term for first trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karensay

I am looking for a TERM I saw somewhere on the RV Forum that is used for a first trip.

It isn't MAIDEN VOYAGE or SHAKE DOWN.

I am a scrapbooker, and I plan to make an album of our Camping Adventures.  We went on our first 3 day trip to a local place 3 weeks ago and next week we are traveling a little bit further.  We are trying to prepare ourselves for an even longer trip from SC to CT.

TWO YEARS TWO MONTHS until Retirement!!!!!

Did it have something to do with driveway camping?

Someone suggested that to me before I take my first trip and I will be moving in on June 20th prior to my first departure on June 26th...

Shakedown is a test trip to make sure it does not shake apart (Don't laugh sometimes they do. Many RV's have a few screws loose and some loose nuts too. The Metal kind that is. and as a result they shake apart.. Mine one screw on a circuit breaker took 3.5 turns to lock down)

Maiden voyage is the first REAL trip.

No, it was something else I saw here.  Since we bought a 'used' TT, I think Shake Down would refer to a first trip after purchasing new.

Nothing to do with Driveway, since that is not what we did.  We drove 30 minutes away to a a military rec area on a lake.

Now that I am getting older, I should know to WRITE IT DOWN and not trust my memory to remember things.

SeilerBird said:
You can't really put a name on the first trip until you return from it sucessfully.

Haha, so true! It could be "Raving Success" ... or maybe "Worst Nightmare" ... but probably something in between. ;)

Took our first and second trips this Summer and looking forward to out last mini trip next week.  The long trip to CT (was supposed to leave tomorrow) had to be canceled due to Quarantine rules.  And we live in a Hot Spot state.

Always do an affirmative head count (that's probably too long of a term for a maiden voyage).

On my first trip the DW, who had been napping in back, stepped out of the RV at a gas stop while I was filling up.  When I got back in I asked my 2 young children if everyone was in the rig and I got a thumbs up.  Down the road, an hour later, I realized the mistake. 

Maybe that's why she is now an ex-DW.

thelazyl said:
Always do an affirmative head count (that's probably too long of a term for a maiden voyage).

On my first trip the DW, who had been napping in back, stepped out of the RV at a gas stop while I was filling up.  When I got back in I asked my 2 young children if everyone was in the rig and I got a thumbs up.  Down the road, an hour later, I realized the mistake. 

Maybe that's why she is now an ex-DW.

My parents did that with one of the brothers on a road trip in the late 60's. Probably figured it out 30 miles later. Of course it was his fault entirely. Not like the parents need to keep track of the kids or anything.

There were 7 kids. They were always misplacing one or another of us. Also had a hard time keeping names straight. So like Cosby said were were pretty much named, "Hey you" and "Gosh Darnit"

Mom also reported the car stolen once after coming out of the grocery store. After completing the police report and getting a ride home from the nice officers the car was in the driveway - It was a nice day so she decided to walk to the grocery store and forgot she had. I am amazed we survived.

John From Detroit said:
Shakedown is a test trip to make sure it does not shake apart (Don't laugh sometimes they do. Many RV's have a few screws loose and some loose nuts too. The Metal kind that is. and as a result they shake apart.. Mine one screw on a circuit breaker took 3.5 turns to lock down)

Maiden voyage is the first REAL trip.

Since I haven't found the words I thought I was looking for, I think I will go with the SHAKEDOWN TRIP for that local trip.  thanks!

Back
Top Bottom