Bare feet on wet fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woody said:
...Airwalks are the preferred tennis shoe of skateboarders...

Yep, that's what I saw on their web site. Actually, my prior reply originally said something like "Maybe it's because I'm not into skateboarding that I hadn't heard of them", but decided to edit it out in case it came across in an unintended manner.

Ron said:
Could that have contributed to the back problems?

Since, in both cases, I essentially slid down until stopped by the cockpit floor, I think it contributed more to knee problems. I recall I already had a problem with one knee prior to the first slip and it really exacerbated that.

Tom said:
Since, in both cases, I essentially slid down until stopped by the cockpit floor, I think it contributed more to knee problems. I recall I already had a problem with one knee prior to the first slip and it really exacerbated that.

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.

Thanks Ron. I was sorry to feel it  :(  Both instances were over 5 years ago and I subsequently had surgery on one knee. One of these days I'm going to get the other one fixed and maybe then I'll quit complaining about it.

I continue to repeat my "bare feet on wet fiberglass" story every time I see someone attempt to board our boat without deck shoes. If they ignore the message, they get shouted at, but I never fail to be amazed at the number of folks who say "I have better grip with bare feet".

This weekend another individual got the message, the hard way. It was after dark and I was in the salon and online when I heard a loud bang on fiberglass. It was so loud that I was convinced that a small boat had run into our stern. I went outside and saw/heard my neighbor looking down towards the water and screaming her husband's name. My first thought was that he had gone overboard and I started looking for signs of him surfacing around the boat. I then noticed a dark shadow in one corner of our swim platform and realized it was my neighbor. He was unconscious, but coming to and bleeding quite a bit.

Fortunately, we have several nurses, physicians and paramedics in our boat club and, leaving the injured party with some folks, I went for help. Our club also carries an extensive first aid kit, which includes a defibrillator, when we raft out or tie up at a dock. We had two nurses, a doctor and a paramedic on scene in short order.

My neighbor had decided to step across adjacent swim platforms with bare feet. He didn't realize the platforms were wet due to adjacent boats having their generators running, and he stepped onto the very slippery gelcoat edge of our platform. As he said later, he had no time to react and protect himself from the fall. Our platform has a cradle on which we normally store the dinghy and he hit one of the arms of the cradle as he went down hard. Fortunately, his eyes missed injury, although not by much.

He's now a convert and says he won't go barefooted again.

It was a big ouch Ron. He ended up in the ER and lost at least one day of work. You can lead a horse to water, but ....

Thats why its a good idea to avoid alcohol when boating. Drinking and boating don't mix.

buckle823 said:
Drinking and boating don't mix.

Hey, that's my line!

Bare feet and wet fiberglass are an accident waiting to happen, with or without alcohol.

Barefoot of Fiberglass is not only dumb it;s stupid, even I won't do that.

I think the biggest problem was the guy was drinking alcohol. If he were sober, he most likely would have been able to maintain his balance.

Alcohol may have been a contributor in the first story I related, although I've seen sober folks slip off wet gunnels of the same boat. I can't speak for the guy in my last story; I was too busy getting medical help to smell his breath. The times my wife and I have slipped on wet gel coat (different boats), we had not consumed any alcohol, so you shouldn't make assumptions. Thinking you can't slip on wet gel coat because you haven't been drinking would IMO be an error in judgement.

Wet fiberglass/gel coat aside, deck shoes also do a decent job of protecting toes from all kinds of protrusions and obstacles on board. Had the first guy worn shoes, even the "water sports" kind, his toes would not have gone behind the cleat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom