Show me your workstation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex-Calif

I am planning on being a liveaboard, possibly before I retire as I leverage the current work from home to a full time gig.

One thing that will be important is a usable, workable computer station. I have attached my floor plan and the only two logical places are to lose the settee which is a bad deal and a big drama or rework the space with the lounge chair that is on a swivel.

I am thinking to relocate the chair ~5 inches inboard and a couple inches forward (to center on the wall) and then build/attach a folding table that would lay flush on the wall when not in use and the chair can stay. The table width looks like it can be as much as 26 inches. Alternately if the chair turns out not suitable for desk work I don't mind losing it for an office chair that I would permanently attach to the floor.

Although technically I lose a seat belt and a traveling position - not a huge issue because 99% of the time it's just gonna be 2 on board and there are 5 other belted seats + driver and pasenger.

The other idea is that I like 3 screens but could live with 2. I am thinking to build a mount that will partially cover the window but will hold a 19-24 inch screen. I may even do the TV here and use the TV as a computer screen for multi use.

So if you have built a workstation in your RV - please share some ideas and photos - comments welcome...

Attachments

• Marvin Floor Plansmall.JPG
    Marvin Floor Plansmall.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
  • desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 84
When I first got my coach I gave the sofa away to the guys at the RV dealer for their work lounge and I put a full size work desk in the place where the couch was.

Later I got a smaller desk and put it on the other side of the area and got a sleeper sofa for the space where the desk was.

Attachments

• r002.jpg
    r002.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 98
  • ro2n.jpg
    ro2n.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for sharing HueyPilotVN

For scale what is the horizontal dimension of the monitor on the smaller work desk?

You have quite a bit more lateral room it seems. I have a 28 inch horizontal tv I am going to trial fit and a 24 inch (22 horizontal) picked out as an alternate.

The laptop on the left is about 9 inches across so the monitor is about 28 to 30 inches.

At one time I had the flat screen mounted on a wall mount with a pull out swivel.  It was securely attached to the area just to the left where the light sconce is.  I used two short lengths of 2X4s between the windows mounted vertically to the wall with toggles and painted white, (you could not see them anyway.  I mounted the TV wall mount to these and it was secure and could pull out and turn either way.

I looked for a picture and will keep looking.

Related but not the answer...

Do you need decent wifi to do your job or are you ok without?  Reason for asking is that oftentimes we are in areas with poor or no wifi, and poor or no cell coverage (out West). 

Not sure if you have researched this already but if not and you need wifi then you might want to  add it to your list ?

HueyPilotVN said:
When I first got my coach I gave the sofa away to the guys at the RV dealer for their work lounge and I put a full size work desk in the place where the couch was.

Later I got a smaller desk and put it on the other side of the area and got a sleeper sofa for the space where the desk was.

You've got too many pictures stored. You should get rid of some of them.  :mad: :-\ :mad:

HueyPilotVN said:

Bill, the OP asked for pictures of RV workstations - it appears you inadvertently posted a picture of Mission Control during the Apollo program  ;)

Dan from Dayton, we had our computer workstation added at the time of motorhome delivery by Davis Cabinet in Eugene OR.  We wanted a large file drawer which is the lower drawer.  All the drawers extend all the way to the outside wall.  Above it is another large drawer for pencils, notepads, a scanner, and other office supplies.  The smaller odd-shaped drawer on top holds a very small printer in the front and a ream of paper in the back.  There's a small "mouse house" space to the right of laptop pull-out.  The desktop lifts up so you can arrange cables and keep them out of sight.  The louver cabinets hide other accessories.  We wanted a section that was tall enough to hold a tower or another laptop.  Each cabinet has an adjustable shelf that can be removed should you want an old-fashioned desktop instead of a laptop as shown.  We opted to remove the swivel chair and small "cocktail" table that originally were in the space and we've been quite happy with it.  By the way, we learned from various friends to face mostly forward so we can see the TV from the computer chair.  Our friends who faced the window said they got crooks in their necks trying to see TV while working.  Someone else said having a chair in the aisle facing the window made it difficult for others to walk around it.  We have one slideout on the opposite side from the computer desk.  Hope this helps!

ArdraF

Attachments

• Desk -01 (Medium).JPG
    Desk -01 (Medium).JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Desk -04 (Medium).JPG
    Desk -04 (Medium).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Desk -10 (Medium).JPG
    Desk -10 (Medium).JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Desk -11 (Medium).JPG
    Desk -11 (Medium).JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 66
jackiemac said:
Related but not the answer...

Do you need decent wifi to do your job or are you ok without?  Reason for asking is that oftentimes we are in areas with poor or no wifi, and poor or no cell coverage (out West). 

Not sure if you have researched this already but if not and you need wifi then you might want to  add it to your list ?

WiFi is going to be dependent on what happens.

Option 1 - They don't let me continue working from home. I have 2 years to retirement. Wifi won't be important.  I can tether to my phone or pick up a cellular hotspot. Pretty much won't be working from the RV.

Option 2 - They let me continue to work from home and I become a liveaboard. I will likely move to an "RV Community" and the little reearch I have done I can get a cable hook up or the facility was Wifi. I likely would be looking for cable because Skype over internet will be important. I am a big streamer so I will be looking for a semi-permanent spot primarily to live cheap - I am really used to downloading media for when I do hit the road. I did international travel a lot for business and there's basically nothing worth watching in the places I went so I survived with my iPad.

I am sure I won't need high bandwidth if/when I am on the move.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks AdraF - that certainly is a beautiful layout you have.

I have remeasured and I think I can get a 31 in desk in the space. Depth will be and I am looking at 15-16" max.  I am thinking something like the attached.

Attachments

• desk.JPG
    desk.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 41
  • desk2.JPG
    desk2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 39
In our first coach, we removed the dining table and had a cabinet maker build a pullout pantry next to the refrigerator.  We designed a hinged desk on its side. As a liveaboard, you know there?s never such thing as too much galley storage.  For a 9X36 footprint, we gained a TON of storage and a workspace to boot.

Attachments

• 0BF9457A-CAE1-4A9A-AAE7-74A09C173C85.jpeg
    0BF9457A-CAE1-4A9A-AAE7-74A09C173C85.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 003B8843-5470-4CCB-B156-5BC220059A0A.jpeg
    003B8843-5470-4CCB-B156-5BC220059A0A.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 06FC1724-3155-413B-A2A4-2CEA0E07C42D.jpeg
    06FC1724-3155-413B-A2A4-2CEA0E07C42D.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 63
Wow, those 2 solutions look fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do, hopefully you will get your request granted.

You two make me laugh.  A good sense of humour is a necessity in life and I am glad you both have one...  ;D

Here's a thread from 2012 about this.  There are a lot of photos.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,50203.0/all.html

However, this was at a time when not many people used more than one monitor.

I posted in that thread about my setup, which won't work for most people because it depends on having a 7-1/2 foot ceiling, which allows the bed over the engine in my DP to be raised to fully upright instead of at an angle, and a desk cantilevers out from under it.

Back
Top Bottom