Looking to Re-Paint my 1975 Terry TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyV

Hey!! It has been a little bit since I have been on here. I hope all is well with everyone! I am looking to Re-Paint my 1975 Terry TT. Any suggestions as to wait kind of paint i can use that would work? I'm assuming some sort of automotive paint, but I do not want to pay a professional to do. Any insight would be appreciated.

A friend did a roller, wrinkle, finish with his older camper, looks pretty cool. They sell aluminum paint at the box stores.  All depends on the outcome you want.  I would think brushing would be least good.  maybe even a cheap box store spray gun.

Exterior?  If so, is it the corrugated metal siding?  You can use any paint rated for use on metal.  Brushing or spraying is easiest on the corrugated-type surface and you probably want a fairly glossy paint, both for looks and easier washing.

The July/August issue of Family Handyman has an article about redoing a 1972 Terry Aluminum trailer.  In the article, it says they used an oil-based Krylon Farm and Implement Paint they got at O'Reilly and to make it more durable they added Krylon's catalyst hardener.  They applied the paint with a roller and it looked great.  They did considerable prep work before painting. 

Modern automotive paints can be really toxic.  Not something you want to attempt at home.  Heck, even impliment paints can be really dangerous to spray.  What ever you use prep is the key.  Clean the exterior thoroughly, using TSP or something similar.  Followed by an etching primer.  Then using a brush or roller, or maybe something like a wagner power sprayer paint it using  an acrylic house paint.  Back in the day we had aluminum siding on a house and the paint lasted for years.

I would think you would want to pressure wash with detergent to remove any oil film before painting. Mask off everything you don?t want painted including all windows. Spatter from a roller or brush will be attracted to any uncovered glass.

my neighbor at the storage lot painted his TT a couple years ago.  Used some sort of marine epoxee paint sprayed with an automotive style spray gun. 
I don't care for the color and stripe style choice, and there are some flaws....but the paint job looked good and looks great a several feet away

You can find good really long lasting farm and implement paint at Tractor Supply for 1/3 the price. I've used it for 50 years with excellent results.

Hey everyone thanks for the helpful tips!!! Based on all of these, I will come up with a plan and make something happen!!!

Back
Top Bottom