Air conditioning conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Basement air Model No. 6535-671
Ser No. 080313859

History:
Aug 2018 R&R outdoor Fan Bearing. (Noisy operation)
Apr 2019 R&R outdoor fan start capacitor (fan would not run, A/C shuts down)
Jun 2020 During a recent trip, turned system on, compressors came on, but outdoor fan not running. At next campground where maintenance was not allowed, they offered me the business card of a mobile RV tech allowed to work on the property. I had to whine and plead for him to even look at it, him saying he was certified on rooftop units, but not this one. After several minutes of pleading, I showed him how to drop the unit and troubleshoot. Capacitor checked OK, squirrel cage free to turn. Started unit outside the coach and it operated normal!

Installed unit, outside fan did not operate. Manually turned the squirrel cage (underneath through the screen) and it started! Of course, yesterday as we approached Phoenix, AZ it would not run. Thinking I would need a new motor, I dropped the unit once again today to find a part number. Turned the unit on with the coach plugged in to 30 amp power, unit operates! Both compressors operating, drawing 30 amps. Shut down, started again with genset powering the coach. System operated normal, start up drawing initial 24 amps, again drawing 30 amps with both compressors running. Don't want to reinstall the unit without doing anything, but don't want to buy a motor unless it is needed. Your thoughts, please.

From your history and description,  my guess would be, either a bad or weak capacitor or motor bearings. I know you have just replaced them, but your description fits, unless the blower wheel is dragging. If the motor shaft was worn too much or they did not lube properly going back together, motor could be dragging and overheating. Sometimes new capacitors have short or NO life.
The least work would be, first check the capacitor with a meter that tells if it is producing to its rated capacity.
Another option would be, get it running & check the amp draw on the capacitor lead (I think this is a run capacitor instead of a start capacitor). It won't be much, but at least you can tell if the connection is made. If no draw running, either the capacitor is bad or the lead to the motor is open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom