, but I don't wear either of those styles. I'll check them out next time I see them at a store though.

Shoes are another one of those personal things. I have a high instep and have to buy wide fitting shoes. I also have to try them on in the store, unless I'm buying the same brand, style and size as before. Every time my wife buys me shoes she thinks I'll like, I end up taking them back to the store.

I don't find Sperry shoes very comfortable, but have worn a lot of Bass shoes. They make a range of leather shoes with "Sperry type soles" in various widths and some are smart enough to be called street shoes. Used to wear them all the time with business suits and nobody knew I was wearing "boat shoes". Of course, there are lots of other brands out there.

According to my youngest son (grade school teacher) Airwalks are the preferred tennis shoe of skateboarders, although I didn't find this out til after I had bought them.
:D

Woody

wendycoke said:
I'm guessing that walking on the motorhome roof in bare feet would also not be a good idea?

Wendy

Up until this year I cleaned my motorhome roof each spring myself. It sits under some maple trees when home and really gets grungy. When that rubber roof is wet, and especially when there is soap on it too, it can be slippery as ice. I decided this year that I am getting too old to risk a fall so I got my youngest son to do it for me.

Woody

wendycoke said:

That's for sure Wendy, as is walking up there when it's wet even with shoes on. Our coach roof has two narrow "walkways" that have a diamond plate style pattern intended to provide some traction. But that's with a capital S in some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom