Tire time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blues Driver

My  Winn. Vista 2010 26P on the Ford F53 chassis has 225/70 OR 19.5  Chinese made Double Coin tires 3 years 2 mos old. 34k miles.  I'm seeing small cracks/ splits in the body of the tires between the treads. Not on the sidewalls.
Is this a sign of imminent failure? 
I priced tires at the only local tire dealer ... Sailun  .. chinese made. 6 tires  $1165 .  The dealer told me they are trailer tires and carry no warranty as people regularly overload them.

Before buying this rig, in anticipation of needing tires I visited a larger dealer looking for Bridgestone. He recommended Firestone as being equal in quality and approx $100 per tire less money .  This is the tire he sells the most of.

Your thoughts, experience please.
Thanks
Pat

I live in Mesquite Nv.    I'll be going to St. George Ut, 40 miles, to shop next.

The Sailun tire is described as    225/70R 19.5 128/126L G Sailun S737 M and S BW

I'm no tire expert, but I believe hearing that minor surface cracks (especially within the tread) can be normal. A more immediate sign of failure is if the tires are overheating and/or losing pressure when in use. Consult some more sources before you go out and replace 3yo tires that could very well last another 4-5 years under normal care and maintenance.

Here is a product page for the Sailun S737's. They are NOT a trailer tire, which anyone familiar with tires should know from the lack of "ST" designation as Joel mentioned. They are clearly labeled as commercial bus/truck tires, so I'd doubt the credibility of any tire shop representative who told you they're intended for use on trailers.

Re: Firestone vs. Bridgestone, I had Firestones on my first Class A motorhome and they did just fine. I would have no problem buying those, but it always pays to research a little online and see if you can find any customer reviews/comments on the specific model tire you might purchase.

Firestone is a Bridgstone brand and in many cases are the identical tire to a Bridgestone model but with a different name embossed on the side.  It's usually a wise choice, but pay attention to the tire specs more than brand names.

I priced tires at the only local tire dealer ... Sailun  .. chinese made. 6 tires  $1165 .  The dealer told me they are trailer tires and carry no warranty as people regularly overload them.
Sailun is a low-priced tire brand and probably not top quality, but I would avoid any dealer who gives out erroneous advice like that. The Sailun tire you identified is not a "trailer tire" (see Scotty's reply).

darsben said:
Most TIRE COMPANIES including Michelin make tires in China.
So CHINESE made tires are not inherently bad. Where it goes bad is the no name or house brand tires that are not Quality controlled well.

Michelin also makes tires in a large factory in Ardmore, OK.

The Michelin Ardmore factory makes car tires, but Michelin makes light and heavy truck tires in Dothan, AL and Spartanburg, SC. Odds are a Michelin bought in the USA was made in the USA, but they have factories worldwide and some sizes are unique enough they are made in only one factory.  Michelin's Shenyang, China, tire plant produces about 12 MILLION tires yearly, both car and truck types/sizes..

And the point I was trying to make is that it is not where the tire is made it is the company behind the tire. If it is a Michelin I would not hesitate to put it on my vehicle no matter where made. because Michelin appears to have great quality control with good formulas
If it is Billy Bobs tire outlet brand then I really would worry about the quality of the tire because it had  questionable quality control

Big fan of Michelin tires for our RV, and my pickup -
check these out - not cheap - but I think they would be a great ride for your RV: 225/70R19.5 Michelin XZE tires

Guys. The Winnebago Vista is a motorhome, not a trailer. Discussing putting trailer tires on motorhomes is going off into the weeds.

I checked the Toyo MI54 compared ot the firestone at a large truck tire dealer.  Basically the same price as the firestone.
I think the recommendations reflect the tire they just bought a train (or boat) load of. 
I have used toyo's on my suv for years and quite happy with them.
Pat

ChasA said:
Guys. The Winnebago Vista is a motorhome, not a trailer. Discussing putting trailer tires on motorhomes is going off into the weeds.
REread the OP's post. He was told double Coins were trailer tires. All answers about trailer tires is in response to the post.

Blues Driver Said; "I priced tires at the only local tire dealer ... Sailun  .. chinese made. 6 tires  $1165 .  The dealer told me they are trailer tires and carry no warranty as people regularly overload them."

Emphasis added by me

Les schwab tires is very good covering the far west.  They do sell truck tires, so will generally have your size.

darsben said:
REread the OP's post. He was told double Coins were trailer tires. All answers about trailer tires is in response to the post.

Blues Driver Said; "I priced tires at the only local tire dealer ... Sailun  .. chinese made. 6 tires  $1165 .  The dealer told me they are trailer tires and carry no warranty as people regularly overload them."

Emphasis added by me
So does that help the OP finding tires for his motorhome?  No!

Buy the 225/70R19.5 Michelin XZE tires, its not a place to skimp.  You'll forget the cost once you're safely driving down the highway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom