Pilots lights while on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayArr

This seems like a simple question but I can't seem to find an answer. I would have thought this would be in the manual but I have the factory manual for the trailer and it's not in there.

Do I have to turn off all the propane appliances (hot water, stove, fridge, furnace) when I'm on the road?

I wonder if traveling at highway speed will blow out the pilot lights or if they'll stay lit.

We are planning a road trip where we will be overnighting and then moving on. Should I shut it all down every morning and relight it all every night?

JayArr said:
This seems like a simple question but I can't seem to find an answer. I would have thought this would be in the manual but I have the factory manual for the trailer and it's not in there.

Do I have to turn off all the propane appliances (hot water, stove, fridge, furnace) when I'm on the road?

I wonder if traveling at highway speed will blow out the pilot lights or if they'll stay lit.

We are planning a road trip where we will be overnighting and then moving on. Should I shut it all down every morning and relight it all every night?

The only thing on you list with a pilot light is the stove. That you turn off while traveling. The others have 12 volt electronic igniters. Lighting of the gas is automatic. Do You tube search on each one. WH requires you to turn on a switch. Fridge requires you to turn it on and place in AUTO. Set the t-state to heat and the furnice will start by it'self. The fridge you can run while you are traveling. Turn the WH off.

I run with my refer on, everything else off.  If you have some older RV with pilot lights, I would shut those appliances off.  Most newer 2000+ stuff has auto ignite stuff, no pilot lights (except maybe some ovens)

Some older Water heaters have pilots but .. as far as I know they all have safeties.

Like the water heater in my house and like the oven in the RV (the only thing in my RV like this)

You have to turn the control knob to PILOT and push something. Either the knob or a button next to it. And hold that while you light the pilot and for a FULL minute after (usually) to allow a thermonuclear to heat up  The thermocouple generates enough your choice of voltage or current to power a latch magnet in the control valve. if the (You can use either voltage or current because the magnet (in a DC system) is effectively a resistor so I-E/R (Current = Voltage divided by Resistance) about 0.480 volts.

If the pilot blows out do to road wind. the  magnet is no longer powered. the latch is lost and the valve closes.

I've never seen a water hater with a non-safety pilot

I have seen residential gas ranges with non-safety pilots  but never a water heater. Residential or RV

Thanks all, that sounds good, the fridge was the big worry, it's a Dometic RM510 so it doesn't run on DC while driving (Shore power or propane) I was worried the food would start to warm up if we drove too long. It's self igniting so I'll just leave it on all the time.

The furnace is also self igniting but the water heater and stove have pilot lights that need to be manually lit.

I'll probably upgrade the WH to self igniting but I won't have time before this summers trip.

Jeff

Technically you should also shut off self-igniting appliances while fueling.  If the igniter sparks while gasoline fumes are present, KaBOOM!  The risk is tiny but the result is truly a calamity.  Diesel fumes aren't really a risk, but gasoline and propane vapors are volatile.

I don't worry about it. The fridge stays on propane when traveling then shore power to save gas at campgrounds, even if the gas is off it will stay cold for hours as long as it is not opened frequently.  I do shut the gas off when refuelling and on ferries where it is required. I have had the hw pilot blow out a few times but it is not a major issue

I was advised to shut off the propane tank while driving, and to make sure the pilot was out before I go. Is this all wrong? I'd hate to make a mistake with propane!

It is NOT wrong but... Most RVers leave the tank on, using propane to operate the fridge. The critical times where you should shut the propane off at the tank is when fueling or at ferries/tunnels etc. that mandate it. (Most modern appliances do not use pilot lights with the possible exception for the Oven. Because of its age, yours may have them however.)

reviving an old thread. I assume it’s ok to run the furnace in a class A while you’re going down the road? If the dash air keeps us warm enough while driving then its a non issue. I might drive it once in awhile over winter just to exercise it.

If you travel in an unwinterized rig in cold weather, you certainly want to run the furnace that heats the wet bay. Besides, it is so nice to get set up and have a nice warm rig.

On our class A, we almost always have the generator running as we travel, so the fridge is powered that way. When are at a fuel stop(we have a gasser) the gen stays running as we fill.
Our Bounder supposedly has a safety feature built in, that if you are running the fridge, water heater, and furnace off the batteries, and you are traveling, when you shut off the ignition, those flames will automatically go out, and not restart for 15-20min. after you restart the engine.

I generally turn off the WH when traveling no sense leaving it on. Water in tank stays hot if we stop for a meal. As a general rule I turn off the furnaces too unless we need the additional heat. I ALWAYS check and kill both if stopping for fuel.

In Oregon we are generally prohibited from pumping own gas, depending on location and time of day and if the Fire Marshall stubbed their toe when getting out of bed three weeks ago. The law clearly states that engines must be turned off but generators can be left running. Figure that one out. Twice I have been asked to kill generator. Several times I have been asked is that the generator running.

I suspect the generator rule is sorta like the confusion of filling propane bottles and ASME tanks.

Three answers:
Most modern Propane devices are DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) These will attempt to light. if they fail or blow out they reset and try again, and again, and if they fail a 3rd time. Lock out (NOTE sometimes it's simply a failure to detect the flame but that's another problem)

IF you have Pilot lights: Many pilot light devices have sensors that shut 'em down should the pilot fail

In the above two cases.. You are Safe to use while moving in my opinion HOWEVER your insurance agent will not agree with me.

Some devices may not have the proper safety sensors or they may not be working.
In that case. Replace them

Back
Top Bottom