RECHARGING MY BATTERY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markowb

I am going to be dry camping at a National Park for a week. I have a 29? Winnebago 5th wheel and a 1 year old Interstate 12V deep cycle battery.
I will only be using the lights sparingly and whatever the Dometic fridge uses.
I have a volt meter and have been told that the full charge is 12.7 and not to go below 11.9
Questions
1 About how many days will I have before I go from 12.7 to 11.9?
2 If I connect the RV to my vehicle sitting idle about how long will it take to charge the battery from 11.9 to 12.7?
3 If I take the battery out of the RV and connect it to an average battery charger where there is an electric outlet about how long will it take to charge from 11.9 to 12.7?
4 I am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks very much for your time to respond.

Markowb said:
I am going to be dry camping at a National Park for a week. I have a 29? Winnebago 5th wheel and a 1 year old Interstate 12V deep cycle battery.
I will only be using the lights sparingly and whatever the Dometic fridge uses.
I have a volt meter and have been told that the full charge is 12.7 and not to go below 11.9
Questions
1 About how many days will I have before I go from 12.7 to 11.9?  maybe one day
2 If I connect the RV to my vehicle sitting idle about how long will it take to charge the battery from 11.9 to 12.7? hours and hours.
3 If I take the battery out of the RV and connect it to an average battery charger where there is an electric outlet about how long will it take to charge from 11.9 to 12.7?approx 4 to 8 hours
4 I am open to any other suggestions. buy or rent a generator
Thanks very much for your time to respond.

Regardless of what you may think a typical RV consumes a lot of power. You also forgot about the water pump as an example.  If you had the refer only a week would be easy.  Each light bulb draws a lot when your looking to squeeze everything out of it.

Are your lights LED? That also makes quite a difference.

Markowb said:
I am going to be dry camping at a National Park for a week. I have a 29? Winnebago 5th wheel and a 1 year old Interstate 12V deep cycle battery.  I will only be using the lights sparingly and whatever the Dometic fridge uses.

LED lights draw much less power than incandescent so it's worth the trouble to retrofit if you can.

12.78V at 77F.  It will be a little higher when colder, a little lower when warmer. 

The "not to go below" number depends on a number of factors.  11.9V even as a static voltage would be a fairly conservative cutoff.  When the battery is being used, i.e. connected to the refrigerator and turning lights on and off the "not to go below" number is 10.5V.  Some equipment might complain about diminishing battery voltage so it would be a good idea to test that out and know the low limit before you go.

1 About how many days will I have before I go from 12.7 to 11.9?

To realize all the storage the battery has, this would be down to 10.5V.  So that factors significantly into your run time.  Propane refrigerators don't draw a lot, mine is like 350mA at 12.5V.  Your battery is probably in the neighborhood of 75Ah so that would be about 9 days.  Lights can draw more but if they're not on for long that power average is usually pretty low too.  A week might be possible with frugal use.  Throw a solar panel on it or a few boost charges along the way and that would seal the deal.

2 If I connect the RV to my vehicle sitting idle about how long will it take to charge the battery from 11.9 to 12.7?

It's not a linear function, and alternators aren't the best at restoring the charge on a storage battery very quickly.  It will bring up the "bottom" 2/3rds relatively fast but restoring the last quarter to a third can take a few hours.  So you may have to be content with doing this a few times and restoring~70% a few times vs 100% once or twice with the charge time you get.

3 If I take the battery out of the RV and connect it to an average battery charger where there is an electric outlet about how long will it take to charge from 11.9 to 12.7?

Depends a lot on the charger.  Some are only good for a few amps and would take a full day or more.  A "fast" charger or RV converter will do it a lot faster but in this context you're still talking 4 or 5 hours to >90%. 

4 I am open to any other suggestions.

When I had a popup camper I did the same exact thing you're proposing here.  I didn't have a fridge though, just lights, radio and device charging.  I'd either run the popup right off the car battery or using a wheelchair battery inside.  I'd let the car idle a half hour or so in the morning and the evening and that covered my modest power needs.  I also had a portable solar panel I'd throw on the roof to grab a few Ah during the day which didn't hurt.

What I'd want to know before I tried this is exactly what power the refrigerator and other devices used.  I'd test the battery to see what it was capable of, and then have some idea how many hours/days I could realistically go between charges.  I would charge at any opportunity I got regardless of how much was left, rather than run the battery completely down and expecting a speedy recharge. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It takes hours and hours to recharge
A better recharge method depending on your converter is an inverter generator  Very quite very fuel effiencent

A 1000 watt is good for converters up to around 60 amps or so.
a 2000 watt will handle any converter you have
A 3 stage converter is also recommended. Mine is a Progressive Dynamics 9180+wizard IT draws between 1000 and 1100 watts max and can run on a Generac 1000 portable (This is not an inverter generator and though rated at 1000 the one I had no problem it would kick out 1200 surge. Plus in fact it woudl trip a 10 amp breaker (1200 watts needed to do that)
( I included the info on the Generac to illustrate the power needs of the PD-9180 only. I recommend an inverter generator  RUn it daytime all day)

One 40w incandescent bulb consumes 3 amps. If the light is on 4 hours that?s 12amps. X 8 nights = 96 amps.

If you are gonna boondock you should at least get a 50w portable solar panel. If you are lucky you might make 25 amps a day. Relying on the car alternator or finding a plug in can help but I am pretty sure you won?t make 9 days.

Switching to LED lights would help a ton. As mentioned you may also be charging devices and you probably want more than 1 light bulb on.

If this is a one time deal you can adjust and make do. If this is going to be a regular thing you need a power plan which might include getting a 1000w generator more solar and more battery storage.

You've heard the basics .  Lighting sucks quite a bit of power if not led. Water pump and fridge are negligible, as is the power for the water heater circuit board. If you are really as sparing as you claim (most people are not), you might get 3 days. More likely just 1-2.  If it should turn cold and you run the furnace a bit, you won't even get thru the first night.

The rule of thumb is that discharging a lead acid battery below 50% capacity will shorten its useful life.  Doing that once is nothing to worry about, but doing it more often will soon kill the battery.  50% is about 11.9v, but the number is just a reference point. Staying above that is better and going below that is more harmful the further you go, so keep that in mind.

You can do a little charging via the tow vehicle, but it needs to be at least a fast idle and still takes hours to make much difference. It's more of an emergency back-up than a practical way to charge the battery.

A simple easy way to charge your pretty well:

The first morning you are at camp, measure the battery voltage to get your starting point.

Take the battery out of the RV and using auto battery jumper cables attach the battery to your car/truck battery and let the vehicle idle for an hour or so.  If you can find a way to safely increase the car RPMs to about 1200-1500 RPM you may be able to reduce your idle time to 30-45 minutes.  The alternator puts out a lot more amps at a the higher RPMs. 

Now, if you try to check the battery voltage right away you will be measuring the surface charge (probably about 13.0-13.6 volts).  You need to let the battery rest for a while before checking the voltage. 

So put the battery back in the RV and after about 1 hour come back and measure the voltage.  If the voltage is only about 12.4 or 12.3 volts repeat the above charging process.  If your voltage is 12.5 or 12.6 you should be good to go for another day.  You could also put the battery back in the RV with everything off except the fridge running on propane and come back to camp in the afternoon and do the voltage check/charging process.

This is assuming you have a good fully charged battery.  If the battery has been in the RV for a year or two, or the RV was not used or in storage for several months and you didn't keep the battery fully charged with a charger, it would be better if you bought a new battery for the trip.

For what it is worth, in our early days (early 2000's) we traveled in our travel trailer or 5th wheel doing what you plan to do.  Just using a couple of incandescent lights for about 2 hours at night, no TV, no computers, no fans, fridge on propane we would go for several days w/o the battery getting so low the lights would start dimming. 

I didn't check the battery voltage.  Didn't know about all the battery voltage readings.  Also I don't know just how much good info was out there on the internet around 2002-2004.  If the info was there I didn't know about it.  I was ignorant of all that good stuff. 

Trying to charge by hooking the RV to the car/truck with the light hookup cable does not work well.  The long wire length 20-40 feet and small wire size (#12 or maybe #10) means you don't get much voltage & current all the way to the battery.  For this to work you need to run really heavy wire, #6 or better yet #4 and best would be #2 from the auto battery to the RV battery.

Finding elect outlets in a national park is not easy.  You might be able to find an outlet in the bathroom.  I have seen people leave there battery & charger at the bathroom getting charged.

Rather than idling a vehicle engine to death, just pick up a 1000-watt Sportsman inverter generator to charge your battery(s) with. I bought mine from Home Depot for $199 and won't go boondocking without it.  It's quiet and sips a little gas too.

You will be real glad you have it when out in the boonies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-1-000-800-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-802085/300792167

It's $199 right now, but probably won't be on sale much longer.

Even a 100-watt solar panel would help out too.

It's my assumption that you are hooking up the generator to the camper to charge the battery in that manner? Or are you connecting the generator directly to the battery? We had an older Honda that had the ability to connect directly to the battery but the latest generator we have did not come with that capability I believe.

I use a deep cycle battery charger to keep the batteries up on our farm equipment, as there may be several days (or longer) between uses on some pieces. One tractor has several on-board computer modules that will draw a small amount of power continuously. This charger has performed very well on all of them. Only problem. https://www.rvhometown.com/best-deep-cycle-battery-chargers/

Tebpac said:
It's my assumption that you are hooking up the generator to the camper to charge the battery in that manner? Or are you connecting the generator directly to the battery? We had an older Honda that had the ability to connect directly to the battery but the latest generator we have did not come with that capability I believe.

Many small generators have a 12 volt outlet/tap  Ignore it, junk, no regulation, no filtering, nasty.

Plug the RV in or in a very few cases (The RV I had was like this) plug just the CONVERTER in.  (it was a plug in model)

My Progressive Dynmacs 9180 plug in failed many times.. all but one the plug fell out of the outlet so I plugged it back in  one time I had to replace it with a 9180R plug in (That took about 30 minutes total time over two days 20 to get it out 10 to put it back (had to figure out where the screws were) and a 30 mile round trip from where I was parked to progressive Dynamics Factory)

Camper25 said:
Rather than idling a vehicle engine to death, just pick up a 1000-watt Sportsman inverter generator to charge your battery(s) with. I bought mine from Home Depot for $199 and won't go boondocking without it.  It's quiet and sips a little gas too.

You will be real glad you have it when out in the boonies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-1-000-800-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-802085/300792167

It's $199 right now, but probably won't be on sale much longer.

Home Depot still has this generator on sale for $199.  I just placed an order for one, my 21 year old Honda EU1000i runs fine but is getting a little long in the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom