Leaking exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brave

2004 Brave 8.1  the doughnut gasket where the exhaust pipe bolts up to the exhaust manifold is leaking  Sooner than taking it to get repaired does anyone think that high heat silicone or muffler cement will quiet it down ?

Brave said:
2004 Brave 8.1  the doughnut gasket where the exhaust pipe bolts up to the exhaust manifold is leaking  Sooner than taking it to get repaired does anyone think that high heat silicone or muffler cement will quiet it down ?

The silicone will burn out very quickly as will the muffler cement. Drop the pipe on the side that is leaking and replace the donut, you can coat it with muffler cement if you feel like it may still leak. spray the nuts with a good penetrating spray a couple of times and the nuts should come off a little easier.

Agree with the others; the donuts on the headers really need to be replaced.  It's a rather common problem on the Workhorse exhaust headers, so consider it a routine wear & tear item.

I have tried just about every high temp sealant on a cracked downpipe many years ago before I owned a welder. Every single one of them, including some rated for 1500F have burned off. As mentioned, the only option is replacement.

I did also try muffler cement to temporarily patch a hole in a muffler around the seams where I added sheet metal and it burned off faster than 600F red silicone. I honestly think muffler sealant is about as worthless as blinker fluid.

My advice is do it right the first time.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Workhorse-Parts/2007-Workhorse/2007-W22-Chassis/15020729-Exhaust-Donut-Seal-Gasket?filter=213

Give these folks a call with your VIN#

Half Hour job DIY, 2 bolts. $20 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom