Adding a Second AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caspian2

We recently purchased a 30 ft 5th wheel that came with one AC 15000 BTU. We live in south Florida and we used it couple weeks ago and it could not keep up with the heat. AC runs fine and plenty of cold air comes out of vents. The 5th wheel has the prep ready to adding a second AC in the front. It would basically be place in the existing vent opening close to the front of the unit. I validated that has the power and thermostat wiring their. The existing AC is AIRXCEL 48000 series manufactured by Coleman. My question is should I install the exact model as my existing one or use a different model or profile for second unit. Thanks.

Go with your most efficient unit at the best price. Matching them may have a slightly more aesthetic look if they were the same, but that's about it. Check to make sure that the new unit will have it's own breaker in the panel.

SargeW said:
Go with your most efficient unit at the best price. Matching them may have a slightly more aesthetic look if they were the same, but that's about it. Check to make sure that the new unit will have it's own breaker in the panel.
And does it have to be ducted or inducted. The one I added was unducted so there was no sheet metal work at all.

you need an unducted model. No way to do any duct work.

The unit you have has one advantage they do not advertise. VERY EASY TO CLEAN condenser. 

It's a sucker to the crud collect on the visible side of the grill. you do not need to remove inner covers, just the outer cover.

It will be ducted to the existing duct system and I verified that duct extends to the vent opening where the AC gets installed. There are two duct openings, one on each side of the vent opening that tie to the main duct system. Looks like Jayco did a good job for prep work for 2nd AC (hopefully no surprises). I also checked for the breaker and It has it's own breaker separate from other AC.
Good to know that AIRXCEL is easy to clean the condenser, have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the inputs. I went ahead and ordered Airxcel (Coleman) 48000 series, 15000 BTU, ducted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom