Weight Distribution Hitch for Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SantaCruzin

Hey all!

I recently purchased a 1997 Jamboree Searcher 24ft. with the 460. It lists a towing capacity of 3500 lbs and we plan to use that regularly between our small boat or motorcycle trailers. I was looking at the hitch the other day and it mentioned that it "is designed to be used with a Weight Distribution Hitch." I used one of these on my Toy Hauler I had before the RV so I am familiar with them, but I'm not exactly sure how it would work on my other trailers.

The motorcycle trailer weighs maybe 2,000 lbs fully loaded and the boat and trailer are maybe 3,000 lbs. The boat trailer has a long, single-width narrow tongue at the front and the motorcycle trailer is a V-nose enclosed trailer, neither of which seem to easily allow for the attachment of brackets for the distribution hitch. So, 3 questions:

1. How necessary is a Distribution Hitch on these?
2. If necessary, any suggestions/experience on Distribution hitches for these types of trailers? Ideally something that won't break the bank anymore than the RV purchase did.
3. Are there any other modifications you'd recommend for towing? I've heard mention of sway bars, air suspension, etc.?

Look at the hitch receiver, it will list a vertical carrying weight usually around 10 percent of the tow rating.  If your trailers don't have more  tongue weight than the hitch can carry, an equalizing hitch isn't necessary.

Thank you Lou! The receiver lists a max towing of 3500 lbs and a tongue weight of 250 lbs. Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure either trailer, but I would imagine they are somewhere close to that range...Maybe I'll see if I can steal my wife's bathroom scale :)

You want a MINIMUM of 10%  of the trailer weight as tongue wt.  It will reduce sway and improve handling characteristics.  Bathroom scales work well - up to their capacity.  If you need more capacity, here are other ways to use the scales for heavier weights.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

I was able to check our boat and the tongue weight is about 200 lbs, so it's under the tongue weight limit listed on the hitch of 250 lbs.

I am going to try to do a quick test this week to see how it goes and next weekend we are planning our maiden voyage of towing the boat out to a lake for camping.

In general, are there modifications I should investigate to make towing easier/safer? I have heard mention of helper springs, air bags, and sway control bars but don't know much about them.

Wanted to bump up my more recent question: It sounds like the distribution hitch is unnecessary but are there any modifications I should investigate to make towing easier and (more importantly) safer?

Towing a 3,000 lb boat and 2,000 lb enclosed motorcycle trailer, neither of which have trailer brakes but both are under the tongue weight limit and towing limit.

I don't know how far these destinations are, but I use to have a 23' Class C with a Chevy 400, I pulled my 21' Bayliner, probably 3000#.  It did not like it, I always felt I was putting a lot on the transmission, so I decided to have my wife just pull the boat with the YukonXL to the campground / lake that was only 100 miles away, that way we had a ride at the campground as well.  I think your Class C will do either, will not like pulling the boat out on the ramp, and will be extra hard on the transmission.  Just take it easy  :)). 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom